Intel sinks 'hundreds of millions' of dollars into Ultrabook ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

And, it is a dangerous game for Intel to go to war with arguably its most important customer. Very dangerous

Sounds like this is the new way business is done--Samsung?
  • Reply 22 of 99
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

which are inspired by Sony

MacBooks were kicking the industry's butt well before the Vaio showed up to try and out-glam Apple. Once again, Apple lead, others followed.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

Inspired by Intel?? Surely you Jest. Try

Ultrabook-inspired by the Mac Book Air. Funded by Intel.

You took the words out of my mouth! I'd add, 'R & D, advertising and market testing funded by Apple.'
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbot3000 View Post

Intel isn't fighting the MacBook air, they're fighting the iPad. Post-PC devices (just iPad ) don't use any intel chips. This is bad for intel.

The release of new chips for Apple seems to have slowed too, might be coincidence of course ....
  • Reply 25 of 99
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

So that's why the other day intel was bragging about the ultra or net books trump MacBook airs.

Yeah, they are comparing a brand new product using the latest processors against a year old product. Yeah, and Apple is releasing their Ultrabook killer in the next few months or weeks. So Intel is just trying to get much needed media attention so they feel like they matter.

When Apple steals all of the press, their competitors feel neglected and insecure.

It's been a while since we've heard from Steve Ballmer, he usually surfaces to bash Apple, but haven't heard a peep out of him in he media. He's probably trying to figure out how he can license OS X and iOS from Apple and resell it to the PC makers...
  • Reply 26 of 99
    They are all using the same chips from what i know, it is just that they know when Apple is going to release their products since they send Apple chips. Plus, Apple has different displays.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Only if Intel's advertising actually increases the number of systems sold. If they simply switch customers from buying MacBook Airs to buying Ultrabooks, there's no benefit (unless Intel is charging the other companies significantly more than Apple). So Intel would be spending hundreds of millions of dollars and not gain anything.

Intel could win or lose depending on the scenario, though.

If Apple is planning to leave Intel for AMD or ARM (neither one very likely in my view), then any customers that intel switches from Apple to clones would be a gain.

OTOH, if Apple was not planning to leave Intel, but this advertising causes them to, then Intel loses. Again, I don't see Apple changing their plans on the basis of Intel's advertising.

+1.

Apple is not planning on leaving Intel for AMD. They aren't going to use ARM for their laptops/desktops in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supabooma View Post

In reality, Intel and Apple collaborated very closely on the original MBA design. Apple may have lead the aesthetics of the MBA, but it was actually Intel that designed the component architecture. Source: I work in this industry.

Yes and it reminds of how Apple and Microsoft worked on Office For the Mac at Apple's behest. Some time later guess what Microsoft came out with all on their own?
  • Reply 29 of 99
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    One problem for them is that they look just like MB Air. So it is almost a commercial for Apple. LOL

Wish I had time to go in and frame for frame put an apple logo on that "ultrabook"
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

One problem for them is that they look just like MB Air. So it is almost a commercial for Apple. LOL

Wish I had time to go in and frame for frame put an apple logo on that "ultrabook"

Just use a tracking matte.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Wait, hate to beat a dead horse...

But where are all the fandroids claiming Apple stole the ultrabook idea from Google? Surely Apple couldn't have started something new where the rest of the industry is trying to play catch up?

"Intel Inspired" ... Indeedily-doodily-NOT
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes and it reminds of how Apple and Microsoft worked on Office For the Mac at Apple's behest. Some time later guess what Microsoft came out with all on their own?

Well that was kinda Apple's fault with the contract agreement. Apple didn't know Microsoft would actually steal their code and build their own GUI based OS with it. For those that weren't around then, Apple allowed Microsoft to port the Macintosh Toolbox to x86 so that Microsoft could more easily write a GUI Office suite for DOS. Microsoft then used the same code to rewrite Windows, which at the time was an abysmal POS OS.

Anyone who was a programmer at the time could EASILY tell by looking at the APIs that Microsoft clearly used Apple's Macintosh Toolbox API set to create Windows.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

But where are all the fandroids claiming Apple stole the ultrabook idea from Google?

As Google has no laptop (or computer) presence, that makes no sense. The "stole from Google stole from" argument applies to handhelds.

"Copied from Sony" is what they're saying here.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As Google has no laptop (or computer) presence, that makes no sense. The "stole from Google stole from" argument applies to handhelds.

Uh, yeah... thanks for pointing that out. I was actually joking. Didn't realize it wasn't obvious!? Do we need to provide a disclaimer with every comment?

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Apple or a current shareholder of Apple stock. Anything I say may be taken with a grain of salt as I am also not an expert analyst. The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Uh, yeah... thanks for pointing that out. I was actually joking. Didn't realize it wasn't obvious!? Do we need to provide a disclaimer with every comment?

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Apple or a current shareholder of Apple stock. Anything I say may be taken with a grain of salt as I am also not an expert analyst. The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.

*sigh* You read enough of that tripe, you start thinking that everyone that says it believes it.

Apologies.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Copied from Sony" is what they're saying here.

/cough Chromebook, /cough.

So show us this "Sony" that inspired the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

/cough Chromebook, /cough.

Didn't they just give that away for free to beta testers and not put it on the market?

Quote:

So show us this "Sony" that inspired the MacBook Air.

Exactly.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Open them up, and you'll see a Mac Air knockoff.

Apple may have actually saved Intel from certain demise within 5-10 years.

good times...

F
  • Reply 39 of 99
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And what inspired Intel?

Apple
  • Reply 40 of 99
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A “new era” of offering what Apple designed and sold over 4 years ago.

Then Apple undercut everyone on price, offering an SSD model for far less than the competition. The Air is a runaway success.

And now some PC makers are moving forward, stepping up to offer knock-offs (cheap plastic and lacking OS X and Thunderbolt, typically) but not succeeding in the market. The MacBook Air is doomed? Unless, maybe, yet another evolution of the MacBook Air is on the way...