Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I'd bet a dollar that if the Apple television set isn't just called "Apple TV," its name will have just two syllables. "iMac," "iPod," "iPhone," and "iPad" all have just two syllables. The new television, if and when it appears, should also have two-syllable name starting with 'i'.

How about "iView," or "iLook," or "iScreen"? Are all those taken (by anyone big enough to not be bought off)?
  • Reply 102 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

How about Apple TV?

Don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I'd guess it's 50/50: either "Apple TV" or "iX" where X is some one-syllable word.

Then again, the thing is going be more than "just a TV" so "Apple TV" may not cut it.

How about "iThing"? Or "iNode" in homage to iOS' UNIX origins...
  • Reply 103 of 131
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

IF this Peter Misek guy works for an investment company wouldn't making the statement that Apple stock will reach $800 and tack that onto a new Apple TV or Panel rumor be a little questionable. Is he trying to influence the stock price?

AI flipped the story in their title:

"Analyst Peter Misek with Jefferies upped his price target for AAPL stock on Thursday to $800 on the prospect of a television set from Apple."

He used the television launch as the foundation for his estimation of his analysis of the future stock price. The prospect of a television influenced his analysis as a positive price input.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Unless it is also a multi-touch screen, "iPanel" would be a rather bad name IMO.

All the uses he lists are "screen" uses. "Panels" can traditionally be control panels as well.

But what if it is? Like a control panel for everything in the house?

TV, Security, HVAC, Lighting, etc

I'm just thinking a bit beyond the dumb-box television. What if the iPanel can see who is watching and tune the availability of applications, shows, etc based on who is sitting in front of it? (As creepy as this sounds.)
  • Reply 105 of 131
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Nobody wants a fucking apple television. I can pick one up for dirt cheap and plug my AppleTV into it. Better yet, for those of us who are way beyond tv, into giant projection home theaters. Televisions are so yesterday.

All those parts being shipped are just for updated cinema displays, prolly with hdmi inputs. So anyone who really wants a television with an Apple logo on it can get one of those and an AppleTV.

Enough already.
  • Reply 106 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What????

It's so obvious it'll be called iBoard.

iCaramba!
  • Reply 107 of 131
    macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Nobody wants a fucking apple television. I can pick one up for dirt cheap and plug my AppleTV into it. Better yet, for those of us who are way beyond tv, into giant projection home theaters. Televisions are so yesterday.

All those parts being shipped are just for updated cinema displays, prolly with hdmi inputs. So anyone who really wants a television with an Apple logo on it can get one of those and an AppleTV.

Enough already.

Pre-launch: "Nobody wants a fucking Apple (whatever)."

Post-launch: "Everybody wants a fucking Apple (whatever)."

IPod 2001, IPhone 2007, iPad 2010, MacBook Air 2011... they're all failing!!!

So will iDisplay/iView/iLife (whatever it's called) 2012, right? Riiiiiigggghhhhht.

Apple's the first company in HISTORY to be worth more than half a TRILLION dollars and many are already outlooking it being the first to break that trillion dollar milestone in just a few years as well as targeting it's stock at near $1000 within that same time frame. Apple has done all this while having only a relatively small portfolio of higher quality, streamlined/seamlessly integrated, intuitive and overall more efficient products as opposed to tons of dirt cheap crap being made by dirt cheap crap companies.

Many don't care about "dirt cheap" crap that ends up costing more in the long run and being less desirable because it's dirt cheap crap, either in terms of the actual materials, manufacturing, software, lack of user friendliness, but usually a combination of all of those... see windows computers.

Apple is BY FAR the most valuable technology company in the WORLD and in HISTORY because they have always understood that.

YOU should too.

"I'm not responsible for other peoples lack of foresight, much less their ignorance." - ME, 2001 (foresseing Apple's technology industry dominance within 10 years AND entry into the home entertainment market - replacing SONY - by 2012).
  • Reply 108 of 131
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    iHome
  • Reply 109 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

iHome

Nope.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Whatever tv Apple decides to bring out, it will be overpriced, as per the usual Apple BS, and there will be MUCH BETTER products out there from competitors. But the fanboys will be sucked in by al the hype and show off how cool their new toy is to all of their friends.

Thanks for the insight, Mr Openminded.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    macquestmacquest Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Thanks for the insight, Mr Openminded.

HA!

Mr. "Openminded" clearly does not comprehend the meaning of the word "ironic".

Dear Mr. Openminded - it's the security/reliability/stability of the OS, the seamless integration of that OS with hardware, and the seamless integration of that hardware with other hardware running either the same or a compatabile OS, that causes the Apple "HALO" effect.

NO OTHER COMPANY OFFERS THAT.

Remember it. Write it down. Take a picture. I don't give a f*ck.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

HA!

Mr. "Openminded" clearly does not comprehend the meaning of the word "ironic".

Dear Mr. Openminded - it's the security/reliability/stability of the OS, the seamless integration of that OS with hardware, and the seamless integration of that hardware with other hardware running either the same or a compatabile OS, that causes the Apple "HALO" effect.

NO OTHER COMPANY OFFERS THAT.

Remember it. Write it down. Take a picture. I don't give a f*ck.

Clearly you give a damn, or you wouldn't have invested all these words, poorly written as they are
  • Reply 113 of 131
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    I like "iView" or "iVision"
  • Reply 114 of 131
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Enough already.

well, never underestimate Apple fan's loyalty. I remember back in early 2000's, when LG supplied the same exact 19" flat panels under different name brand for Dell and Apple. Dell's was selling for $399 while Apple's at $900 - and it was selling like hotcakes.

Apple's TV doesn't have to be *better* or *innovative*... Apple just needs a good ad campaign..

On an unrelated note, I'm selling all my apple shares (100), the day Apple officially announces iPanel, or Apple TV panel (iVietnam).
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Misek should just stick to being head cheerleader and not delve into creative development, branding and marketing. Apple is not stupid like a panel. Apple is making the next best TV that does more than even the best new internet TVs.

Here is just a sampling of why Apple (one of the most intelligent companies in the world) wouldn't think about naming their next generation TV (that's what it is folks!), anything but the iTV.

1. Apple has the wherewithal to procure the name iTV from any entity. Why wouldnt iTV Plc want to have their name associated with one of the best company in the world? Imagine the deals and growth they would experience as a result. Plus, it's obvious that they are already in Apple's camp when they let their US trademark go abandonded recently as well as not even admitting they won't vigorously defend their name.... Wake up Misek, that deal has been done already. So relax, this obvious PR job won't affect the negotiations and price now for iTV, and his stock guesses won't be affected either.

2. iTV is currently an intuitively recognizable brand name widely associated with Apple already that can drive Apple?s revenue growth immediately and well into the future. Introducing a new brand name of that magnitude would take a vast amount of resources (probably close to $1B) as well as impacting the product?s critical time to market.

3. Apple does not want the name iTV to become generic because it would spawn a dizzying array of copycats and water down the brand (and Apple?s existing brands!), which would greatly affect their future earnings. Many competitors are lining up to tap into to the TV Everywhere, or Content Everywhere models and content delivery market currently being touted. Those competitors would enjoy the instant brand recognition that an iTV name would garner.

4. Apple?s millions of ardent followers and customers covet the iTV name/brand. It would be a public relations nightmare if the device wasn?t identified with the widely expected logical name and the name that is currently being bantered about.

5. Steve Jobs legacy, and the name he touted, the iTV, would be fulfilled.

This is becoming old news. There have been thousands of dumb as a panel names like the iPanel that have been floated since the introduction of the Apple TV set top box device. Good thing Apple isn't dumb; they know you have been (even in this article), and already are, calling their new device the iTV, and so will they.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C_Squid View Post

Here is just a sampling of why Apple (one of the most intelligent companies in the world) wouldn't think about naming their next generation TV (that's what it is folks!), anything but the iTV.

Here's a sampling of why they wouldn't:

Britain.

Quote:

2. iTV is currently an intuitively recognizable brand name widely associated with Apple

Er, how?

Quote:

3. Apple does not want the name iTV to become generic

Been owned by a British company for decades. The amount of money it would take to change people's minds about what they think when "iTV" comes up is far greater than establishing a brand new name.

Quote:

4. Apple?s millions of ardent followers and customers covet the iTV name/brand.

Well, I don't. So that's millions-1, at least.

Quote:

It would be a public relations nightmare if the device wasn?t identified with the widely expected logical name and the name that is currently being bantered about.

iSlate. iTab. iTablet. Slate. MacTab. And that's just for the iPad. People got over it. And we don't "expect" iTV as its name, really. I don't expect a TV at all.

Quote:

5. Steve Jobs legacy, and the name he touted, the iTV, would be fulfilled.

Now you're reaching.

Quote:

Good thing Apple isn't dumb; they know you have been (even in this article), and already are, calling their new device the iTV, and so will they.

This was said before the iPad's launch. Just replace "are" with "aren't" and "iTV" with "iPad".
  • Reply 117 of 131
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

The center of of your digital hub including all home entertainment. The only name that makes sense:

iControl

Is that a joke? Not only is that not the only name that makes sense, it's not even a name that makes sense.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    My money is on iView
  • Reply 119 of 131
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Apple Television.

Never abbreviated.

The ad campaign can be...

Introducing the Television. (long pause) By Apple.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    ibogibog Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

IF this Peter Misek guy works for an investment company wouldn't making the statement that Apple stock will reach $800 and tack that onto a new Apple TV or Panel rumor be a little questionable. Is he trying to influence the stock price?

If Misek owned shares of APPL or in some way could benefit from the stock price increasing it could be a conflict to say the price will increase. There are strict regulations about what investment advisors can do or say when selling stock. It is common for analysts to publish research and these individuals are typically not involved in the sale of those stocks.