Apple expected to become world's first trillion-dollar company by 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This is an interesting prediction.

I look forward to this, their future merger with Weyland-Yutani, and their company spin-off into Apple Communications, Apple Entertainment, Apple Vehicle Division, MacBook Airways, Apple Employment (otherwise known as the 'Job's Jobs Foundation'), Mac-To-The-Future Industrial Computers, Apple Robotic and Cybernetic Division, and Apple Terra-forming.

May we all live long, prosper, use the 4S, think differently, and be excellent to each other.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Totally agree. People just don't understand this fact yet. As one great example, take a look at Apple's newest commercial "iCloud". I sat 3 non-technical people in a room, and not one of them could tell me WTF was going on in that ad. The ad doesn't even have a voiceover to explain what you're watching onscreen. Steve Jobs NEVER would have approved that ad, but now that Phil Schiller is running the marketing show, there's nobody to keep his bad instincts in check anymore. Same thing with all the other executives... Ron Johnson is gone, and the worst retail guy in UK history is now running Apple Retail?! The Titanic is beginning to sink, the cracks are already showing, yet nobody is paying attention.

it is one of those weird ads to keep you " in the fold" as opposed to " getting you in the fold"...

or " now that were married, let me tell you about..."
  • Reply 23 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This is an interesting prediction.

I look forward to this, their future merger with Weyland-Yutani, and their company spin-off into Apple Communications, Apple Entertainment, Apple Vehicle Division, MacBook Airways, Apple Employment (otherwise known as the 'Job's Jobs Foundation'), Mac-To-The-Future Industrial Computers, Apple Robotic and Cybernetic Division, and Apple Terra-forming.

May we all live long, prosper, use the 4S, think differently, and be excellent to each other.

Can I play, too????

I predict that Apple will merge with France.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Splits have nothing to with the aggregate market value.

You have $20 in your wallet whether you have one $20 bill or two $10 bills or four $5 bills twenty $1 bills.

Name a company that didn't have its value go down after it was split into different divisions...

It will either start to do stupid things, and/or be forced to do things it doesn't want to do.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Apple will continue on its momentum for a while just like it did the last time Steve departed and it was highly profitable (during the Sculley era). However, these analysts seem to have no vision beyond extending a growth curve out beyond the present along the same line. Apple stock is in a bubble. Be sure to cash out before it pops!
  • Reply 26 of 81
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Name a company that didn't have its value go down after it was split into different divisions...

It will either start to do stupid things, and/or be forced to do things it doesn't want to do.

Apple has been split into divisions since forever.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    The idea that Apple's business can't be successful without Steve Jobs is ridiculous. Every other successful company has something in common with Apple — they don't have Steve Jobs either.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

The only two real divisions they have are Corporate and Retail. We'll see what happens when Apple Corporate gets split.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The idea that Apple's business can't be successful without Steve Jobs is ridiculous. Every other successful company has something in common with Apple ? they don't have Steve Jobs either.

Agreed!
  • Reply 30 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It's happened plenty of times. Remember back in the 80's and 90's when corporate raiders were buying companies and then splitting them up? The fact is that often a conglomerate is worth less than the sum of its parts.

Of course, if the 'parts' logically fit together (as Apple's do), then the conglomerate could be worth more than the sum of its parts. But that's not guaranteed.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

$1000 per share would put the market cap at $930B, not a trillion.

I think I calculated it will need to be $1074 per share, based on the current number of outstanding shares, to reach that level.

Quote:

Splits have nothing to with the aggregate market value.

You have $20 in your wallet whether you have one $20 bill or two $10 bills or four $5 bills twenty $1 bills.

Quote:

I think he means they will be forced to split the company into two separate companies. But I don't see why that would happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

PetroChina, when it launched on the Shanghai stock exchange was the first Trillion dollar company in 2007.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/nov/06/china

They really should qualify it was sustainable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

It's not going to happen. If Steve Jobs were still alive I'd say it was possible. But Apple has lost its visionary leader. Already, Apple has started to veer away from Steve's way of doing things in little ways. Over time that process will accelerate and Apple will become just another corporate monster. Apple's cachet, so meticulously cultivated by Jobs, will evaporate and sales will stagnate. The inevitable decline has already begun. Apple may be growing for now, but it's just momentum at this point. The driving force is gone.

You're so right¡ Steve died on October 5th and the iPhone 4S was launched on October 14th. If he had been alive there is no way they would have used the same look and design as the iPhone 4. What was Apple thinking?
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:

At&T?

That is just a guess, BTW.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:

I thought you were referring to stock splits. I see you're referring to the market value impact of splitting up a company.

Actually, a preponderance of the empirical evidence there suggests that in enhances value, by getting rid of a conglomerate discount, aligning incentives better, and the simple fact that the ability to trade on a whole portfolio of assets is generally worth less than the ability to trade on individual assets in the portfolio.

There is nothing inherent with splitting up a company that will make it start to do "stupid things" or "things it doesn't want to do." Why do you claim that?
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:

I think he means splitting up into separate publicly traded companies.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

Apple will continue on its momentum for a while just like it did the last time Steve departed and it was highly profitable (during the Sculley era). However, these analysts seem to have no vision beyond extending a growth curve out beyond the present along the same line. Apple stock is in a bubble. Be sure to cash out before it pops!

I'm not sure that with its current P/E it really is a bubble. Then agsain, I'm not sure that the growth rate will continue much longer.

It iwll be interesting to see what happens over the next 3 to 5 years. Anything is possible, but I would not bet against Apple at this point. They are doing remarkably well. And considering how few products they have, in so few categories, they could easily get much bigger, fast.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think I calculated it will need to be $1074 per share, based on the current number of outstanding shares, to reach that level.

Correct. Interesting to see how "$70B" had become a "rounding error" (i.e., $930B can be rounded up to $1T) in much of the market commentary today!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think he means they will be forced to split the company into two separate companies. But I don't see why that would happen.

I caught that. See above.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The idea that Apple's business can't be successful without Steve Jobs is ridiculous.

Just look at the Grateful Dead without Jerry. Furthur is just as good!
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Just look at the Grateful Dead without Jerry. Furthur is just as good!

Yet they still manage to sell out a majority of their shows, including the up coming tour.

With that aside, are you really comparing a multibillion dollar company with a band?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

The stock is not in a bubble. P/E is low, especially when you exclude cash. Maybe earnings growth won't continue much longer at this pace but it shows no signs of slowing down this year.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

I highly doubt this will happen. Some kind of split in the company will happen before this. We don't like when companies get this big.

Sounds like Apple would become too big to fail?