Verizon 4G LTE iPad works on AT&T 3G network with micro-SIM card

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

You seem dense tonight. YES it's obviously different. Each carrier's iPad does not work on the other's LTE frequencies as they are first and foremost in different parts of 700 and AT&T is using LTE in 2100 in a few areas as well, which is not supported on the Verizon model. Also the AT&T has zero CDMA support at all. How hard is that to comprehend? Both support global 2 and 3G GSM frequencies. A quick scan of the tech specs on Apple's own site would tell you that.

Thanks for your insights, they're very helpful, but don't slam your fellow posters. Hit the gym instead.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Possibly it is because English is not my first language but can you confirm that the GSM / (maybe combined with LTE) radio found in the Verizon iPad is different from the GSM/LTE radio found in the AT&T iPad or not? I'm not sure if I am asking that question clearly enough in English or not. This question has absolutely nothing to do with Verizon LTE frequencies or CDMA. Perhaps we need to wait for a teardown of the Verizon model.

You're asking the right question, but that guy just isn't understanding it. The new iPads all use the same Qualcomm chip with both lte frequencies for AT&T and verizon. with that said. It is possible that if all frequencies are unlocked, then a True 4g Lte AT&T sim card should work with the Verizon model. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dadoria2 View Post

You're asking the right question, but that guy just isn't understanding it. The new iPads all use the same Qualcomm chip with both lte frequencies for AT&T and verizon. with that said. It is possible that if all frequencies are unlocked, then a True 4g Lte AT&T sim card should work with the Verizon model. Only time will tell.

Thanks. I'll wait to learn more before I make my decision since I travel a bit and would like the maximum flexibility with my purchase.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dadoria2 View Post

Not necessarily.

Even if the Qualcomm chip itself can handle multiple 4G LTE frequencies, there are other components involved: RF filters and amplifiers.

LTE is pretty new technology, so it is likely that component manufacturers have concentrated on supplying components that are highly specific to one market/provider or another.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not necessarily.

Even if the Qualcomm chip itself can handle multiple 4G LTE frequencies, there are other components involved: RF filters and amplifiers.

LTE is pretty new technology, so it is likely that component manufacturers have concentrated on supplying components that are highly specific to one market/provider or another.

That's my take. We'll have to see a teardown of the Verizon model to get a better idea but my guess is the Qualcomm RTR8600 multi-band/mode RF transceiver for 3G and 4G LTE bands is the issue.

Let's think about it. Why would Apple have 6 SKUs for the Verizon iPad and 6 SKUs for the AT&T iPads when they could cut that number in half and just have the iPad WiFi+4G that will work on either Verizon or AT&T. To me it makes no sense unless it wasn't technically feasible to have both 700MHz bands for LTE on the same transceiver.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though there are two 4G LTE iPad models for the networks of AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., customers who buy the Verizon-compatible 4G LTE iPad can also access AT&T's 3G network if they have a compatible micro-SIM card.

The new Verizon iPad includes a micro-SIM card slot to allow users to roam on 3G networks worldwide. But as discovered by a forum member at MacRumors, it also allows owners of the Verizon iPad to use a micro-SIM card to connect to AT&T's 3G network in the U.S.

User "jsnuff1" bought a new Verizon iPad on Friday, and took their AT&T micro-SIM card out of their iPhone 4S. Placing it into the iPad and entering the AT&T APN carrier settings then allowed them to connect to AT&T's 3G data network.

When connected to an AT&T HSDPA network, the iPad will even display that it is connected to a "4G" network, reflecting the change made in the iOS 5.1 software update. However, the Verizon iPad cannot connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network, only its high-speed HSDPA network.

To distinguish between the two, the new iPad shows "LTE" in the upper left corner when it is connected to a true 4G LTE network. AT&T's HSDPA network is capable of speeds similar to 4G, which is why it shows as such.

Apple released two different 4G LTE models of the new iPad to connect to the unique frequencies of the respective networks of AT&T and Verizon. But while those who buy the AT&T 4G LTE iPad will not be able to use it on Verizon's network no matter what, Verizon 4G LTE iPad owners can still switch to AT&T's 3G network if they choose.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

I am such a novice at this. So I take my SIM card out of my AT&T iPhone 4S and I put it in the new Verizon iPad i bought yesterday. What are the APN settings? How do I enter and find them?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Visit www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPad via a WiFi network. I think you have to select "AT&T" or "AT&T Broadband" as the carrier. The site will generate a custom APN that you can install on your iPad.

While I don't have the third-generation iPad, I have done this successfully with an iPad 2 (the AT&T compatible 3G model) to use a GoPhone SIM. Works great.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Visit www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPad via a WiFi network. I think you have to select "AT&T" or "AT&T Broadband" as the carrier. The site will generate a custom APN that you can install on your iPad.

While I don't have the third-generation iPad, I have done this successfully with an iPad 2 (the AT&T compatible 3G model) to use a GoPhone SIM. Works great.

Thanks so much for your kindness and help.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Will it automatically revert back to Verizon when I take the sim card out?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    My new LTE iPad sizzles on AT&T's LTE network. I averaged 28 MBPS in New York and Chicago this weekend! I can see Verizon users using this option to connect to AT&T.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

So I'm also a complete novice...I have an at&t iphone and unlimited data plan. My question is-- if I got a verizon ipad but put my at&t iphone microsim in it (w/ apn settings), how would the data charges work? Would it just look like I was using my iphone?

Probably a dumb question, but trying to weigh the options...
  • Reply 32 of 35
    User "jsnuff1" bought a new Verizon iPad on Friday, and took their AT&T micro-SIM ....

????? "their" SIM card ?????

"jsnuff1" is A single user. "their" is plural. Who is the "their" to which Katie Marsal is referring? Am I wrong here? Does she know more than I? Is "jsnuff1" really a whole group of users?

Or, even if you stretch English a lot, and allow yourself to believe Katie means "AT&T" owns this iPhone, since it is a AT&T SIM card, AT&T is still an "it" - A single corporation, not a "they".

If you are trying to eventually make it into mainstream media journalism (as opposed to niche journalism, with no negativism implied), Katie, you will certainly need to learn basic English. It's kind of a requirement for living here in these United States if you wish to make it "big".

The editors of AppleInsider might consider sending a memo around. The mis-use of "their" in blogging is one of the most laughed-about errors in mainstream journalism.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inthomas View Post

User "jsnuff1" bought a new Verizon iPad on Friday, and took their AT&T micro-SIM ....

????? "their" SIM card ?????

"jsnuff1" is A single user. "their" is plural. Who is the "their" to which Katie Marsal is referring? Am I wrong here? Does she know more than I? Is "jsnuff1" really a whole group of users?

Or, even if you stretch English a lot, and allow yourself to believe Katie means "AT&T" owns this iPhone, since it is a AT&T SIM card, AT&T is still an "it" - A single corporation, not a "they".

If you are trying to eventually make it into mainstream media journalism (as opposed to niche journalism, with no negativism implied), Katie, you will certainly need to learn basic English. It's kind of a requirement for living here in these United States if you wish to make it "big".

The editors of AppleInsider might consider sending a memo around. The mis-use of "their" in blogging is one of the most laughed-about errors in mainstream journalism.

Their can also be used when the sex of a person is unspecified.

PS: In the future you might want to perform a modicum of research before making statements you can't retract.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But while those who buy the AT&T 4G LTE iPad will not be able to use it on Verizon's network no matter what, Verizon 4G LTE iPad owners can still switch to AT&T's 3G network if they choose.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Also beware, the Verizon iPad 3 will not function in Europe.

If you plan to make a lot of use out of your iPad overseas, keep in mind that only the AT&T iPad is 2,100 MHz compatible.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireFish View Post

Also beware, the Verizon iPad 3 will not function in Europe.

If you plan to make a lot of use out of your iPad overseas, keep in mind that only the AT&T iPad is 2,100 MHz compatible.

I see 2100 listed under the Verizon iPad.