Kutcher thinks Steve Jobs role was meant for him, film script called 'award worthy'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The perfect actor to play Steve is Alan Ruck. He was born the same year as Steve so would need make up to play him as a young man. But Alan has a naturally youthful face so he could pull it off. Also a plus is that he is not famous himself. It's always a problem when a huge star plays a "real" person because it's a struggle for the audience to not "see" the celeb peeking though the character.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3158214912/nm0001688

Alan Ruck is a fine actor, but has none of the gravity needed for a portrayal of Jobs... Ashton Kutcher brings even less to the role.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't figure out why anyone could possibly care what Wozniak has to say. He's so far out of touch with reality and so full of himself that his opinion couldn't be less interesting if he tried.

The man deserves credit for what he achieved in his life and no one can take that away from him. Having said that, if you've ever checked out his Twitter feed, every other post involves him eating at some unhealthy restaurant or burger joint. Woz, cut out those calories man!
  • Reply 23 of 58
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    the guy doesn't even know how to act!
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Also, calling the script to a yet to be filmed movie "award worthy" is ludicrous. There are so many aspects to a movie that many times will not result in a good or great film, that it's not even funny.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I actually think Kutcher as a young Jobs is decent casting. But this movie...I dunno. Do we really need a re-tread of Pirates of Silicon Valley? I thought that story was done pretty well when Noah Wyle and Anthony Michael Hall starred.

I'd prefer to see the entire Steve Jobs adaptation that was rumoured. With four people in the role of Jobs. Kutcher as the PoSV-era Jobs, a teenage Jobs, a child Jobs and Wyle reprising the role for the older Jobs - iMac and beyond.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

John Hodgman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb2JFCqQQg

A huge ROFL copter just landed where I am, chock full of ROFL's.

• Reply 27 of 58
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, calling the script to a yet to be filmed movie "award worthy" is ludicrous. There are so many aspects to a movie that many times will not result in a good or great film, that it's not even funny.

And with such an ambitions release date of November? Sounds like he's setting himself up for a huge fail.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    I think David Giuntoli would be perfect for the role.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Oh noooo- he has Woz's blessing!

Sacrilege!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/03/st...er-steve-jobs/

I could be wrong but I don't think the Woz is particularly frugal in granting his blessing.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I disagree with everyone. This guy can pull off the intensity and soul searching part. As for being interesting in the later chapters, that's where it would have to be breakout. Any actor would relish the challenge. We'll see if he can do it.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I disagree with everyone. This guy can pull off the intensity and soul searching part. As for being interesting in the later chapters, that's where it would have to be breakout. Any actor would relish the challenge. We'll see if he can do it.

You don't disagree with me. I think that Kutcher has many of the characteristics needed to succeed in this role. And I also disagree that he's only a comedy actor. While "No Strings Attached" was a romantic comedy, he did manage to show some skill at the more difficult parts. And he did well in "The Butterfly Effect".

I think he has the potential. He may screw it up, but it's certainly not right to simply discard his experience.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    No one will look more like Steve than Ashton, now can he perform we will have to wait and see. IMHO you can only make a movie of Steve before the present time because where the apple Steve built will end nobody knows write now...
  • Reply 33 of 58
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

That was my first reaction as well, but at the same time it is easy to get type cast. There is always the possibility he has talent that his other films don't really allow him to use, and that he took those other parts because after "That 70's Show," producers might not have wanted to invest in someone they thought audiences wouldn't accept as anything else. Maybe he was sloppy with what he chose to do afterwards, but I can easily see him getting pigeon holed.

But yeah...I agree, and their choosing him makes me nervous...much the way Zack Snyder having anything to do with Superman makes me nervous. Maybe he's got something we haven't seen yet, though.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I feel like I'm the only one who thinks we should give Kutcher a chance to prove himself.. Might be what Chaplin was to Downey.

What's the harm in cutting the kid some slack?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks we should give Kutcher a chance to prove himself.. Might be what Chaplin was to Downey.

Ashton Kutcher exudes the intelligence of a pea but yes he does have charisma of sorts.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

Look at the Butterfly Effect - and remember that he has an extra decade of experience and maturity since then.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Is GTR and I the only ones who have noticed the pitiful director handing this movie. If the director was great I wouldn't be so worried about Kutcher. But a mediocre director with a mediocre actor who thinks the script is "Award worthy"?

I don't have high hopes anymore but it's Hollywood, they aren't known for putting out decent movies anymore.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    They couldn't be farther apart. Never mind the age discrepancies in those two photos.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436697/awards

I particularly liked seeing Steve come out at the end. It gave me a warm feeling seeing him again when he had the reins.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Perhaps you are right. More than director or star, success lies in the screenwriter. Without the definitive Isaacson book as a basis, it could be a blessing or a curse. None of the great exclusive material, but at least a clean slate on which to structure some kind of dramatic interest. how not to go for the obvious and do something creative? Maybe something along the line of how Facebook was handled in Social Network.