Apple releases iAd Producer 2.1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple on Wednesday rolled version 2.1 of its iAd Producer software, adding Twitter integration along with a host of improvements and fixes for the advertisement building tool.

Among the various enhancements, the two standout features of iAd Producer 2.1 brings support for the third-generation iPad and offers Twitter integration for a more social iAd experience.

From the release notes:

Quote:

This update contains various improvements and fixes that:

•\tProvide improved load and save performance for iAd projects

•\tImprove the performance of exported ad units

•\tFacilitate better pre-load behavior for assets in exported ad units

•\tAllow ad upload and testing with iOS devices connected via USB

•\tReduce device memory usage for image views

•\tEnable use of image sprites

•\tProvide support for on-device debugging

•\tEnable Twitter integration in iAd content

•\tSimplify visualization of animations by providing an onion-skinning view

•\tExpand the types of assets that can be imported and managed in the asset library to include common document types

•\tSupport the new media object in iAd JS

•\tProvide support for integration of WebGL assets in iAd content

•\tExtend device support to include The New iPad

iAd Producer includes:

•\tA single-window interface for viewing and editing ad layouts and settings.

•\tProject templates with pre-built ad structure including banners, splash pages, and menus.

•\tAn extensive library of page layouts, controls, and interactive elements.

•\tSophisticated object animation tools with precise control over event timing and object properties.

•\tThe ability to create custom, reusable elements for use in iAd advertising.

•\tAdvanced JavaScript code editing and debugging.

•\tiAd simulation for Mac and iOS devices.

Apple recently raised iAd developer revenue to 70 percent, up from 60 percent. The bump is reportedly meant to compensate for lower ad rates, which started at $1 million when the solution first debuted in 2010. iAd has seen dwindling interest and Apple lowered the minimum price of entry to $500,000 mere months after launch. Last July saw another decrease to $300,000 and the current minimum stands at $100,000.

The iPhone maker is looking to stoke the flames and released version 2.0 in November 2011, which brought animation tools and code-editing improvements to the platform.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I wonder what the adoption rate in % is in free apps is, seems to be pretty poor. In the numerous ios free apps I 've sampled I've yet to see it.

iAd is a good idea (who doesn't hate the google network of ads popping up everywhere and being of little taste and use?) but the starting minimum a couple of years ago sounds even by todays standards incredibly high. I think if apple wants to ever get it going they should raise developer revenue to 80%, or even just not take a cut out of it at all. The dev. should be able to get all the money from the ads they make via their app, since they offer it for free on the app store. If apple provide the tools to create such ads they should probably only be doing it so they can have free apps on their store which will give people more incentives to buy ios products.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    Twitter integration could be huge. If an iAd dev creates a compelling ad that's fun to play with and convinces people to buy the product, users might want to tell people about it. And I gather a few of those users would more likely tweet about that product from the ad than leave the app and go to Safari, find the product page, and tweet manually from there.

Heck, if Twitter integration includes pulling tweets rather than solely pushing them, there are a few scenarios where that would be neat too.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I wonder what the adoption rate in % is in free apps is, seems to be pretty poor. In the numerous ios free apps I 've sampled I've yet to see it.

iAd is a good idea (who doesn't hate the google network of ads popping up everywhere and being of little taste and use?) but the starting minimum a couple of years ago sounds even by todays standards incredibly high. I think if apple wants to ever get it going they should raise developer revenue to 80%, or even just not take a cut out of it at all. The dev. should be able to get all the money from the ads they make via their app, since they offer it for free on the app store. If apple provide the tools to create such ads they should probably only be doing it so they can have free apps on their store which will give people more incentives to buy ios products.

"Free" is not what it used to be. Ad-supported apps end up costing the consumer in other ways.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    "I have my own theory about why decline happens at companies like IBM or Microsoft. The company does a great job, innovates and becomes a monopoly or close to it in some field, and then the quality of the product becomes less important. The company starts valuing the great salesmen, because they?re the ones who can move the needle on revenues, not the product engineers and designers. So the salespeople end up running the company."- Steve Jobs

This is one of reason why I hope iAds never becomes too big, because the last people we want to be (inadvertently) running Apple are advertising/sales guys.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Dancing with the Stars 2012 ? Jaleel Milky and Kym Johnson, ?The votes are in and all I wanna do is review again.?

Critics and insensitive fans are both agreeing that Dancing with the Stars 2012 (Season 14) has been a magnificent smack bang so decidedly, with people already buzzing here who has to communicate with (lamentably). Like any tournament there is the despondent reality that you may not mount as clearly as you had hoped and someone see fit end up as the primary to go as on Tuesday night.

Dancing with the Stars 2012 ?No last chance, someone had to go..?

Peruse more here:

Click here to view source

Discuss!