Apple expected to become world's first trillion-dollar company by 2014

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

If Apple would become too huge it would have to split into separate businesses. Then in 10-20 years Apple is gonna be conglomerate like Samsung conglomerate.
    • Apple Mobility

• Apple Computer

• Applesoft

• Apple Entertainment (iTunes and eventually more)

• Apple Media and Advertising (eventually including Apple Search)

• Apple Electronics (TVs, etc.)

• Apple Semiconductor (based on acquired Intrinsity and eventually others)

• Apple Display (based on to be acquired Sharp)

• Apple Appliances

And another thing. I know you're kidding, but you raise an important issue.

Steve said the company was going to stay like a startup, focused on products, with teams grouped around developing them, presumably with the top product guys including Tim Cook meeting with them as they go along.

This would also be a new thing in business and industrial history. It differs because every new product from a mind amplification company extends a previously unextended human capability, that is, they make a new product and a new market at the same time. This is a human-driven team process, not a department-of-product-engineering objective process.

For example, the cameras now being put into their phones and pads., and their connectivity to Flickr, etc.—this is something we didn't know we needed. The product creates a new need by exending a desire. It's now the best camera you can have because it's at hand or in your pocket. It's worth buying the iPhone 4S just for the camera.

In the car business, you are only going to improve one thing, the movement from one place to another. In the mind extension business, the limits are only the senses and the imagination.

This is why a revolution is happening right in front of us, though few realize it as yet. The old rules of business and empire—what rises must fall, growth crests and collapses, etc.—are worthless in this situation. Steve started a revolution, and the playing out could take many, many years. The haters and doomsayers are going to shriek themselves silly for the forseeable future as Apple takes over more and more mindspace.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Totally agree. People just don't understand this fact yet. As one great example, take a look at Apple's newest commercial "iCloud". I sat 3 non-technical people in a room, and not one of them could tell me WTF was going on in that ad. The ad doesn't even have a voiceover to explain what you're watching onscreen. Steve Jobs NEVER would have approved that ad, but now that Phil Schiller is running the marketing show, there's nobody to keep his bad instincts in check anymore. Same thing with all the other executives... Ron Johnson is gone, and the worst retail guy in UK history is now running Apple Retail?! The Titanic is beginning to sink, the cracks are already showing, yet nobody is paying attention.

I agree that the ad has problems and I've posted about that before, but I completely disagree that Steve wouldn't have approved it. IMO, that's exactly the kind of ad he would have approved. He would have thought a voiceover was not "aesthetic".

The Titanic is beginning to sink??? With Apple's sales and stock price??? It's more like The Titanic lifted itself out of the water and began to fly at Mach3. In a still-bad economy, the stock price has doubled in a year.

Not that they need it, but the question for Apple is whether they can find yet another product line to launch successfully. Maybe it's the Apple TV, maybe it's something else. Twenty years from now, I can see Apple being in the Robotics business. The question I have for Apple is whether they're going to continue to support the high-end or whether they're going to give up that business because the numbers pale in comparison to the consumer end of the business, even though it's the high-end that gives any company it's reputation.

If they give up the high end, I don't think it will hurt the sales numbers much, but it will negatively impact how Apple is perceived.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Out of this excellent and sane post, this paragraph, and the last sentence in particular.

This is just a new era in the history of technology. There hasn't been a real communication-computer-internet-media device industry until now, only twenty years of kluge?early stuff, like cars were before electric starters. Mobile computing is just getting started. Until someone else figures out how to design these products to work as well and look as good as Apple, they have the field pretty much to themselves. As you say, the growth possibilities are stupendous.

Here is a link to a recent Forbes article that probably is on the high-end of the bullish optimism scale:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjack...e-end-of-2015/

As you say, the boundaries between computing, telecommunications, all forms of media, and the Internet are not only blurring, but breaking down with these diverse areas becoming forever intertwined. And there is no other company better positioned to adapt to this massive paradigm shift than Apple. No one else is even close and Apple is the only company that can determine its own destiny through its complete control of its ecosystem. Everyone else is dependent on someone else to keep its head above water - ex. Samsung on Google, Microsoft on Nokia and vice versa, etc.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Can I play, too????

I predict that Apple will merge with France.

Nah, with two Brits as Senior Vice Presidents, they'll end up merging with the Falkland Islands.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Nah, with two Brits as Senior Vice Presidents, they'll end up merging with the Falkland Islands.

Or maybe they'll do a hostile takeover of France rather than a merger....
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:

Out of this excellent and sane post, this paragraph, and the last sentence in particular.

This is just a new era in the history of technology. There hasn't been a real communication-computer-internet-media device industry until now, only twenty years of kluge?early stuff, like cars were before electric starters. Mobile computing is just getting started. Until someone else figures out how to design these products to work as well and look as good as Apple, they have the field pretty much to themselves. As you say, the growth possibilities are stupendous.

There's some truth to that.

The question is: who will Apple's competition be? Who has the ability to offer the full 'communication-computer-internet-media device' besides Apple?

Samsung would be an obvious one, but they have no software or ecosystem experience.

Sony? Maybe - if they ever got their act together and started performing in all areas as well as they do in some (like TV).

Maybe that's Google's grand strategy with the Motorola acquisition. Maybe they're seeing the same thing you are and they're planning to chase Apple in that field. At least in set-top boxes, they'll have the pole position.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think I calculated it will need to be $1074 per share, based on the current number of outstanding shares, to reach that level.

How many shares are they buying back?
  • Reply 68 of 81
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

There's some truth to that.

The question is: who will Apple's competition be? Who has the ability to offer the full 'communication-computer-internet-media device' besides Apple?

Samsung would be an obvious one, but they have no software or ecosystem experience.

Sony? Maybe - if they ever got their act together and started performing in all areas as well as they do in some (like TV).

Maybe that's Google's grand strategy with the Motorola acquisition. Maybe they're seeing the same thing you are and they're planning to chase Apple in that field. At least in set-top boxes, they'll have the pole position.

Google could make some serious moves. Google should get Bang and Olufsen to compete with Apple. These guys at Bang and Olufsen have world class industrial design and expertise in audio, video, telephony, home automation, and car audio. And I would make Motorola a cell phone engineering/manufacturing wing of B&O. I can also see the Adobe acquisition and a killer Amazon/Google merger.

Samsung would also benefit from acquisitions in European industrial design, and software space.

Microsoft/Nokia still the player too.

Other players in the mix for potential mergers/partnerships against Apple: RIM, HP/WebOS, HTC, LG, Yahoo, Sony, Kodak
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

This is why a revolution is happening right in front of us, though few realize it as yet. The old rules of business and empire?what rises must fall, growth crests and collapses, etc.?are worthless in this situation.

I think I heard that somewhere before. Wait, I know where.

1997. Internet gold rush. Dotcom bubble.

The "old economy" was over. The business cycle was repealed.

Until reality set in...
  • Reply 70 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

....Bang and Olufsen[/URL] to compete with Apple. These guys at Bang and Olufsen have world class industrial design and expertise in audio, video, telephony, home automation, and car audio.

I have numerous products of theirs, mostly from the 1980s and 1990s. They truly rocked.

Now, to put in bluntly, they suck. They have not produced a half-way decent product since the birth of the digital music era. Their design has become laughable. They have totally lost their core customer base (I was in their flagship Copenhagen store a couple of years ago, and was quite shocked at how ratty it had become since I had visited it in the mid-1990s).
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

{regarding Bang and Olufson} I have numerous products of theirs, mostly from the 1980s and 1990s. They truly rocked.

Now, to put in bluntly, they suck. They have not produced a half-way decent product since the birth of the digital music era. Their design has become laughable. They have totally lost their core customer base (I was in their flagship Copenhagen store a couple of years ago, and was quite shocked at how ratty it had become since I had visited it in the mid-1990s).

Beyond that, B&O has never produced a mass market product. While Apple has a reputation for being overpriced (which hasn't really been true for at least 10-12 years), their products are at least within the realm of possibility for most consumers. B&O's stuff is way overpriced and no longer offers any quality advantage over any of the other premium brands.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Beyond that, B&O has never produced a mass market product. While Apple has a reputation for being overpriced (which hasn't really been true for at least 10-12 years), their products are at least within the realm of possibility for most consumers. B&O's stuff is way overpriced and no longer offers any quality advantage over any of the other premium brands.

The quality of both Apple and B&O industrial design is about equal and ahead of motorolas and samsungs. But what's different is that Apple products oriented on mass market while B&O is oriented on wealthy consumer.

Apple has a different business model:
    • Few or just one single product (keeps production cost low)

• Great industrial design

• Marketing hype brought to perfection

• Cheap Chinese labor

B&O business model:
    • Full range of products

• Great Industrial Design

• Modest marketing oriented on elite consumer

• European manufacturing labor

Now: in order to compete with Apple, Google could use B&O high end industrial design and consumer electronics expertise, producing for mass market at Apple prices with the help of Motorola and chineese foxconns.

B&O has full range of products: audio, video, tv, car entertainment, phones, home automation, even computer, but overall - too many models and overpriced for mass market. They can reduce number of models to one, use Google marketing muscle, Android OS, motorola mobile expertise and low cost labor.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Until reality set in...

Nice try. But a categorical error.

What's going to be happening is a hardware build-out, not a URL real-estate craze and venture capital boom.

Nearly everybody in the world wants a computer/camera/phone in their pocket or a screen in their hand. It will be a larger build-out than the first personal computer revolution?obviously, because you won't need a desk, just a pocket.

There may be a secondary bubble, say in apps like Facebook, but that won't affect the hardware companies, or the dominant company, i.e., Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Until reality set in...

You need to do a little more research on the single company that is driving this 'bubble' as you call it.

It's amazing how many of the trolls on this forum seem unable to differentiate between your average, everyday company that exists purely to make money, and a company like Apple.

I wonder if it is this inability to accurately interpret feedback (an ability extremely important in many different aspects of life, including the creation of successful relations) is what drives some of the individuals to be in the position that they are in now, actively seeking attention in places like this forum.

Quote:

Nice try. But a categorical error.

What's going to be happening is a hardware build-out, not a URL real-estate craze and venture capital boom.

Nearly everybody in the world wants a computer/camera/phone in their pocket or a screen in their hand. It will be a larger build-out than the first personal computer revolution—obviously, because you won't need a desk, just a pocket.

Anybody who's in the pocket-making business is going to make a fortune!
  • Reply 75 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It's amazing how many of the trolls on this forum seem unable to differentiate between your average, everyday company that exists purely to make money, and a company like Apple.

I wonder if it is this inability to accurately interpret feedback (an ability extremely important in many different aspects of life, including the creation of successful relations) is what drives some of the individuals to be in the position that they are in now, actively seeking attention in places like this forum.

Every single time there that Apple's success is brought up they say it's a fluke, or it's a bubble, or that it'll come crashing down any day now. Year after year we've seen Apple outperform, out innovate, and out maneuver every market they are in yet they can't seem to grasp why Apple is a success.

You don't even need to have a nuanced and in-depth understanding of technology to see Apple leverage their successes into other markets and to tie their products together with services to make the whole system build off itself... yet they think Apple is doomed.

Now that Jobs has passed I keep reading about all the things Apple is doing that Jobs wouldn't have tolerated or how it's drastic change in direction that will spell their doom. So their success was now warranted in retrospect but it's not all down here from here?
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You need to do a little more research on the single company that is driving this 'bubble' as you call it.

As someone else suggested earlier, Apple's position may be changing the entire consumer electronics industry into a communications-internet-electronics-media-advertising composite which covers a much wider range than a single company used to do and which no one else is (yet) doing.

This mirrors what has happened in some other areas. For example, in water treatment, it used to be that one company would provide ion exchange. Another would do RO. Someone else would do waste water treatment and chemical pretreatment. Someone else would do filtration. Yet another would do carbon filtration. Over the past decade, larger companies have been building groups which offer a one-stop shop for full water treatment services. Unfortunately, they have not done so as in integrated whole. The different companies in the group still offer different products and different design methodologies so you still need an integrator. It's not one clean, simple, modular package. But there is some overlap in the concepts.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Interesting. Maybe integration of everything is a function of ubiquitous computing. If the communication is there, things hook up. The metaterritorial imperative?
  • Reply 78 of 81
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

PetroChina, when it launched on the Shanghai stock exchange was the first Trillion dollar company in 2007.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/nov/06/china

Are they going to realize that Apple is not the first trilliion dollar company?
  • Reply 79 of 81
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Apple has lost its visionary leader.

Already, Apple has started to veer away from Steve's way of doing things.

Apple will become just another corporate monster.

Apple's cachet, so meticulously cultivated by Jobs, will evaporate.

The decline has already begun.

Apple may be growing for now, but it's just momentum.

The driving force is gone.

Hear, fucking hear ....

That special, irreproduable "Apple/Steve Vibe" just isn't there anymore.

Ever since the Edu event, it's been replaced with cut & paste, cookiecutter "CorpSpeak".

Apple just doesn't feel like Apple -- strong phablet & mini rumors, all the stock buybacks & options grabs, etc., etc.

And that lackluster iPad 3 event -- ugh ....

The only other time I had this feeling?

You know -- when Steve left in 1985 .....?

And look what happened then ....
  • Reply 80 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

It's not going to happen. If Steve Jobs were still alive I'd say it was possible. But Apple has lost its visionary leader. Already, Apple has started to veer away from Steve's way of doing things in little ways. Over time that process will accelerate and Apple will become just another corporate monster. Apple's cachet, so meticulously cultivated by Jobs, will evaporate and sales will stagnate. The inevitable decline has already begun. Apple may be growing for now, but it's just momentum at this point. The driving force is gone.

Pile of FUD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

That special, irreproducible "Apple/Steve Vibe" just isn't there anymore.

Sure it isn't.

Quote:

Ever since the Edu event, it's been replaced with cut & paste, cookiecutter "CorpSpeak".

Sure it has.

Quote:

strong phablet & mini rumors

Wait, what's that? On the horizon? IT'S THE IPHONE NANO. We KNOW that Apple HAS to release an iPhone nano! It's GOING to happen! People want smaller screens and no data and no apps! And the xMac! Apple's going to have to release one of those! And what's this? Steve Jobs was alive!

Quote:

And that lackluster iPad 3 event -- ugh ....

Either explain this facetious nonsense or come off it.