Apple preparing overhaul of its online store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple has begun signaling to education shoppers that it plans to relaunch and overhaul its online store in the near future, making it easier to do business.

AppleInsider was alerted on Wednesday to the notice that can be found on the top of Apple online stores geared for kindergarten through 12th grade institutions. There, shoppers are greeted with an alert about "the new Apple Store."

"Apple is launching a new online store, which is your tool to shop and place orders with Apple," the note reads. "Proposal creation, order status, and a dramatically simplified user interface will make it easier to do business with Apple — all in a secure and reliable environment."

For now, it appears that any forthcoming changes will just be related to the company's specialty stores designed for education institutions. However, the change could be a sign that Apple plans to do enact a similar overhaul of its general consumer storefront at some point in the near future.

The note atop the store for K-12 buyers also shares information on "getting ready" for the upcoming transition, stating that it will be "easy."

"Your current Apple ID and password will continue to work," it states. "In the coming weeks, you will receive more information about the store's features, benefits, and launch date."

Rather than a complete overhaul of its online store, Apple has instead made incremental updates over the years, adding functionality and features one piece at a time. For example, last month Apple added a new "Answers from the Community" section to its product pages.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How about just getting rid of that page you added between clicking the Mac on the main store page and choosing a model to BTO? I'm STILL confused over why they did that. A full overhaul would be great and all, but if that's the way they're going…
  • Reply 2 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about just getting rid of that page you added between clicking the Mac on the main store page and choosing a model to BTO? I'm STILL confused over why they did that. A full overhaul would be great and all, but if that's the way they're going?

I reckon it's for people who are browsing, so they can front load some info/advertising. Like a point of sale display in a brick and mortar operation.

For people who already know what they want it's not too much of a burden to click through, is it? I mean, it's not like I'm buying a Mac three time a day every day, or anything.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

How about just getting rid of that page you added between clicking the Mac on the main store page and choosing a model to BTO? I'm STILL confused over why they did that. A full overhaul would be great and all, but if that's the way they're going?

Are you really that lazy.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Do you really know that little about well-designed websites?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Quote:

Do you really know that little about well-designed websites?

Are both your penises really so small?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

I'm serious! The extra splash page is pretty un-Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

I'd agree with Skil. I've clicked on 'MacBook Air' because I want to buy a MacBook Air. If I want product info I either scroll down or go to the MacBook Air webpage, I don't need another round of adverts.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

• Reply 9 of 37
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

I'm serious! The extra splash page is pretty un-Apple.

And you're right to be this upset about it. Never mind that it allows people who are browsing to see some promotional materials or differences between the different models. I mean it's not like apple buries essential cell phone toggles like Bluetooth or 3G settings under a series of menus and buttons on the iPhone, right?
  • Reply 10 of 37
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I'd agree with Skil. I've clicked on 'MacBook Air' because I want to buy a MacBook Air. If I want product info I either scroll down or go to the MacBook Air webpage, I don't need another round of adverts.

Also agree. Interestingly, clicking on 'MacBook Pro' or 'Mac Pro' still takes you directly to the product selection screen.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I would hope that this "overhaul" includes adding a prominent, direct link to the Apple Retail Stores page.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

How about just getting rid of that page you added between clicking the Mac on the main store page and choosing a model to BTO? I'm STILL confused over why they did that. A full overhaul would be great and all, but if that's the way they're going…

Yeah, that one extra click to buy something is just killer. I estimate that I lose around 6 seconds a year with that page. I'm thinking of starting a class action lawsuit because of this, who's with me?
  • Reply 13 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Wow, just wow. An extra screen that gives useful info to many before making a $1,000+ purchase? Inexcusable.

I honestly question the the type of lives some of you lead so as to be actually bothered enough by this to complain about it. Blows my mind.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Also agree. Interestingly, clicking on 'MacBook Pro' or 'Mac Pro' still takes you directly to the product selection screen.

That's because the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro still use Apple's old 4-on-1-line marketing.

Example A: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Whereas the iPhone uses a 3-on-1 line marketing page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

However, they are now moving to 2-on-1 line marketing: http://www.apple.com/ipad/ and http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/

EDIT:// This is how I see it anyway *shrug*
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Never mind that it allows people who are browsing to see some promotional materials or differences between the different models.

If you're going to the store without already having done research, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:

I mean it's not like apple buries essential cell phone toggles like Bluetooth or 3G settings under a series of menus and buttons on the iPhone, right?

And who says I'm not bothered about that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Yep, because Apple only updates the pages when the product gets an update. They don't update across the board for both the store and the product's actual page, so there's a LOT of discontinuity on Apple's entire website.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, that one extra click to buy something is just killer. I estimate that I lose around 6 seconds a year with that page. I'm thinking of starting a class action lawsuit because of this, who's with me?

Thanks for missing the point.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Yep, because Apple only updates the pages when the product gets an update. They don't update across the board for both the store and the product's actual page, so there's a LOT of discontinuity on Apple's entire website.

Ah, that explains why the iPod shuffle and classic [should that be "iPods shuffle and classic"?] are the same way.

Quote:

Thanks for missing the point.

No kidding. Wow.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, just wow. An extra screen that gives useful info to many before making a $1,000+ purchase? Inexcusable.

I honestly question the the type of lives some of you lead so as to be actually bothered enough by this to complain about it. Blows my mind.

Well, good ole Tally here is pushing on 10,000 posts in less than 2 years. Inane stuff, mostly. Does this guy have anything better to do with his time? Pathetic !!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Well, good ole Tally here is pushing on 10,000 posts in less than 2 years. Inane stuff, mostly. Does this guy have anything better to do with his time? Pathetic !!

You'll want to refrain from ad-homs in the future. Against anyone.

For ANY reason.

PARTICULARLY post count.

• Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

If you're going to the store without already having done research, I don't know what to tell you.

My guess is that they found that people are browsing through the store for information in addition to making a purchase. In other words, not everyone is you. It is not uncommon for 'normal' computer users (i.e. people who aren't technology experts or power users) to browse websites in ways which would seem strange to the sort of person who frequents this forum. That splash screen was probably their ham-fisted solution to the problem, serving as an intermediary stage for viewers to find their way regardless of their intent (and the earlier sentiment is right?people aren't going to shy away from their purchase because a splash screen offered more information).

They can do a better job and that will probably be addressed in the new design.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

You'll want to refrain from ad-noms in the future. Against anyone.

For ANY reason.

PARTICULARLY post count.

Flexing?....

He does have a point.