Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.
  • Reply 42 of 155
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Matte screen iMac will not be a "first" that has only every been available on MacBook Pro... my white plastic iMac (same basic form factor as the aluminum models) had a matte screen. They all did. There was no glossy option. iMac went from matte only to glossy only. Not sure if the previous form factors (lamp style and gumdrop) were matte or glossy... although of course the gumdrop was a tube.

The "lamp" style iMac had a matte screen.

The older CRT iMacs also all had matte, or at least anti-reflective screens. Pretty much all mainstream CRT computer monitors since the early 90s have had anti-reflective coatings on them. The high gloss screens of the iMacs and Macbooks were a huge step backwards.
  • Reply 43 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Hoping an announcement before NAB... along with new FCP X release.
  • Reply 44 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?

• Reply 45 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

The older CRT iMacs also all had matte, or at least anti-reflective screens.

I don't recall that at all.
  • Reply 46 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The question is will drivers ship with the hardware that will enable USB3. I think it will either at launch time or shortly after. The indications I've gotten is that many people at Apple are as hot on USB3 as are people here in this forum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point?

Many people don't see their Macs as tools but rather as devices to enhance their self esteem.

Quote:

You're STILL on about that?

Only a complete idiot would continue to demand matte screens when HiDPI screens are coming. There are better ways for Apple to deal with the reflectivity issue, so let's hope Apple does something here. Something by the way that doesn't destroy the sharpness of the screen.

Quote:

Do we REALLY know that?

Well we know that the new hardware has USB support in at least some of the chipsets. So yeah the Macs will ship with USB3. How well Apple will exploit those new interfaces is another story. Knowing Apple the first release will likely be slow.

In any event I honestly believe that people at Apple want USB 3 as much as the rest of us. Contrary to opinion here, they realize that TB is not a USB replacement. With all of this pathetic whining about TB costs and so forth, nobody seems to realize that it was never intended for low cost devices. Beyond all of that Apple will likely want to support USB3 higher current limit to support charging all of those "I" devices.
  • Reply 47 of 155
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.

I agree.

I don't understand where people are wanting new Apple designs all the time, whether it be an iPhone, iPad, MBPs, whatever. Do you people not realize that they are almost all close to minimalist-perfection already. Nothing is perfect however, so a corner camber, or a few milimeters could be shaved off and replaced with visible work area, but not much more than that.

However, adding bulges, bumps, textures, or superfluous elements is just not what Jony Ives is all about. Colors are also not his "Cup-O-Tea" either, and he really does revel in the feel of natural materials. Alu, glass, steel... and possibly in the future Liquid Metal. That's what the guy's fetish is.

Leave the latex, plastic wrap and velvet gloves to the other "toys".
  • Reply 48 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

well, then if we get the i7-3770 in an iMac, not only will it be crazy fast, you'll be able to iron your shirt on the back of the iMac.

The current CPU i5 and i7 run at 95W,

The new Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs are supposed to be around 77W so they should run a bit cooler.
  • Reply 49 of 155
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hoping an announcement before NAB... along with new FCP X release.

That's my speculation as well. The NAB convention seems like a good time/place to roll out a new Mac Pro alongside some kind of FCP X update. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 50 of 155
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    First of all, I'm happy that we are starting to hear about a timeframe for the new iMacs. I can suck it up for a few more months.

I love the iMacs design, and have a hard time envisioning major changes that would improve the aesthetic. It sounds reasonable that Apple would ditch the optical drive; maybe they could shrink the mother board too. But I don't think either of these tweaks would eliminate the chin, since that's where the speaker assemblies are housed.

It would be nice if the 27" iMac would line up with the 27" Thunderbolt display when they are next to each other.
  • Reply 51 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

It would be nice if the 27" iMac would line up with the 27" Thunderbolt display when they are next to each other.

Adjustable height would be nice.
  • Reply 52 of 155
    Quote:

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

Give me a break.

The user community isn't going to accept a touch screen Mac for most of the productivity jobs they are currently used for. It puts the user at a disadvantage in traditional work settings and is conduciver to repeative stress injuries.

I suspect that Apple already knows how bad this will be for most use cases so I just don't see touch screens being a big draw. That isn't to say specific cases might not benefit, but rather that we as users will seldom benefit.
  • Reply 53 of 155
    Quote:

Well we know that the new hardware has USB support in at least some of the chipsets.

Support.

The chipsets also support USB 2 ports.

I would NOT put it past Apple to ignore USB 3 entirely and keep using 2.

Quote:

?nobody seems to realize that it was never intended for low cost devices.

People keep saying this, but I don't get it.
  • Reply 54 of 155
    The point is a large touch screen does not make interfacing with a Mac easier, it makes it harder, more frustrating, and prone to error. While I'm certain a few use cases might exploit a large touch screen, the vast majority of the users will be better off with the traditional interface devices. Thus I see users spending a week or two with any touch capabilities that might be there and then reverting to traditional methods. Think about it if you are using any sort of text editor do you really want to have to touch the screen to do a copy and past?

The other way to look at this is to evaluate ones iPad and frustrations seen there with editing. Granted the limitations of portable devices make alternatives impossible but many editing maneuvers on the iPad are troublesome compared to equivalent operations on a Mac. Just because a method is optimal for a touch device does not mean that it holds up on a traditional screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I agree.

I don't understand where people are wanting new Apple designs all the time, whether it be an iPhone, iPad, MBPs, whatever. Do you people not realize that they are almost all close to minimalist-perfection already. Nothing is perfect however, so a corner camber, or a few milimeters could be shaved off and replaced with visible work area, but not much more than that.

However, adding bulges, bumps, textures, or superfluous elements is just not what Jony Ives is all about. Colors are also not his "Cup-O-Tea" either, and he really does revel in the feel of natural materials. Alu, glass, steel... and possibly in the future Liquid Metal. That's what the guy's fetish is.

Leave the latex, plastic wrap and velvet gloves to the other "toys".

• Reply 55 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Dead, mate. Deceased. Just like the parrot in MP's sketch.

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.
  • Reply 56 of 155
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

Depends on the app. For photography and drawing I would like it. Also for iTunes I would like. Writing music- using it as a keyboard too.

Think outside the box.
  • Reply 57 of 155
    Quote:

Give me a break.

The user community isn't going to accept a touch screen Mac for most of the productivity jobs they are currently used for. It puts the user at a disadvantage in traditional work settings and is conduciver to repeative stress injuries.

I suspect that Apple already knows how bad this will be for most use cases so I just don't see touch screens being a big draw. That isn't to say specific cases might not benefit, but rather that we as users will seldom benefit.

It's an option- ease up.

Once users see all the new Apps made for this that will also work on iPad and iPhone it could be very welcomed.

You could still revert it back to the traditional keyboard use.
  • Reply 58 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Dead, mate. Deceased. Just like the parrot in MP's sketch.

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

Hmm.

We'll see. The pundits of doom had the mini almost dead...once following a long delay between updates.

In short. The end of life status of the Mac Pro has not been officially confirmed yet. There's plenty of time yet (in Apple's world) for the update to follow as when their 'whim' allows it.

As for the iMac.

Brushing Ivy Bridge cpu to one side...(thinks power savings and a modicum of 5-15% boost. Ok but not revoutionary...)

I guess it's down to the GPU then. 7000 series from ATI. More ram. Bigger HD.

I don't see HiDPI screens this year for desktops as much as I'd like. Maybe that's 2013's big deal.

Be nice of the iMac to have a price cut to match the steep price rises it had in 2008.

I have a core 2 duo. I'd like the 27 incher. But with HiDPI screen rumours circling for Macs eg laptops...how long until we actually see them would make me wait a year or so more.

Ivy bridge's successor may pack more punch. Plus I'd like to see a 6 core option in the top end.

I can well imagine that the 're-designed' iMac is merely going to have some alu shaved off it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 59 of 155
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Dead, mate. Deceased.

I would love to say that the reports of the death of the Mac Pro have been greatly exaggerated but I unfortunately don't know that to be the case. For all we know, you may be right.
  • Reply 60 of 155
    Quote:

I don't recall that at all.

Because they did not.

I had a hook-on 3M antiglare cover made of clear lucite - matched the iMac perfectly.