Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

just when you think article quality cannot get any worse, DED hits one out of the field.

followed by five sycophantic comments.

+1
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Why does this author think this is news???

Tomorrow AAPL could do a 2 for 1 stock split and their stick price would then be $316 and change per share.. Google would then be in the lead??? This article is ludicrous.

590 B in market cap and redicioulous profits each quarter. That's what matters. Not some arbitrary stock price with no comparison to outstanding shares.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    i'm not sure which i find more titillating: this, uhm article; the fact that appl's close today was 634.34 and that the code of federal regulations, title 32, subtitle a, chapter v, subchapter 1, part 634, subpart d, section 634.34 is regarding blood alcohol concentration standards (which ded was clearly in violation of); or that saturday, october 31, 2009, was the last time that lake mohave's elevation was 634.34 feet above sea level. quite the conundrum. quite.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'm not sure which i find more titillating: this, uhm article; the fact that appl's close today was 634.34 and that the code of federal regulations, title 32, subtitle a, chapter v, subchapter 1, part 634, subpart d, section 634.34 is regarding blood alcohol concentration standards (which ded was clearly in violation of); or that saturday, october 31, 2009, was the last time that lake mohave's elevation was 634.34 feet above sea level. quite the conundrum. quite.

The stock got up to $634.34 in after hours trading. The article correctly states that the close price was $633.68.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

The stock got up to $634.34 in after hours trading. The article correctly states that the close price was $633.68.

i stand corrected. and all my research gone to waste. the horror.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    I guess what I get out from this is if I had bought an equal about of shares of Google and Apple a year ago, the Apple shares would be worth a whole lot more. Consider 100 shares of each.

4/06/2011

Google closed at 474.18 or $47418 Today? $63232 or $15,814 increase in value

Apple closed at 338.04 or $33804 Today? $63368 or $29,564 increase in value

And my Apple portfolio is now worth more than my Google portfolio.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.

The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).

While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.

My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).

One of the 3 people argued with me saying "Why would I buy Apple stock for $10 a share when I can buy 10 shares of (some Chinese bean stock - seriously) at only $1 a share and have 10x more shares?!"

"I'm not responsible for other people's lack of foresight, much less their ignorance." - ME, 2001

For the person arguing that this is close to insider trading, it's not.

For it to be insider trading:

1. The person would have to have access to non-public information. Since a lot of people knew about Jobs' meeting with those executives, it wasn't non-public. Similarly, if the meetings took place in a public location, then by definition simple knowledge of the meeting would not be non-public.

2. The information would have to be material. There are very few scenarios where simply knowing that two people met would be material. Simply knowing that Jobs met with Sony tells you nothing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I guess what I get out from this is if I had bought an equal about of shares of Google and Apple a year ago, the Apple shares would be worth a whole lot more. Consider 100 shares of each.

4/06/2011

Google closed at 474.18 or $47418 Today? $63232 or $15,814 increase in value

Apple closed at 338.04 or $33804 Today? $63368 or $29,564 increase in value

And my Apple portfolio is now worth more than my Google portfolio.

That's really the key. Or, more importantly, a prediction of future gains or losses. Apple is on a very strong growth curve with modest P/E ratios. Google's P/E ratios are higher and growth rates are substantially less. Furthermore, there are plenty of potential problems in Google's future:

- Revenues from Android phones are very disappointing

- Falling ad prices

- Samsung getting into mobile advertising

- Fragmentation of Android continues (and may even be accelerating)

- Acquisition of Motorola may turn out to be an albatross

- Motorola acquisition does not appear to protect them from patent problems as they had hoped.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    does anyone short this stock...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    In other news, one gallon of milk now costs more than one almond!

That statement is EXACTLY COMPARABLE to "AAPL stock price now exceeds GOOG stock price". Hell, what about Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A)? Will AAPL not be King of Wall Street until it's per-share price breaks the $120,000 mark??

Stupidest article ever, I think.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

In other news, one gallon of milk now costs more than one almond!

That statement is EXACTLY COMPARABLE to "AAPL stock price now exceeds GOOG stock price". Hell, what about Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A)? Will AAPL not be King of Wall Street until it's per-share price breaks the $120,000 mark??

Stupidest article ever, I think.

Dude, all you Apple haters and geeks and losers are pathetic...

This is a great article that I see is a milestone because this date is one of my favorites. I find this date comparable to when Steve Jobs sent the company an email about when Apple surpassed dells stock-price.

Apple deserves and has earned the stock price they have the best of the best of the best products on the market. Apple stock price is not overvalued like Google. Especially when you take into consideration revenue and profit.

So stop hating and saying dumb shit and say something positive for a change.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I know for my company, you have to take it out of your paycheck to pay for stock and you have to keep it for 6 months. I'm sure it's similar for Apple and other companies. They aren't going to allow you to invest "outside" money at the discounted share price.

Excellent points. Different companies have different rules on this. And there are also IRS and SEC rules governing ESP plans - which I cannot quote just now. At one past company, the maximum was related to your annual salary, and a loan could be taken out to purchase the shares (repaid through payroll deductions). But the loan could be paid off in full, rather than taken out of your check. But true, trading these sorts of positions is strictly controlled/forbidden. If you try to get cute with them, the tax implications can be a nightmare.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

For the person arguing that this is close to insider trading, it's not.

For it to be insider trading:

1. The person would have to have access to non-public information. Since a lot of people knew about Jobs' meeting with those executives, it wasn't non-public. Similarly, if the meetings took place in a public location, then by definition simple knowledge of the meeting would not be non-public.

2. The information would have to be material. There are very few scenarios where simply knowing that two people met would be material. Simply knowing that Jobs met with Sony tells you nothing.

That's really the key. Or, more importantly, a prediction of future gains or losses. Apple is on a very strong growth curve with modest P/E ratios. Google's P/E ratios are higher and growth rates are substantially less. Furthermore, there are plenty of potential problems in Google's future:

- Revenues from Android phones are very disappointing

- Falling ad prices

- Samsung getting into mobile advertising

- Fragmentation of Android continues (and may even be accelerating)

- Acquisition of Motorola may turn out to be an albatross

- Motorola acquisition does not appear to protect them from patent problems as they had hoped.

Excellent post! We need a :clapping: smilie on here. At least a :thumbsup:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

does anyone short this stock...

I'm not that brave... and I don't drink massive quantities of alcohol before I open Trade Station. So, not me. But sure, there are people who short AAPL. The recent short interest on AAPL stood at 9.87 million shares, out of a float of 931.84 million. The recent short interest on GOOG was 3.75 million shares, out of a float of 251.59 million. And for MSFT, the figure was 61.56 million, out of a float of 7.56 billion shares. For poor old RIMM, it was 60.32 million shares, out of a float of 495.53 million shares. But no matter how things look, there will always be someone willing to make a contrary bet.

At some point, I'm sure AAPL will consolidate these fast & furious gains. But shorting it is like trying to catch a burning coal. At most, I might try an options strategy weighted toward being long the put side. But that's as far as I would take being an AAPL bear these days. They keep doing the right things over & over & over. Even if I wasn't an Apple fan, I just couldn't see betting against that sort of execution anytime soon.