Nokia kicks off Windows Phone 7 campaign with Antennagate teaser spot

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I hate to admit this -- in my opinion this phone is a child of a horrible arranged marriage -- but the Lumia 800 is nothing short of amazing in terms of build quality, UI, look and feel. I played with one last weekend and despite my initial skepticism I was left with a very nice impression not only from the hardware but also from WP. No wonder if Nokia is grasping for straws while trying to attract attention to this product...

In that case I wish even more they'd do a more straightforward, "This is why our phone is awesome" campaign. Getting snide right out of the gate doesn't seem like a best foot forward, selling quality-wise.

Like someone mentioned, it's sort of reminiscent of the RIM "Amateur Hour is Over" fiasco. If you've been publicly fucking up for a while, maybe a little humility is in order. Like maybe Nokia isn't exactly in a position to act like everyone's been waiting for them to do smartphones right, given their recent history.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Nokia! Who cares anymore. This ad campaign looks like something MS would do, and they are probably the one behind it.

That's the only explanation! Steve Ballmer must have directed this adds personally.
  • Reply 123 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In that case I wish even more they'd do a more straightforward, "This is why our phone is awesome" campaign. Getting snide right out of the gate doesn't seem like a best foot forward, selling quality-wise.

Like someone mentioned, it's sort of reminiscent of the RIM "Amateur Hour is Over" fiasco. If you've been publicly fucking up for a while, maybe a little humility is in order. Like maybe Nokia isn't exactly in a position to act like everyone's been waiting for them to do smartphones right, given their recent history.

What it says to many people is that they have nothing good to say about their own phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Every feature I listed is from a normal OS for normal people, not geeks. It seems like that is the go to response every time I mention that I want a filemanager. Every feature I listed is also available for OSX so why can't I have them on iOS.

You don't get it, do you?

Mac OS X is not iOS. They have two different purposes and targets. iOS doesn't need a file manager and it's not going to get one just because a tiny number of geeks want to play games and root their system and prove how sophisticated it is.

I doubt if Ferrari's going to install a Class III trailer hitch in any of their models. But you can get a class III trailer hitch on many other cars, so why doesn't Ferrari do it? For the same reason - it interferes with what the car was designed to do and is not useful in the context of the average purchaser of the car.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

What is it with this -gate stuff? The Watergate burglary happened almost 40 years ago, and even then, -gate was only the third syllable of the name of the condominium where the burglary happened. Many peoplegate reading this columngate were not even alivegate back then. Isn't it timegate to end the neologismgate with the gategate? Or must everything be written in this dialect of pig Latin?

Now we have heatgate, antennagate, tyopgate, misspellinggate, paperjamgate, and so on ad nauseam. Can't creative writers think of something creative? Or is this a creativitygate, too?

To put it in blogger language: We have had a plethora of multiple disparate gategates, and it is time to shutter the practice.

LOL. Seriously, the use of -gate to mean scandal (more or less) is a beautiful example of how meaning arises from use (as uncle Ludwig tought us 60 years ago) in language.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    C'mon guys. Nokia, remember?

It was a big phone company around the time of the Tamagotchi.

• Reply 126 of 134
    Quote:

Yes, they are still in business and are still the largest phone manufacturer in the world. Its OK to dislike something but at least show a little respect when doing so.

Welcome to Appleinsider, I hope your stay here is a pleasent one. I'm the den mother here and if you need fresh towels just let me now.

Wasn't Balmer laughing at the iPdo and iPhone and iPad when they all came out.

Where are all the Zunes and Vistas and innovation?

Balmer has killed MS.

As per Nokia, it happened to them as it happened to Kodak. They didn't keep up with the times.

Android id DOA, too many makers and not a uniform update system. They are their worst enemy.
  • Reply 127 of 134
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    hahahaha!

what's so funny?

Yet another windows based partner trying to rip Apple with OLD news.

At least when Apple was making fun of Vista, they did it when the OS just came out.

MS and Nokia have to go back a year and a half plus!

The only thing that highlights is that they are either stuck in the past or have to focus on the past with their new product because it can't hold up against it's current competition.

In other words, by Nokia's own admission here, they are IRRELEVANT.
  • Reply 128 of 134
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dickprinter View Post

hey, cut him a break! I bet he is an old chevy guy at heart. :d

1-5-3-6-2-4
  • Reply 129 of 134
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What it says to many people is that they have nothing good to say about their own phone.

You don't get it, do you?

Mac OS X is not iOS. They have two different purposes and targets. iOS doesn't need a file manager and it's not going to get one just because a tiny number of geeks want to play games and root their system and prove how sophisticated it is.

I doubt if Ferrari's going to install a Class III trailer hitch in any of their models. But you can get a class III trailer hitch on many other cars, so why doesn't Ferrari do it? For the same reason - it interferes with what the car was designed to do and is not useful in the context of the average purchaser of the car.

Yeah... many years ago, (ca 1970) someone was bragging that the VW Beetle was a top-notch racing car -- in that it beat all comers in a race...

Of course, they failed to mention that the race was run on a 1/4 mix oval track -- the track around a football field

It is very important to consider a solution based on the job it is hired to do by its target audience.

There is a reason that the iPad has more than 70% (probably, near 97%) of the tablet market -- likely, because it does not have a file manager, external storage, etc. and all the other things that complicate a computer experience!

• Reply 130 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There is a reason that the iPad has more than 70% (probably, near 97%) of the tablet market -- likely, because it does not have a file manager, external storage, etc. and all the other things that complicate a computer experience!

Wow, wow wait just a second, yes Apple has done very well for themselves but telling us that a filemanger or external storage complicates our computing experience has got to be the most silliest thing that I have heard yet on this board to date. It's just good ol'e fashion corporate greed. Anything to hinder the user from using anything other then iTunes for their media and to force people paying over 300 bucks if they want to upgrade from 16GB to 64GB when all a person need to do is buy a 65 dollar 64GB card to make it 80GB via miniSD.

Please you either work for Apple as a plant here to troll this forum or you have been brain washed from some sort of Apple cult.
  • Reply 131 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Wow, wow wait just a second, yes Apple has done very well for themselves but telling us that a filemanger or external storage complicates our computing experience has got to be the most silliest thing that I have heard yet on this board to date.

Please tell us what credentials you have that make your opinion more valuable than Apple's.

Quote:

Anything to hinder the user from using anything other then iTunes for their media and to force people paying over 300 bucks if they want to upgrade from 16GB to 64GB when all a person need to do is buy a 65 dollar 64GB card to make it 80GB via miniSD.

First, what does that have to do with a file manager?

Second, you have no concept of the tradeoffs involved. It lessens the physical integrity of the case, adds another power drain, and creates a massive point of failure. If you want a POS device, there are tablets out there with miniSD cards.
  • Reply 132 of 134
    Quote:

Please tell us what credentials you have that make your opinion more valuable than Apple's.

Common sense, no please Apple I don't need a cheap way to add more memory to my device, let me just pay you an obscene price to add an additional 32GB to a device that can never be updated.
  • Reply 133 of 134
    Quote:

First, what does that have to do with a file manager?

Second, you have no concept of the tradeoffs involved. It lessens the physical integrity of the case, adds another power drain, and creates a massive point of failure. If you want a POS device, there are tablets out there with miniSD cards.

Oh please, power trade offs, stability of the system, massive point of failure. Um a little dramatic aren't we, in all the time that I have owned a device with a miniSD card nothing like that has ever, ever happened. Wake up, it's so you pay more when purchasing a device, they want you to buy something that is 300 bucks more and only costs them 40 bucks to make. It doesn't make sense anymore either now that we have iBooks eating up so much memory, new HD apps from the iPad 3 taking up more space. MiniSD is the smart move and I really don't want to hear anymore excuses because they all sound really retarted, physical integrity oh my god.

I already own a phone and tablet that have a miniSD card and they are incredible devices.

You do know that I could never win a argument here don't you. If it was Apple that had the miniSD and I was saying how lame, why do I need a miniSD card slot you would be arguing the benefits of a miniSD card. You do realize this don't you. Please tell me that you are being paid for these comments and that your not this in love with a company.
  • Reply 134 of 134
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

MiniSD is the smart move and I really don't want to hear anymore excuses because they all sound really retarted, physical integrity oh my god.

Retarted?