Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

USB3? Yea or Ney?

Apple has no interest in USB3 when they have Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 102 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I say yay. In fact, if Apple doesn't offer USB 3.0 once it's part of the chipset they are offering it means they are disabling that component to push TB and/or FW, which are not a valid replacement so expect me to be unhappy with Apple if that happens.

Apple has nothing to gain by spending time supporting USB3... not when they have Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?

Yes. That's clearly Apple's weakness. No ideas...
  • Reply 104 of 155
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david.allie View Post

Apple has nothing to gain by spending time supporting USB3... not when they have Thunderbolt.

Of course they do. Too many people buy computers via checklist. Since Apple will be able to support USB 3 at essentially zero cost, there's no reason for them not to.

It's the same situation that occurred when USB 2 came out. People argued that Apple would never support USB 2 because they had Firewire. Apple supported both. I expect the same thing to happen with Thunderbolt/USB 3.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

OS XI ?? Did Tim Cook tell you something he has not shared with the rest of the world?

I don't see the issue here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There are good reasons for them to support USB 3 and almost no negatives.

Agreed.

Quote:

So I really have a hard time believing Apple won't support it when the hardware is there.

Thunderbolt and pushing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miksterman View Post

a faster updated Thunderbolt using optical instead of copper wiring?

Not for a few years.

Quote:

?a free upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Not unless it comes out/is purchased by you two weeks before its launch.

Quote:

?30" or 32" screen size?

30" no. And then 32" begs the purpose. It would be a decade before we could then get a retina display for that thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. Apple can't get future OSs accepted without a touchscreen desktop? You're dreaming. No one I know wants to use a touchscreen on a desktop - or even a laptop, for that matter.

That's not what I said, but what you're thinking about is correct. No one you know has seen a good multitouch desktop OS, by the way.

Quote:

Why? What does Apple gain by doing that?

Thunderbolt. It's not necessarily about 'gains'.

Quote:

If you're going to argue that they'll leave it out to encourage Thunderbolt, that's no more plausible than the predictions that Apple would never support USB 2 to encourage Firewire.

USB 2 was never a threat to even FireWire 400, much less 800.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Yes. That's clearly Apple's weakness. No ideas?

Yes, that's clearly Apple's weakness: not redesigning the case for the sole purpose of doing so.
  • Reply 106 of 155
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unlikely to happen. Apple is basically done with announcing at 3rd party events. They won't do it unless there is a value to the announcement and then it is more likely to be software than hardware. The whole NAB Final Cut X thing was because that was a core group they wanted to get on board and doing the reveal there was a way to start the hype going and make that group feel special. But announcing hardware there lacks the same value AND it puts them on someone else's time table which Apple hates. The best that might happen at NAB is that they will have already announced the Mac Pro or silently released it and could have a demo model for folks there to see. But the initial talk won't be at NAB

I think you are right, but I should mention that Apple is listed as a "company in attendance" at NAB this year. Not an exhibitor (naturally).
  • Reply 107 of 155
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

The 2012 NAB Show starts next week. It would be nice but I don't believe Apple is going to fulfill your wishes on this one. If an update/new Mac Pro is on the verge of being released, some kind of rumor would have popped up a couple of weeks ago.

Larry Jordan has been promoting NAB 2012:

Quote:

The 2012 NAB Show is going to be exciting this year ? especially for those of us involved in editing. Lots of new announcements coming. I?m looking forward to sharing the details with you as soon as I?m allowed.

Getting Ready For NAB 2012

"Lots of new announcements coming. I?m looking forward to sharing the details with you as soon as I?m allowed."

Now, Larry didn't specifically mention Apple -- but I suspect he is aware of any coming FCP X updates -- as well as 3rd-party enhancements/plugins/interfaces to FCP X.

It would be interesting if they reconstituted some 2011 FCP panels:

Pre FCP X announce:

NAB Editors Lounge, and the Future of Final Cut Pro.

and Post FCP X announce:

Final Cut Pro X: Now What?

• Reply 108 of 155
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Unlikely to happen. Apple is basically done with announcing at 3rd party events. They won't do it unless there is a value to the announcement and then it is more likely to be software than hardware. The whole NAB Final Cut X thing was because that was a core group they wanted to get on board and doing the reveal there was a way to start the hype going and make that group feel special. But announcing hardware there lacks the same value AND it puts them on someone else's time table which Apple hates. The best that might happen at NAB is that they will have already announced the Mac Pro or silently released it and could have a demo model for folks there to see. But the initial talk won't be at NAB

I figured as much, but the alternative speculative date was much less desirable, being the WWDC. I think, like you say, they'll just announce it on their timetable or just do a silent roll-out if/when they're good and ready.
  • Reply 109 of 155
    Quote:

I'm of the opinion that the Mac Pro will get a serious redesign. That however doesn't mean high performance computing will be gone from the Mac Line up. Rather I think the opposite will happen in that whatever replaces the Mac Pro will be dramatically faster and more powerful.

The problem is pretty clear, big boxes are no longer needed to make powerful computers. In fact they are a deterrent as the electronics has to get smaller and more densely packed to continue to increase performance. People wishing for another rev of the Mac Pro, in it's current case, are not looking towards the future. Apple needs to get a new platform out that is ready for the future, something that will stay around for another 5-10 years.

Until we see what Apple does, all of this sweating over what Apple might do is just ignorance. Computer design will change rapidly in the next few years. Intel has already let some of this out of the bag so to speak, but think in terms of high integration (SoC) and 3D technologies. Has well will be a SoC for lower end machines, at the upper end Intel has a processor coming with Infiniband built in. In between will be an array of components. Memory technologies of the future will be high performance 3D stacks.

Taken all together these technologies imply smaller tightly packed computers. Physics dictates that memory be in close proximity to the CPU and like wise other components are impacted by their distances from the CPU.

So yeah I think the Mac Pro is dead, that is not however a bad thing at all. In fact I would hope that it is a sign of things to come. Done right the Mac Pros replacement could be 2-3x faster than today's machine in a much smaller box.

OK! I agree with that...

Except... "Done right the Mac Pros replacement could be 2-3x faster than today's machine in several smaller boxes.

• Reply 110 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I figured as much, but the alternative speculative date was much less desirable, being the WWDC (another 3rd party event, I know). I think, like you say, they'll just announce it on their timetable or just do a silent roll-out if/when they're good and ready.

WWDC is an Apple event.
  • Reply 111 of 155
    Quote:

...Until we see what Apple does, all of this sweating over what Apple might do is just ignorance. Computer design will change rapidly in the next few years...

...So yeah I think the Mac Pro is dead, that is not however a bad thing at all. In fact I would hope that it is a sign of things to come. Done right the Mac Pros replacement could be 2-3x faster than today's machine in a much smaller box.

I'm not sweating over what Apple will do, I'd just wish they'd do it already. I quite honestly don't care if it's in the same form as the existing MacPro, some radical redesign or something in between as long as it represents a significant step forward.
  • Reply 112 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WWDC is an Apple event.

Oops, I got WWDC confused with Macworld Expo. Where's that Picard face-palm pic when you need it?

Ahh, there we go.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

I feel you pain. I'm wanting at least one last hurrah from Cupertino. Make it one helluva box!

And snappier too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hoping an announcement before NAB... along with new FCP X release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That's my speculation as well. The NAB convention seems like a good time/place to roll out a new Mac Pro alongside some kind of FCP X update. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

I feel your pain... I'm also waiting to see what happens on that field to make my decision on a new desktop.

Quote:

Yes, I agree... my early-2008 Mac Pro is finally starting to show it's age... and I've been waiting and waiting (and waiting) for Apple to update the Mac Pro so I can buy a new one.

Mac-Pro upgrade......please Apple please make it happen.... any time soon!\

Don't let us down.
  • Reply 114 of 155
    Quote:

It is really a question of where you want to put your hands. One big issue, if we ignore fatique, is the visual obstruction you hand becomes. This can be a big issue for some with iPad apps. Then you get into that whole issue of precision and the lack of visual feedback do to the fingers blocking your view.

In the end I just don't see an overwhelming advantage for most users. In some real cases the use of touch screens would be a regression.

Actually Apple has the perfect platform to test my position out on. Take GarageBand on an iPad and a Mac and do the same things for four hours straight on each one. Then come back aNd tell us which one left you feeling more uncomfortable at the end. Do this on separate days. I'm willing to bet the Mac interface allows for a longer time in the app.

A stylus can be used for precision work -- as on a Wacom tablet... not up to Wacom's precision, yet!

There are non-Apple iPad apps that address the precision issues, for example:

1) when typing text and you select -- you have virtual arrow keys, that position/reposition the cursor as you would do on a regular keyboard.

2) when positioning a cursor for text or non-text -- you have a loupe that magnifies the text but its position is offset from where the finger is actually touching the screen -- say an inch or so offset from the loupe.

3) you can move the loupe or move the cursor with the arrows -- and the selection in the loupe moves with the cursor.

Also, I believe we are at the very early stage of refining the touch UI. Basically, almost everything so far is defined by the lowest-common-denominator 3.5" screen. If Apple (or others) rethink the touch UI from the perspective of non-mobile, larger screen devices and uses, I think we'll see some extraordinary productivity gains.

To illustrate what I mean about rethinking the touch UI...

Say you want to do some precision editing of a 4K image down to the pixel level:

-- drag the image to where the area you want to edit is displayed on the screen

-- pinch zoom to get to a comfortable magnification level.

New Touch gestures for large-screen precision editing -- as in 2) above:

-- touch-hold a single finger where you want the magnifying loupe to appear

-- touch a second finger where you want the finger offset to the loupe control to be

-- release the first finger, the loupe remains

-- release the second finger, the loupe control remains

-- move any finger within the loupe control to reposition the loupe to the area desired

-- touch a magnification control to position to the exact pixel

-- repeat the first 2 steps to reposition the loupe and loupe control

-- swipes and drags made outside the loupe control move the image underneath the loupe (the loupe and control remain where they are)

-- touch any other controls displayed on the screen to select color, bezier pen, brush, whatever.

The above gestures can be done with fingers on one or both hands -- and are easier to do than describe. Not only that you will find you can do things much faster.

This same approach could be used to replace the puck used for most CAD operations -- a virtual loupe/puck.

Now, think for a moment of the possibilities of editing an image, drawing, video -- using 2 hands.

Sure, there would need to be some rethinking of the UI, and most certainly the apps... that's progress -- but the potential is there to improve certain operations twofold... tenfold?

As to your last point -- we are comparing apps that were designed for the desktop and modified for the touch UI including a 3.5" screen. In GarageBand app designed for a large touch screen it could take advantage of things that are easy with touch but almost impossible with a mouse/kb...

Say, display a guitar fretboard and the playing area... you could fret and strum/pick/finger pick at the same time...

That'd be some pretty weird fretting... maybe 'Lisbeth Cotten. You could play it like a steel guitar or create a whole new string instrument -- the touch guitar.

GarageBand, as it exists, has no ability to do things with both hands (mouse with kb modifications, excepted) because there is no way to do it without touch!

• Reply 115 of 155
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Previously, Apple only offered anti-reflective solutions as build-to-order options on its MacBook family of notebooks.

This is incorrect.

Apple has never offered anti-reflective screens. They have offered anti-glare screens.

Matte is not the same as anti-reflective is not the same as anti-glare.
  • Reply 116 of 155
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same

This would be really nice, especially if they went for a HiDPI displays. The current design is starting to look really chunky next to the svelte Macbook Airs.

My 24 inch iMac could do with a refresh this year, but at this point I feel it's not worth buying anything that doesn't ship with a HiDPI display.
  • Reply 117 of 155
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Gee I hope this pan out (sooner than later). I got the money in the bank to buy an all out BTO iMac. My iMac 8,1 still is going strong but I want a fast one.
  • Reply 118 of 155
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Yes, I agree... my early-2008 Mac Pro is finally starting to show it's age... and I've been waiting and waiting (and waiting) for Apple to update the Mac Pro so I can buy a new one.

If you want the latest Technology, you'll end up waiting, instead of buying. I know it doesn't seem like the right decision to buy a Mac Pro now, but if your current one is not up to the tasks you throw at it, get a new one. Now.

Quote:

They are going to come in new 36 and 46 inch sizes as well.

When I got the 30'' I thought it might be too big, but went for it as it is matte. Now looking at that 30'' I sure wish they would make them larger. If the iMac gets a larger than 30'' screen, I'd be in awe, but won't buy it if it's glossy (which was the whole reason for me to keep on buying Mac Pro's instead of iMacs, ; don't really need all the power, just wanted a matte screen).

If they release larger than 30'' iMacs with a matte screen I'll be happy to buy one after the Mac Pro gets old, which could take a few more years.

Quote:

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.

I sure hope Steve was right when he told Walt at AllThingsD that we will still need the trucks, just less of them, which to me sounded like he thought the Mac Pro still has its place.

Quote:

The rumor isn't Matte screens but more the same Museum Glass you see in front of paintings and such. Cuts down on light reflection without the total color dimming of a matte screen. Would be a welcome change on the iPhone and iPad as well.

Hear hear! I don't like that glossy anymore than..., well, I guess we're in the minority here.
  • Reply 119 of 155
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?

I'm not sure they've run out of ideas but I do think they've lost interest. In many ways the original coloured iMacs are still my favourite. They were innovative. I would like to see them break that design straight jacket they seem to have been in for the past 10 years and bring us something innovative and drop dead gorgeous again. Ultra modern, all black with no effing silver anywhere and edge to edge screen. I hope they don't go for yet another minor cosmetic update.
  • Reply 120 of 155
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    One big question for the next iMac will be whether any of Apple's TV tech makes the cut.

On the one hand, they'd want to wait for a big fall announcement before showing their TV service to their competitors. On the other, the 27" iMac will essentially be the low end (screen size wise) of the Apple TV line.

That camera above the iMac screen is under-utilized. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are all using gestures now. Does Apple have any patents that would be applicable to computer usage? And what about Siri-style controls?

Forget the touchscreen idea. It's only good for NCIS. But gestures and voice? That's another matter.