Apple exploring face detection to unlock, customize & interact with iOS devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature? I guess if Apple rips it off from somebody else, it's okay.

There was a rumor Apple will have this feature on the original iPad. That's way long before even Honeycomb.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knocks View Post

Notification center, facial recognition. What else is Apple looking to steal from Android? Maybe it's time to go thermonuclear on them?

I didn't realize Google invented facial recognition..
  • Reply 23 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I hope it works better than the Android phones, where you can use a picture of the person to unlock the phone.

LOL. I saw that on YouTube. How ironic.

Yet more quick-and-dirty perpetual beta software from Google. When will they ever learn?
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature? I guess if Apple rips it off from somebody else, it's okay.

Ice Cream Sandwich? The latest version of Android?

I hear it already has over 1% of overall Android market share. Five whole months after its release.

That fragmentation problem really is a killer, isn't it?

But oh well, like all fragdroid fans always say, "Wait until the next release!"

What's it called? Fruitcake?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Are you going to point out that Apple's original filings for this idea were made public long before ICS got this feature? Furthermore, are you going to point out that this is just a patent filing and in no way means Apple is actually going to implement it?

Face detection has been around a long time, Android is not the first system to use it, nor will it be the last. There have been all sorts of security clearance technologies used, fingerprint scanning, voice recognition, face detection, usb dongles, security cards, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I take the patent application art as proof that Jobs intended to be reincarnated as some kind of beach slacker with terrifying prosthetics.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature?

Really, would it have been that hard to read the thread before posting?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas. Why is this anything new?

Another opportunity for Apple to actually get it right for consumers.

Fair play to Apple, since the industry has been using Apple as its R&D dept. for years now.

Especially where it concerns Android.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    who give a rats a$$ who invented it. it would be neat to have as another option for iDevice.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But oh well, like all fragdroid fans always say, "Wait until the next release!"

What's it called? Fruitcake?

Jelly Bean. The first letters are in alphabetical order.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Oh look! Android's next major feature that fandroids will claim Apple stole...

Pattern detection
  • Reply 32 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You mean a junk OS with stolen parts that is in perpetual beta?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature?

They're still waiting for their carrier to offer an upgrade. If history is any guide, Ice Cream Sandwich will be available for current phone owners somewhere between 2015 and never.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:

The application describes a system that could scan and detect a specific user's face, and then unlock the device after the person has been recognized. If the user cannot be identified by the system, they would then be presented with the option of entering a security code to unlock the iPhone or iPad.

Oh Jeez, another "patent" application of a feature found on Android and my brother Galaxy Nexus... No doubt that the living joke that is the US patent office would grant it: scary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They're still waiting for their carrier to offer an upgrade. If history is any guide, Ice Cream Sandwich will be available for current phone owners somewhere between 2015 and never.

Huh, FYI the Galaxy Nexus who was released a few months ago in Europe run over Ice Cream Sandwich, it precisely have that feature: face unlock if you select it and if it fails either a schema or whatever you have selected next to unlock your phone... Inform yourself or look silly.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Nice to see Apple playing catch-up with Google.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    So basically it is going to work more or less the same way it does on my Galaxy Nexus....

It recognizes your face, it tracks your movement, and it can be used to set some custome features...

I wonder if Apple will sue Samgung or Google over this?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    knocksknocks Posts: 5member
    What's really sad is that if the article was about Google ripping off Apple's feature, this thread would have 300+ replies wishing Google and all of their employees to burn in hell forever. But since it's about Apple stealing, the fanboys just go about their business and troll in other threads
  • Reply 38 of 38
    ibogibog Posts: 5member
    Apple doesn't want 2 people to share 1 iphone/iPad. Apple wants to sell 2 phones. There will never be technology to improve the user experience for 2 people to share 1 iphone/ipad.

Go buy your own device.