Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Apple's all-in-one desktop, the iMac, will receive an update with Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs in the June or July timeframe, according to a new rumor.

The updated iMacs will be powered by Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, How To Arena reported on Wednesday, citing a "reliable tipster" from the Chinese supply chain. The new desktops will reportedly be powered by Intel's 22-nanometer Ivy Bridge processors.

If the timeframe is accurate, the new iMacs are expected to follow updated MacBook Pros to market. Reports have suggested that Apple plans to first update its 15-inch MacBook Pro with Ivy Bridge CPUs, followed by a refresh of the 13-inch model. Both are expected to launch in the coming months, and the 15-inch model could debut as soon as this month.

The latest rumor comes on the heels of a separate report which claimed that Apple's 2012 iMacs will feature anti-reflective glass displays from G-Tech, marking a first for the company. Previously, Apple only offered anti-reflective solutions as build-to-order options on its MacBook family of notebooks.

The new iMacs were also said to be noticeably slimmer than their predecessors, suggesting that the all-in-one desktop is poised for a hardware redesign. The iMac was last redesigned in October of 2009 when Apple launched new models with 21.5- and 27-inch LED-backlit displays.

The iMac lineup was last updated in May of 2011, when Apple added high-definition FaceTime cameras as well as high-speed Thunderbolt ports. The current iMacs are powered by Intel's Sandy Bridge processors and AMD Radeon HD graphics.

The June-July timeframe for new iMacs is plausible, as Intel is expected to launch its new Ivy Bridge line of processors at the end of this month. The new chips are also expected to find their way to Apple's redesigned lineup of MacBook Pro notebooks.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 155
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Would Probably make sense to launch them alongside

Mountain lion.
  • Reply 2 of 155
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    does the iMac use a mobile or desktop CPU?
  • Reply 3 of 155
    BREAKSCLUSIVE: New model computer will be released this year to replace last year's model offerings!
  • Reply 4 of 155
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

At one time they used mobile CPUs, but they're now using desktop CPUs. Look at the clock speed - the iMac goes up to 3.4 GHz i7 - and that's not available in mobile CPUs.
  • Reply 5 of 155
    Quote:

Desktop CPUs, but laptop GPUs. I was not happy that I found the latter out AFTER I bought my iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 155
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:

As another poster stated, the CPU of the current iMac product line is considered a desktop CPU by virtue of the power necessary for the CPU (205W (21.5-inch models); 310W (27-inch models)) and the thermal regulation requirements.

I most interested in the GPU Apple might use for a newer iMac. The performance gains of some of the latest GPUs is substantial. I presume that Apple would consider the Radeon HD 6970M Crossfire dual-GPU which is extremely powerful for a mobile GPU although I have little basis for this assumption. I can only guess which GPU Apple might use but another mobile GPU seems likely due to concerns about thermal dissipation. A single GPU Radeon HD 6970M or Radeon 6990M seem likely possibilities as well.
  • Reply 7 of 155
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    well, then if we get the i7-3770 in an iMac, not only will it be crazy fast, you'll be able to iron your shirt on the back of the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Mountain lion.

I don't see them at any time other than before Mountain Lion.

Which gives us a nice cap on the release date of the iMacs: September 20.

Quote:

I most interested in the GPU Apple might use for a newer iMac.

Radeon 7570 on the low end, 7850 mid-range, downclocked 7970 on the high end.
  • Reply 9 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I want a radically redesigned iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 155
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    If the screen resolution is better, I will purchase the new iMac. Matte isn't important in my situation (no windows)- but resolution for photo editing would be a welcomed addition. Its hard to fathom the picture being better, but knowing it could be would be great.

Outside of that- no real feature excites me as I don't do heavy graphical work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see them at any time other than before Mountain Lion.

Which gives us a nice cap on the release date of the iMacs: September 20.

It will be interesting to see what they release with Mountain Lion. Being the Air was the only one to be launched with Lion, I could easily see that happening again- and see an iMac refresh in the next month or 2. Although if I were betting- I'll bet the mini-refresh from the macbook pro last fall/winter time might allow them to push that out to the late summer release of Mountain Lion.

My prediction is:

iMac and MacBook Air simultaneous release in May/June

Redesigned MacBook Pro in late summer w/ Mountain Lion

If the iMac is redesigned- I could see that being pushed back w/ the Pro. Whatever is redesigned- the iMac or MBP- will most likely be the Mountain Lion simultaneous release.
  • Reply 11 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Like a Guy Fawkes limited edition chassis?
  • Reply 12 of 155
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Perfect timing- I'll start budgeting for it now. I need to get my computer up in the iCloud as my 2006 matte CoreDuo iMac is not alowed/capable. My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.
  • Reply 13 of 155
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.

Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.

The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.
  • Reply 14 of 155
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Radeon 7570 on the low end, 7850 mid-range, downclocked 7970 on the high end.

Interesting. So, you believe the sixth generation vapor chamber design and improved blower fan will meet Apple's requirements? I assumed the thermal management profile would be insufficient.
  • Reply 15 of 155
    kazkamkazkam Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.

You should be able to access your migrated MobileMe/iCloud mail account from you 2006 iMac via either the iCloud web interface or the Mac Mail client configured for iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864).
  • Reply 16 of 155
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    as long as they get rid of that idiotic reflective glass or give an option to do so it be fantastic - we took them all out at the studio (went back to old Cinema 30s and 1 new Dell Ultra sharps 30) if they fix the screen issue be nice to use them as an All In One again.
  • Reply 17 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's all but certain that the new MBPs will drop the ODD, but how about the iMac? I was surprised when the Mac mini dropped the ODD so we know that Apple is clearly looking to phase out this obsolescing component.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Mountain lion.

There is certainly an argument for why that's logical, but we know from the past Apple releases new HW at different rates than their OS. We've also seen them offer free major OS updates for free if you buy your Mac within a certain time frame to help avoid a drop in sales before the release and to keep unsuspecting buyers from having remorse.

With Mac App Store the ability to download and update a new OS is much simpler than the days of the optical disc installer. Part of that is from the lack of fumbling with physical media but another part of that is due to the way the installer has been streamed lined.
  • Reply 18 of 155
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.

Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.

The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?
  • Reply 19 of 155
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    For the love of $DEITY, please let them have USB 3.0. It's downright embarrassing to see cheap $200 HTPC boxes with USB 3.0, whereas high end Macs still lack it.

And Thunderbolt isn't a solution yet. Very few devices out there and they're vastly overpriced.
  • Reply 20 of 155
    Mac Pro??