Google's Larry Page thinks Steve Jobs's hatred of Android was 'for show'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Google co-founder and Chief Executive Larry Page doesn't think Steve Jobs was really that upset by the Android platform. Instead, he feels Jobs demonstrated ire "for show" to rally his employees at Apple.

The revelation comes from a new interview that Page did with Bloomberg Businessweek, in which he downplayed the rivalry between Apple and Google. Jobs's ire was publicized in Walter Isaacson's biography of him, in which the Apple co-founder called Android a "stolen product" that he was willing to "go thermonuclear war" to stop.

But Page said in the interview published on Wednesday that he believes Jobs's statements to Isaacson, as well as his comments to Apple employees, were "actually for show."

"I think that served their interests," Page said. "For a lot of companies, it's useful for them to feel like they have an obvious competitor and to rally around that. I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Page also discussed how he met with Jobs before he died. He said the former Apple CEO invited him via e-mail, and the two had a "very nice talk."

"I took it as an honor that he wanted to spend some time with me," Page said. "I figured he wanted to spend time with his family at that point. He had a lot of interesting insights about how to run a company and that was pretty much what we discussed."

Google Chief Executive and co-founder Larry Page.

When he spoke with Isaacson, Jobs vowed to "destroy" Android, and said he would spend every penny Apple had in the bank "to right this wrong." He believed Google stole ideas from Apple's iPhone and implemented them into the Android operating system, which is now found on more than half of smartphones used in the U.S.

Page became CEO of Google last April, replacing Eric Schmidt, who took on a new position as executive chairman. Page's co-founder Sergey Brin also took a more active role in strategic projects including product development.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Or maybe he saw through your 'Don't be evil' BS.

Maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 137
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Larry Page out does Steve Jobs in one thing: arrogance. And, at least Jobs had the chops to back it up while, at the same time, not being dishonest with his customers.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Don't flatter yourself. You stole his idea and now you are trying to rewrite history.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    "I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Highlighting is mine.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Don't flatter yourself. You stole his idea and now you are trying to rewrite history.

It wasn't Steve Jobs idea, I hope you realize.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Or maybe he saw through your 'Don't be evil' BS.

Maybe?

Page spinning it again like a true thief. Steve jobs meant it, let us hope they go thermonuclear on them .
  • Reply 7 of 137
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Yes, Job's was a showman, but Apple had invested 4-5 years of work, innovation, and bet the company on the iPhone [recall how everyone panned it before it was released, after it was released, etc.] and it was a huge gamble. It paid off for Apple.

To have Google scrap off the work that Apple did and repackage it for free as public property drove Jobs and yes Apple employees nuts.

The simple fact was this was breath taking risk that transformed an industry and Google copied and marketed on this Apple effort.

I've heard the prior art story, but bottom line is this would not have happened without Apple and Jobs/Apple invested a lot of time supporting [and yes leveraging Google] in the Android competes with MS and RIM and legitimately felt betrayed.

It was clearly personal not "just business."
  • Reply 8 of 137
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    What is Larry thinking? He connived, lied and stole info whilst sitting as a respected member on Apple's board. Steve, whom many claim was an AH*, trusted Larry. Larry is the example of why Steve may have stepped on toes.

Larry is a jerk and he has a baby face that turns the stomach.

And I mean this in the kindest sense, except the stomach part.

* and may have been at times.

(Thanks to SpanSandwich for his correction to my error on Larry & Apple board below.)
  • Reply 9 of 137
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Highlighting is mine.

Damn, you beat me to it. I wonder if he made that statement with a straight face? The funny thing is, Larry probably believes what he's saying.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    cough (bullshit)
  • Reply 11 of 137
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    i can see some hyperbole being used by steve jobs to rally apple employees but with isaacson?

why would someone who knows he's going to die very soon put on a show for his biographer and biography readers? that's like having something chiseled into his gravestone about google. why would jobs waste his legacy's focus on a show for google?

google is big but compared to jobs' legacy and apple they're just a blip on the tech radar.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Page also discussed how he met with Jobs before he died. He said the former Apple CEO invited him via e-mail, and the two had a "very nice talk."

"I didn't want Steve's advice. He wanted to talk to me." Yeah, right, Larry !! Can you show us that email, please?
  • Reply 13 of 137
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Is it me or does Larry look like a rat?
  • Reply 14 of 137

this is from a company that invented web searching, and then produced several half-baked products...and then stole all the rest...

sounds like complete and utter bullshit...

android is still a stolen product, and a complete piece of shit...
  • Reply 15 of 137
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Highlighting is mine.

Loved that. Google+ is this guy's baby. This is literally the guy whose bet the Google farm on Google+ and canned tonnes of genuinely innovative Google ideas to make way for Plus's ahem, success.

This is almost too funny.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Damn, you beat me to it. I wonder if he made that statement with a straight face? The funny thing is, Larry probably believes what he's saying.

I quite honestly think he does as well. Self delusion is a bitch...

Quote:

"I think that served their interests," Page said. "For a lot of companies, it's useful for them to feel like they have an obvious competitor and to rally around that. I personally believe it's better to shoot higher. You don't want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what's possible and how to make the world better."

Eric Schmidt also wants to make the world better. He is also an excellent notetaker having exceled in his skills during apple board meetings. His Orwellian views on privacy are also enabling this world to become a better place:

Quote:

If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place

As an aside, a recent headline in the uk rag the daily mail run:

Quote:

Google chief Eric Schmidt publically backs wife despite divorce rumours and claims of having three mistresses

He shouldn't have done it in the first place.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Put the reefer down, Larry, and let your brain catch up...
  • Reply 18 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

What is Larry thinking? He connived, lied and stole info whilst sitting as a respected member on Apple's board. Steve, whom many claim was an AH*, trusted Larry. Larry is the example of why Steve may have stepped on toes.

Larry is a jerk.

And I mean this in the kindest sense.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Larry was never on Apple's board of directors... Eric Schmidt was. \
  • Reply 19 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Google doesn't look at their competitors, they lean over and sneak glances.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Larry is a jerk.

And I mean this in the kindest sense.

Larry was on Apple's Board??? Are you thinking of Eric Schmidt?