Nokia kicks off Windows Phone 7 campaign with Antennagate teaser spot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Marketing 101 - Never bring up your competitors, it only takes the spotlight off of your product, and could back fire depending on the consumer. Especially when the competitive issue is two years old and has since been resolved. Nokia has not only ignored those principles, but actually paying someone to do it. I will enjoy seeing them crash and burn.

Yet Apple has a long history of doing the same thing...
  • Reply 22 of 134
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Never mind that, ever since the iPhone, Nokia hasn't had a smartphone worth touching.
  • Reply 23 of 134
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    I'm so glad I ditched my iPhone 4 for a 4S- big difference all over. Antennagate or not.

Apple wouldn't be paying iPhone 4 users $15 NOW unless something was factually wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nokia originally became the sad laughing-stock of the industry because they had no self-respect and didn't give a f about brand image.

Apparently not much has changed.
  • Reply 25 of 134
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yet Apple has a long history of doing the same thing...

And doing it correctly, with smarts and style. Have you been asleep for the last decade?

There's a difference. Those who *understand* marketing can spin virtually any style of ad campaign into gold.
  • Reply 26 of 134
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

You are forgeting that not everyone is into tech like you and me. Most people actually have lives and when they see the ads will subconsciously start being the effect it. It is a perfect example of FUD in operation. Apple and all companies do the same thing. It is all a part of fooling (I mean marketing) the public.

So the next time said consumer is comparison shopping the doubt will be there (even if it is not true) Business is all about perception and that's advertisings job, to influence perception.

Notice they also get in a aura of the economic downturn/unemployment: "But I want to know how to hold it." "Fire him" (throwing something at his head).

Seems like a bad plot device in a movie. Which ad agency came up with this????
  • Reply 27 of 134
    It's unfortunate that people don't understand that every phone looses some signal when you wrap your hand around it. It's even more unfortunate that people believe that the number of bars displayed is an accurate current measurement and display of phone reception. My 12 year old LG flip-phone with external antenna even looses bars when I hand-hold it. You can't defeat the laws of physics, but you can alter perception.

Bars provide a general signal reading, but they are buffered so that you get a steady reading over time. A drop in signal strength may take a minute or two to register with fewer bars. An increase in strength may take only 5 to 10 seconds to display more bars.

Advertising is nothing more than a game of deception. Algotithms are created to make you think your hand doesn't make a difference. It does, on every make of phone.

Besides hand blocking, signal strength varies because of cell-tower activity. you may be in one spot, but as other phones connect to them, your signal may be passed from one antenna to another antenna on the same tower, or even from one tower to another tower. Advertising isn't about communicating reality. It's all about what you think is reality.
  • Reply 28 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And doing it correctly, with smarts and style. Have you been asleep for the last decade?

There's a difference. Those who *understand* marketing can spin virtually any style of ad campaign into gold.

What do you mean doing it correctly? The message of those ads are exactly the same as what Apple tried with their ones, they are claiming their devices are better than their competitors.
  • Reply 29 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I'm so glad I ditched my iPhone 4 for a 4S- big difference all over. Antennagate or not.

There's numerous little signs that Microsoft's frenemy stance with Apple might be getting a little strained. Microsoft/Nokia, thru their proxy Mosaid, sued Apple again last month over another set of standards-essential patents that came from Nokia. Florian Mueller's tone towards Apple the past few months has been a bit more harsh when it involves issues that could also affect Microsoft, and as others have mentioned the new ad campaign smells like a MS effort to mock Apple.

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see the gloves come off if their Metro effort doesn't make an impact in the market.
  • Reply 30 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Apple wouldn't be paying iPhone 4 users $15 NOW unless something was factually wrong.

The $15 has nothing to do with antennagate. USA 4G is different than foreign 4G, so it doesn't work overseas. They didn't explain that clearly in their advertising.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    What a pathetic campaign. Nokia seems to be in panic mode. One has to wonder if in five years, they'll be the next RIM: A formerly dominant company destroyed by Android and Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post

Advertising isn't about communicating reality. It's all about what you think is reality.

... or actual antenna attenuation results, a different metric than reported signal strength.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

Unless of course you want to claim Anandtech faked the tests, which isn't totally out of the question. . . maybe 99.9% out of the question.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That horse was beaten to death, buried, eulogized, and forgotten two years ago.

So not only is Nokia and Microsoft late to the party, so is their marketing.

At least they're consistent.

When you've got a great product, it sells itself. When you don't, say and do anything.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I thought that the new Nokia handsets for wp7 were pretty good and if I was looking for an alternative to ios it would be my first point of call.

These adverts seem unnecessary as the new nokia handsets looks like a decent product. Maybe they are not confident in it and just need to create click bait vids?

I played with one and I wasn't impressed. It does work well (it's larger than I would like, but not obnoxiously so), and Windows Phone 7 is an improvement over Symbian, but it's not enough to make me switch.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... or actual antenna attenuation results, a different metric than reported signal strength.

Unless of course you want to claim Anandtech faked the tests, which isn't totally out of the question. . . maybe 99.9% out of the question.

And when you get to the part about actual use, the rest of the story comes out:

"From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."
  • Reply 36 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

At least they're consistent.

When you've got a great product, it sells itself. When you don't, say and do anything.

I don't know why they would invite comparison. It reminds me of Microsoft's mock funeral procession for iPhone and Android, back when they launched Windows Phone 7 with a whimper. It didn't just fail to suck the air out of the room, it failed to move a single molecule of air.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I have to ask:

1) What is the purpose of these ads?

2) At whom are they targeted?

3) What are they trying to motivate their target audience to do?

...They certainly aren't "brand promotion/recognition" ads -- more like simple trolling, actually...

• Reply 38 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Antenna is Improved

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.
    What this boils down to is Apple should have adjusted the signal bars to represent a lower dB before the iPhone 4 release because their clearly superior design of the iPhone 4 antennas allowed for connections that were not previously common with cellphones. They failed to account for this change and so people saw a drop in bars and thought this represented a lack of connectivity when the number of bars and the dB level are not static indications of the ability to make and receive calls and data across all phones.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    . . .
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Lame , lame lame.

I still have the first iPhone 4 and I have never, ever had a dropped call from the so called death grip. And why now. Why bring up this old issue nearly two damn years later?

Pathetic. Pathetic nokia.

It's still 2010 in Redmond. I think they made these ads when WinMo7 was new and didn't sell, so they are calling the 2010 WinMo7 "beta." What they will ship this year will still be WinMo7 but after two years, it's not beta any more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) There are two more of these teaser ads on Nokia's website. I'd say that two are attacking the iPhone, not just the deathgrip ad.

True, they are making fun of the iPhone, however people easily make the wrong connections and think it's about the advertised product - the net result is such ads backfire terribly.

Quote:

2) I'm not sure if they are effective as I hear they are confusing if you don't already know the inside story before watching them, but they are funny.

Exactly so, very confusing and the advertised product becomes associated with the deficiencies mentioned in the ads. However, they are really very funny ads!

Quote:

1) Campaigns aren't about the truth, it's about using fear and ignorance to sway you. Emotion is a powerful thing and has nothing to with rational thought.

Spot on... this is especially true when it's a political campaign.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Resurrecting a 2-year old iPhone controversy that few people remember as part of the ad campaign for your new phone? Did Nokia actually PAY someone to come up with this? This is the dumbest marketing idea I've heard in a long long time.

Two dumber campaigns come to mind:

Burger King and the Submissive Chicken site.

William Gates and the shoe store ads.