Intel says Ultrabooks trump MacBook Air, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Careful, Intel. AMD CPUs may be rubbish, but Apple can design their own you know.

Also...More affordable than the Air? False. Nobody's managed that yet without a compromise. More functional than the iPad? maybe. But also twice as expensive, and certainly less than twice as functional - and with shorter battery life.
  • Reply 22 of 131
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "...and with an operating system that people have come to love over the years, as well as all the legacy applications that they would like to run," they said."

What operating system would that be? Windows 8 that few people have used?
  • Reply 23 of 131
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Sounds like Intel is getting scared -- and they should be. Apple is as big a threat to Intel as to Microsoft (maybe even bigger).
  • Reply 24 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Intel has clearly noticed the plateauing of PC sales which seem to a direct result of the iPad's emergence as well as the rapid increase in ARM development to the point that even Windows can now run on ARM so they created the Ultrabook platform for Windows-based PC vendors as a way of trying to lock in premium CPU sales. Is that correct?
  • Reply 25 of 131
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Wasn't it already proven that people do not want that convertible laptop/tablet crap?

And if X86 based Windows 8 tablets come out, you do not think Intel will be trumpeting that fact?
  • Reply 26 of 131
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Are they for real?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roontoon View Post

What kind of crack are they smokin'?

I was thinking the same thing!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Intel is against against devices that don't uses their processors. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I can understand them comparing to the iPad but the MBA?! I don't get it.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member
    Laptop...tablet...laptop...tablet... when will these people learn they simply are not the same so stop comparing them. Geesh. And windows 8?!?!?!?! That's nothing new nor special. In fact its down right fugly imo.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

It's obvious that Apple can't rely on Intel as a key supplier when its representatives diss Apple's products. After courting Apple for all those years until Apple finally made the transition to Intel, is this how Intel pays Apple back? Cloning the products that Apple has developed and competing with one of its largest and prominent customers?

One could saynApple has given Intel the diss by going with ARM on their mobile devices and that is what seems to be Apple future too.

Intel knows they are going to be squeezed out sooner than later.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    these new ultrabooks are gonna be awesome.... to laugh at!!! hahahaaa
  • Reply 30 of 131
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    A few years ago, when Apple had just switched to Intel, there were a couple of Intel flacks who dissed Macs in some public forum somewhere, and boy did Intel's top brass come down hard on those two jokers. The CEO had to come out with a statement to basically contradict what the two flacks said. Seems we have a new pair of jokers. And it's a mixed pair this time.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

It's obvious that Apple can't rely on Intel as a key supplier when its representatives diss Apple's products. After courting Apple for all those years until Apple finally made the transition to Intel, is this how Intel pays Apple back? Cloning the products that Apple has developed and competing with one of its largest and prominent customers?

My thought exactly. I even wonder if Intel have the inside scoop on something we don't ... i.e. Apple moving away from Intel? This seem alike a preemptive strike to me. If not it might be a shot in the foot.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    The one thing seldom mentioned in these sorts of comparisons is that Windows-only products have absolutely no appeal to many of us.

Their whole ecosystem is limited and limiting. Microsoft has yet to produce a credible OS for a handheld, Android is a fragmented mess, and all of it - including Windows itself - is grotesquely insecure.

Intel is scared, and with good reason. Apple is not going to get out of the hardware market, and will increasingly roll its own.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Intel is against against devices that don't uses their processors. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Statements that are against products that just happen to be made by one of their major clients seems pretty short sighted. There is such a thing as keeping one's mouth shut. Unless as I said in a previous post, they suspect their days as an Apple supplier are short ...
  • Reply 34 of 131
    ...And the Co-CEO of RIM said they were technically WAY ahead of the iPad. I'll bet he wishes he could take that comment back.

Don't get me wrong, Intel makes some great products but with claims like this, they need to seek immediate medical advice.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

...and with an operating system that people have come to love over the years...

You have GOT to be kidding me.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    When they start off with ultra means pinnacle kind of bs you can hardly bare reading the rest...

Having said this lenovo's convertible yoga does look great and I am very impressed with the hinge design...but with windows on things start going south despite apple having done it's best with lion to mar their own os...

In any case if apple rushes those hidpi notebook displays they won't have much to worry about. There are concrete advantages to having a separate touch tablet and a non touch screen notebook or desktop, particularly so if cloud services become better in syncing content between the two. Which bears the question though, why does os x have to start looking unnecessarily like ios since product differentiation, that is different products for different uses, is apple's strategy - as it should be... OS X has converged unnecessarily close to ios in terms of looks, and even apple tv has done so.

Apple should realize that what looks and works great on one of their device doesn't look and work great on another, as is the case of the atv which is the ugliest ui to have come out of apple in recent (and not so recent) memory by virtue of it having to look like ios. I would say just keep a few minimal elements similar to allow for seamless transition from one device to the other, but don't ios-fy the whole line up. Atv for example doesn't have to look like ios, it just has to have a beautiful, simple and powerful in functionality interface. People won't won't have a problem using the atv because it doesn't look like ios, they 'll have a problem using it if it looks too much like ios when it doesn't have to, and when it doesn't have a great functioning interface of its own.

As an aside, shame that amd couldn't iron out production problems and get these fusion cpus up in volumes for the airs. Intel is well aware apple approached them. I still think amd and apple could have a common future, I don't see arm anywhere close to powering an apple notebook anytime soon.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:

"So we did extensive research into what users' expectations were for their mobile computing devices, and there were four things that really stood out."

Ah, yes. I've been to an Apple Store too.

Seriously, ultrabooks are just blatant copies of the MBA. That's fine. I have no problem with copying a good design. But they bring nothing new, except the likelihood of poor quality knockoffs.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    I have come to love windows, yeah right intel. Intel has lost it totally. They are clueless, and now they will destroy their goodwill.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Intel says a lot of things ....
  • Reply 40 of 131
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Cheap and plentiful is what the PC business is all about.

Wealth transfer from customers to shareholders is what Apple is all about.

Open your local Best Buy flyer and you're likely to see some variation on this:

An entry level MacBook Pro pictured next to a totally tricked out PC notebook with the latest quad core i7, a fancy discrete video chip with tons of VRAM, double the RAM, double the storage, etc.

The kicker? In almost every case the high end PC carries a lower price tag than the entry level Mac.

I like OS X and the aluminum unibody case is very practical, but there's no denying that Mac buyers pay a huge premium for them.