Apple retains master decryption key for iCloud

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Tim Cook knows about your 1.6 GB collection of LOLcats. The horror!

Now do a story on how Facebook and Google sell your personal data for advertising revenue.

I've never heard of Google actively selling YOUR data to any advertisers...perhaps you have some sources...

Oddly I have heard that of Facebook though but that may be FUD as well...just like your post.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

But Apple could turn on a dime if it had to and be just as bad.

iCloud will never be the hub of my universe.

I've seen my universe... Apple and iCloud will be extremely bored encrypting it! \

/

/

/
  • Reply 23 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Interesting.

Could you provide some examples of this occurring in the past?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I've never heard of Google actively selling YOUR data to any advertisers...perhaps you have some sources...

You're quite correct.

Google and your privacy are a match made in heaven!
  • Reply 24 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Why is this even news? Hell, any 3rd-party provider of pretty much anything can access your belongings. Be it storage lockers, bank accounts, switzerland, etc.

This is just another example of some clown trying to get bait clicks by using the classic <insert Apple product or name here> scheme.

If you don't want any entity anywhere on the earth to potentially have access to your "stuff", don't give it to them. Period.

Sheesh, this isn't even rocket science. Relating to iCloud, I'm paying for the conveniences they offer and accepting that those conveniences exposes me to an element of risk. It's up to the consumer to determine if the pros outweigh the cons.

No one is putting a gun to your head to use it. Make your own cloud service and this 100% user-securable and see how long that lasts.

*yawn*
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why is this even news? Hell, any 3rd-party provider of pretty much anything can access your belongings. Be it storage lockers, bank accounts, switzerland, etc.

This is just another example of some clown trying to get bait clicks by using the classic <insert Apple product or name here> scheme.

If you don't want any entity anywhere on the earth to potentially have access to your "stuff", don't give it to them. Period.

Sheesh, this isn't even rocket science. Relating to iCloud, I'm paying for the conveniences they offer and accepting that those conveniences exposes me to an element of risk. It's up to the consumer to determine of the pros outweigh the cons.

*yawn*

Is this a complaint? Or just news?
  • Reply 26 of 75
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Hmm... Of course they have to do some scanning for illegal content. Like any private person or company they may be made responsible if criminal content is found on their servers. No Big news there. They just do what they have to to prevent legal actions agains Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    It goes beyond common thinking not to store valuable or sensitive information with third parties. PERIOD.

No complaints from me.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think it's justifiable for Apple to be able to decrypt synced content for law enforcement. My biggest concern when it comes to master decryption keys is that it's often just a matter of time before a 3rd party manages to obtain it, giving someone you don't trust access to all your personal documents and photos. It is less likely that Apple's master key would leak out than one inside a Blu-Ray device as access is far more difficult but anything's possible.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Interesting.

Totally unnecessary. The past is past and business is business, and Apple will live up to its agreements, how ever it has to, whenever it has to.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd prefer greatly if Apple didn't have that capability.

Unfortunately, that's not an option:

"The report noted that Apple's Terms allow it to check content for copyright infringement as per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act."

They are required by law to maintain that ability.

I'd suggest that you use "Back to My Mac" to access your files if you're concerned about Apple having them.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think it's justifiable for Apple to be able to decrypt synced content for law enforcement. My biggest concern when it comes to master decryption keys is that it's often just a matter of time before a 3rd party manages to obtain it, giving someone you don't trust access to all your personal documents and photos. It is less likely that Apple's master key would leak out than one inside a Blu-Ray device as access is far more difficult but anything's possible.

This may indeed be the only concern to have. But this is true for any company that provides third party storage space.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't treat iCloud any differently from the Internet.

Encrypt your data before you upload to iCloud.

Problem: solved

This is probably a dumb question but how do you encrypt something through my iPhone or iPad before saving it to iCloud. Can anyone provide a step-by-step for pics, email, docs, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Interesting.

Quote:

Totally unnecessary. The past is past and business is business, and Apple will live up to its agreements, how ever it has to, whenever it has to.

Yes, totally unnecessary when you are suggesting things might happen for which there is no reason to think they are even probable. That Apple will start abusing customers' privacy, something there is every business reason for them to actually become more active in protecting, is as likely as Google and Facebook, without government intervention, "turning on a dime" and becoming "just as good" -- i.e., all of these things have a nearly zero probability. Don't confuse the possible (anything that doesn't violate the laws of nature) with the probable (much smaller subset of the possible) or, worse yet, the likely (a tiny subset of the possible).
  • Reply 34 of 75
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Google isn't the worst offender, they're only the first and largest. They just showed the rest how to do it and now that's the standard way to run a net business. If you offer a free service that becomes wildly successful and the fine print says you should stop considering anything in their service as private, people will surprisingly still use it. Everyone is using Google as an excuse for why it's acceptable to do it, and now it is.

There's no way to use any service anymore and have your data not scanned for content unless you encrypt it yourself. Everyone does it.

I guess the difference is Google isn't looking for illegal content to keep themselves in compliance, they want more info on your habits and personal information so they can sell it to advertisers. This is much worse!
  • Reply 35 of 75
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    well, iCloud has become like your family that knows all your secrets...you trust your family to keep your secrets from outsiders.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Tim Cook knows about your 1.6 GB collection of LOLcats. The horror!

Weird thing is...

That's all that is on my Photo Stream.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I simply don't trust Apple or iCloud which is why I don't use it.

I disagree with the comments that people don't care. I think they do which is why many people don't use cloud services, prefering to stick to their PC hard drive or portable hard drive.

The phrase "buyer beware" should be typed in bold red letters above the sign-up page to all cloud services.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I simply don't trust Apple or iCloud which is why I don't use it.

I disagree with the comments that people don't care. I think they do which is why many people don't use cloud services, prefering to stick to their PC hard drive or portable hard drive.

The phrase "buyer beware" should be typed in bold red letters above the sign-up page to all cloud services.

Then don't use iCloud. Problem solved.

Now, how are you going to keep all your private information out of Google's hands?
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:

Unlikely. That would require a complete change of their business model.

Remember, Google makes money off of their users information. Apple makes money off of hardware sales.

It would be different if Apple actually had the capability/interest in using this information for profit
  • Reply 40 of 75
    I really can't wait til iCloud and MobileMe are fully combined. Just please then fix the Apple Store ID being different than my MobileMe ID (and thus my iCloud ID). They have to let you start to merge things eventually.