Intel says Ultrabooks trump MacBook Air, iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Intel wouldn't have an Ultrabook initiative if it wasn't for Apple pushing them during the development of the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    When I was new to using a personal computer I had Windows XP. I kept it through Service Pack 3. At first It worked OK. There were times when it would freeze for a while and I had no clue what was going on. I just restarted it. by my sixth year of using it the OS was driving me crazy. Even though I had no other reference OS for comparison I just was going nuts at times because of slowness, spyware, and things freezing. I had all the anti-virus and spyware cleaners. They just took a long time to run. I regularly defragmented the drive too.

So when these people say "...and with an operating system that people have come to love over the years,..." they must be insane or just flat out lying.

Vista was the epitome of junk. Windows 7 at one of my jobs was nearly as slow as Vista and wasn't much of an improvement.

I like the Ultrabook concept because some of these vendors are including USB 3 and card readers with them. Those are features that I can use now without needing specialized peripheral devices, unlike Thunderbolt. I'm almost certain I'll be getting a laptop with those features this summer. I'll just dual boot it and use Linux for almost everything except Netflix. I'll leave about twenty gigabytes for Windows.

I wish Apple would embrace USB 3. I'll await the new 7.85 inch device or perhaps the next 5" device Apple builds. If either of them is out by October that will become my go-to Apple device.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    Apple is not in direct competition with chip manufacturers. It is a customer. A customer of an industry that developed without Apple as their main customer. I am sure Apple is happy to pit chip suppliers against each other, and happy as well to let them sell their products to others.

As a business people, all of Apple's execs understand their suppliers for the most part cannot exist solely based on working with Apple. Of course they will pressure for allegiance where they can. But Intel would not be one of those companies. They need Intel.

Apple distributes products through Amazon, Amazon sells tablets against the iPad, the list goes on. With these big dogs there is no way to avoid complex relationships.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This must be why everyone I know owns one.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Keep talking, Intel. A lot of people including myself have written off the rumors about Apple porting OS X to ARM sometime in the next few years, but keep flapping your gums like this and Apple might just do it sooner rather than later.

Apple will do it sooner than later. That's because they are always ahead of the curve. My guess is if these UltraBooks come in at the right price point and are OK Windows machines, they will sell. However, Apple has nothing to fear no matter what UltraBooks has to offer. I can see Tim Cook sitting in his executive chair saying "bring it on," we're already working on the next great breakthrough and you're talking about parity of today's status quo.
  • Reply 46 of 131
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

"So we did extensive research into what users' expectations were for their mobile computing devices, and there were four things that really stood out."

Translation...

"We did a poll and everyone wanted Macbook Air... so we copied everything we could about it and called it Ultrabook."
  • Reply 47 of 131
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Windows 7, if that's what these will be running, easily trumps OS X 10.7 "Vista." So in that sense these are something to look forward to. As for machine quality, heft, battery life, it remains to be seen if these will in fact compete with the MacBook Air. Given that it's possible to buy an Apple refurb MBP less than $1000, these have some pretty tall orders to fill in terms of quality, features and price. My bet is that it will simply turn into another race to the bottom, where hardly anybody makes much money, and then, while they're busy beating each other up, Apple will blindside them with Next Big Thing.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    If I was one of you guys who are hurt by this I would totally stop buying anything with intel chips inside.

.......windows desktops for all then.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I really need to sell my INTC stock. This company is adrift

It will hurt, because it was my first real investment back in 1995. But oh my God, have they F***-up in the mobile space

You should have sold it by 1998.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by answercall View Post

The same old race to the bottom strategy employed by the pc industry vendors as they only know how to compete.

Actually, it's the only way they can compete. Not much differentiation other than shiny knobs if you have no choice but to use the same OS as the competition. People are not willing to pay extra for shiny knobs.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Could this have anything to do with the fact that Apple is finding Intel less relevant to their initiatives. Or is it that Intel is becoming the new harbinger of VAPOR predictions - the legal heir to Microsoft - VAPOR Masters?
  • Reply 52 of 131
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Steve would be on the phone asking for those Intel employees to be fired.

And perhaps they should.

Please Tim Cook, DO NOT BECOME RELIANT ON INTEL.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    This is a post PC world. MS and Intel are carving up last year's turkey! Intel is gonna need more than a fancy name to their high priced ecosystem-less computers.

"Why should I buy Wintel if I can have the real thing by buying an MBA" is the perception and perception is a reality that Wintel can't overcome no matter how many Ultra fancy words they concoct.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Hey how about this intel machine running as a mackintosh. I have been able to get OS X to run on quite a few intel laptops. Hmm.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Steve would be on the phone asking for those Intel employees to be fired.

And perhaps they should.

Please Tim Cook, DO NOT BECOME RELIANT ON INTEL.

Well they could always start to use AMD, which have much slower procesors. Or maybe use ARM designs for their desktops which again cant compete with Intel desktop processors AND will require a rewrite of more or less all desktop programs.

face it, its intel or you are screwed.

Its just a comment. Is that what it takes to get this army going?

Fine, go to AMD and enjoy your second rate performance. Or go to ARM and enjoy lagging WAYYYY behind in the power stakes.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mightymike View Post

This is a post PC world. MS and Intel are carving up last year's turkey! Intel is gonna need more than a fancy name to their high priced ecosystem-less computers.

"Why should I buy Wintel if I can have the real thing by buying an MBA" is the perception and perception is a reality that Wintel can't overcome no matter how many Ultra fancy words they concoct.

Doesn't the MBA have an Intel chip inside?

Doesn't that make your comment kinda dumb?

Just saying......
  • Reply 57 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My thought exactly. I even wonder if Intel have the inside scoop on something we don't ... i.e. Apple moving away from Intel? This seem alike a preemptive strike to me. If not it might be a shot in the foot.

I'm thinking the same thing. I bet that Apple is just about ready to switch their Mac line over to the A6 processor, starting at the bottom end.

How about a baby Mac Mini running on a multicore A6? Call it the Mac Nano. Bigger than an Apple TV, but smaller than a Mini. Perfectly usable for email, web browsing, videos, other lightweight tasks. Can run iOS apps, but uses a mouse. Boots from a small fast SSD, but also has a 2.5" hard drive. $300.

If I was Intel, I'd be really worried about something like that. Simple, robust, easy to use. Especially if the Mac Nano is followed by an MBA with an A7 for its heart. Intel who?
  • Reply 58 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

{referring to Apple switching to ARM} Apple will do it sooner than later. That's because they are always ahead of the curve. My guess is if these UltraBooks come in at the right price point and are OK Windows machines, they will sell. However, Apple has nothing to fear no matter what UltraBooks has to offer. I can see Tim Cook sitting in his executive chair saying "bring it on," we're already working on the next great breakthrough and you're talking about parity of today's status quo.

Sorry, but I don't see it. ARM just doesn't have the power to handle a laptop at this point. Maybe eventually, but not now.

I can, however, see the use for an 'iPad Pro' which would be essentially a netbook. iPad screen with a folding keyboard. Not really intended for much more than Internet access or maybe some very light iPhoto stuff. I don't see it replacing the MBA, much less the MBP, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Translation...

"We did a poll and everyone wanted Macbook Air... so we copied everything we could about it and called it Ultrabook."

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Windows 7, if that's what these will be running, easily trumps OS X 10.7 "Vista."

Pray tell.... in what way does Windows 7 trump Mac OS X 10.7? And what makes you think that OS X 10.7 was anything like Vista?
  • Reply 59 of 131
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    So Ultrabooks are better than Macbook Airs (which they are the same thing as) b/c they are Windows. Really? Lame. Also that Lenovo Yoga looks like a terrible idea. All my friends w/laptops have all kinds of things happen to the top of their laptop.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Doesn't the MBA have an Intel chip inside?

Doesn't that make your comment kinda dumb?

Just saying......

What part of Ecosystem-less don't you understand? Maybe you should stop saying and start thinking!!