Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

You should be able to access your migrated MobileMe/iCloud mail account from you 2006 iMac via either the iCloud web interface or the Mac Mail client configured for iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864).

Thank you so much for that. I think I will need to delete the MobileMe account and reset it up from scratch because I can't change certain properties listed for this mail account- they are greyed out/untouchable. If I delete it will I loose all the history accociated with it? Or do I get an option to archive?
  • Reply 22 of 155
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's all but certain that the new MBPs will drop the ODD, but how about the iMac?

Gone as well.

I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a modular/component-styled stackable Mac. Based on the mini, and then with ODD, GPU cards in a box, etc. all connected with a similar sized Thunderbolt docking stack.

Actually it's something similar to what I see Apple doing with a TV. Advanced monitor screen, with snap-in block attachments on the back and sides for assorted attachments and functionality.

Basically: sell the base and then the attachments. Remote and controller is already finished and we know their names
  • Reply 23 of 155
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Gone as well.

I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a modular/component-styled stackable Mac. Based on the mini, and then with ODD, GPU cards in a box, etc. all connected with a similar sized Thunderbolt docking stack.

Actually it's something similar to what I see Apple doing with a TV. Advanced monitor screen, with snap-in block attachments on the back and sides for assorted attachments and functionality.

Basically: sell the base and then the attachments. Remote and controller is already finished and we know their names

USB3? Yea or Ney?
  • Reply 24 of 155
    tpf1952tpf1952 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

I feel you pain. I'm wanting at least one last hurrah from Cupertino. Make it one helluva box!

And snappier too.
  • Reply 25 of 155
    Quote:

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?

The Stand! Which you think can stand the same. It's not adjutable height wise and too rigid.

I would like the screen to go touchscreen and pivot down to the desk level. Touchable Apps will come to play in Mountain Lion. You could then pivot up (oldstyle) or down over the new superthin keyboard like a giant horizontal iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 155
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?
  • Reply 27 of 155
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I want a chinless iMac
  • Reply 28 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

USB3? Yea or Ney?

I say yay. In fact, if Apple doesn't offer USB 3.0 once it's part of the chipset they are offering it means they are disabling that component to push TB and/or FW, which are not a valid replacement so expect me to be unhappy with Apple if that happens.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want a chinless iMac

For it too work as I propose (as a giant iPad) the chin would be deleted but would need to be relocated to the forhead.
  • Reply 30 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

My prediction is:

iMac and MacBook Air simultaneous release in May/June

Redesigned MacBook Pro in late summer w/ Mountain Lion

If the iMac is redesigned- I could see that being pushed back w/ the Pro.

I don't see an iMac redesign at all, and I see updates sooner, I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Interesting. So, you believe the sixth generation vapor chamber design and improved blower fan will meet Apple's requirements? I assumed the thermal management profile would be insufficient.

I'm just going off the current iMac's chips' TDP and comparing that to equivalent TDP of the modern GPU line. Whether they run inherently hotter is something I don't know.
  • Reply 31 of 155

They'll be called... the new iMacs...
  • Reply 32 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years.

And that's why we've waited and waited, don't remind me.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Hopefully with at leasts a matte screen option (even if more expensive). Otherwise, no purchase. You can sign the matte-screen petition at:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com
  • Reply 34 of 155
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see an iMac redesign at all, and I see updates sooner, I think.

I'm just going off the current iMac's chips' TDP and comparing that to equivalent TDP of the modern GPU line. Whether they run inherently hotter is something I don't know.

Fair enough. Any particular website you use? I haven't really seen a lot of information on the CPUs you mentioned on the websites I peruse.
  • Reply 35 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Fair enough. Any particular website you use? I haven't really seen a lot of information on the CPUs you mentioned on the websites I peruse.

I just went to the Wikipedia page for Southern Islands, as it lists TDP for each card. I'm sure it'll also have information on the mobile chips once we get the spec sheets for them.
  • Reply 36 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

USB3? Yea or Ney?

So yeah the new Macs will have it.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Matte screen iMac will not be a "first" that has only every been available on MacBook Pro... my white plastic iMac (same basic form factor as the aluminum models) had a matte screen. They all did. There was no glossy option. iMac went from matte only to glossy only. Not sure if the previous form factors (lamp style and gumdrop) were matte or glossy... although of course the gumdrop was a tube.
  • Reply 38 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

And that's why we've waited and waited, don't remind me.

What's the point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with at leasts a matte screen option (even if more expensive). Otherwise, no purchase. You can sign the matte-screen petition at:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

You're STILL on about that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So yeah the new Macs will have it.

Do we REALLY know that?
  • Reply 39 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

For it too work as I propose (as a giant iPad) the chin would be deleted but would need to be relocated to the forhead.

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?

I am not sure about a 'radical' re-design. That sounds just like someone with a short attention span who just wants something 'new'.

The iMac design is awesome as it is and really, there is not too much that can be done. The chin can go - I have the Apple LCD monitor and it is beautiful. If the iMac was to take on that shape it would be pared down to the bare essentials from a user pov - the screen.

I have no problem with the stand, but sure, a change is OK. I guess the materials can be changed, I care not. The glass will probably be anti-glare or whatever the new matte is called. That too, would be good. But the bezel will stay. I seem to remember reading research about that and the black bezel serves to separate the screen from the background and properly frame the screen image.

The rest is interior and connectivity.