Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Samsung released an estimate for its first quarter 2012 earnings on Friday, revealing record profit of $5.1 billion from $39.8 billion in sales.

The South Korean electronics maker that domestic disclosure regulations would not allow it to provide range estimates for earnings, so it provided the median of its ranges, which came to 5.8 trillion won ($5.1 billion) for operating profit and 45 trillion won ($39.8 billion).

Based on Korean International Financial Reporting Standards, the sales range was from 44 to 46 trillion won and the operating profit range was from 5.6 to 6.0 trillion won. A consensus forecast by Thomson Reuters had estimated 5 trillion won in operating profit on projected shipments of 44 million smartphones.

According to the estimates, Samsung's first quarter 2012 profit jumped up almost 100 percent year over year, while revenue increased by 20 percent.

Hana Daetoo analyst Lee Ka-keun told Reuters that sales of the Galaxy Note tablet/phone hybrid had helped Samsung set the new record.

"Higher-than-expected shipments of the Galaxy Note seem to have given an upside to earnings," said Lee. "Note sales will increase further in the second quarter, and handset profit will grow despite a rise in marketing costs related to the London Olympics."

Some analysts expect Samsung's smartphone business to have brought in roughly two thirds of the company's profits last quarter.

Looking ahead, the company is expected to enter even fiercer competition with Apple when it releases an update to its Galaxy S handset.

"Samsung and Apple are expected to launch the new Galaxy S and iPhone in the second quarter, respectively, and they will engage in a full-fledged war," said Lee.

Though some reports have claimed Apple could release its 2012 iPhone as early as June, the majority of sources believe it is more likely to arrive in the fall.

Apple and Samsung have traded spots at the top of the list of global smartphone makers in recent quarters. In the third quarter of 2011, Samsung was estimated to have beat out Apple in terms of smartphone shipment volume, but release of the iPhone 4S put Apple back on top in the fourth quarter.

Competition between the two companies has extended into the courtroom. Apple and Samsung are both actively engaged in multiple legal complaints against each other across numerous countries. Recent developments in the patent battle include favorable term definitions for Apple in its original U.S. lawsuit against Samsung and the sending of source code from Qualcomm and Intel to lawyers in Australia for use in Apple's defense against infringement claims from Samsung.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 227
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Lol at Google taking huge losses on Android so they can gift profits to Samsung.
  • Reply 2 of 227
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Boycott Samsung. Now who's with me?
  • Reply 3 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.
  • Reply 4 of 227
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone
  • Reply 5 of 227
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Windows phones don't use Samsung components?

Interesting....

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-S...eardown/4469/2

Quote:

Big players on the front of the lower motherboard include:

Qualcomm RTR6285 multi-band UMTS/EGPRS transceiver with integrated GPS

Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 1GHz RISC microprocessor with embedded DSP.

Samsung KA100O015E-BJTT 512 MB NAND Flash + 512 MB SDRAM chip

Like most smartphones, the Surround utilizes dual microphones to cancel background noise during phone conversations. The lower microphone can be seen near the Micro-USB port.

The chips are identical to those found inside the Nexus One.

First example of a non-Samsung Windows phone using A Samsung component
  • Reply 6 of 227
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Components Apple paid for, not components they stole.

PS: Samsung phones are filled with components they don't make.
  • Reply 7 of 227
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Windows phones don't use Samsung components?

Interesting....

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-S...eardown/4469/2

First example of a non-Samsung Windows phone using a Samsung component

Ah, the latest catch-cry of the droid army: Apple uses Samsung components, so every Apple device is actually a Samsung device.

Nice leap of logic boys.

If the sand to make Apple's LCD screens also came from Africa, should Apple add a 'Made in Africa' stamp to the back of their devices as well?

• Reply 8 of 227
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    That's a lot of revenue for goods that were only shipped
  • Reply 9 of 227
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

That's a lot of revenue for goods that were only shipped

That's also going to be an awful lot of landfill in a years time.
  • Reply 10 of 227
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    You mean they don't know exactly how much they made?
  • Reply 11 of 227
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not.

Samsung makes money by fooling the consumer. Buy this new shiny toy that's better because of big screen, and Super AMOLED screen, etc. Not telling you that your Christmas gift comes with no software updates in the future. That's not customer building, that's going for fast and easy profits.
  • Reply 12 of 227
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Samsung margin: abount 10%.

Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!
  • Reply 13 of 227
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    That's your opinion.

The alternatives are junk and it shows in the end product.

Samsung's R&D also already covered by Apple, so Samsung can absorb zero percent margin as they deservingly should.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.

Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

• Reply 14 of 227
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    When do they release the actual figures? Estimates don't mean much.
  • Reply 15 of 227
    Count me in. Samsung makes me sick. I hope the company dies a slow and painful death.

Quote:

I am.

• Reply 16 of 227
    >>>chokes and vomits<<<

Quote:

Buy windows phone

• Reply 17 of 227
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

No one.

Quote:

I am.

No, you're not. Stop lying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Count me in. Samsung makes me sick. I hope the company dies a slow and painful death.

Count you out.

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.
  • Reply 18 of 227
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member
    Corporations really don't care. They just want your money.
  • Reply 19 of 227
    From my end yes, I can. Apple may take longer to remove the offending component in its products, but as far as I am concerned, I will not be buying a Galaxy tab or any other product with Samsung's logo in it's face. This, I can do, at least for now.

For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

Also, please do not make decisions for other people. It's rude.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Count you out.

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.

• Reply 20 of 227
    Most of these profits come from the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Note. I don't see how these are iPhone copies.