Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 227
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

It's funny, in the realm outside of Apple centrism, industry leaders such as the Mobile World Congress seem to think otherwise. They voted the Galaxy S2 Best Smartphone and Samsung the Best Manufacturer, all in the year of copygate. It must sicken you to know that Apple relies on Samsung for a lot of its most critical components. For fb's like you, I hope change will come soon.
  • Reply 22 of 227
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Most of these profits come from the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Note. I don't see how these are iPhone copies.

The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year or two. It will slow down once they see Samsung doesn't care.
  • Reply 23 of 227
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    We both know that's wishful thinking, but thanks anyway stelligent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

For fb's like you, I hope change will come soon.

• Reply 24 of 227
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John F. View Post

My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not.

Samsung makes money by fooling the consumer. Buy this new shiny toy that's better because of big screen, and Super AMOLED screen, etc. Not telling you that your Christmas gift comes with no software updates in the future. That's not customer building, that's going for fast and easy profits.

One second you are abusing Samsung, next it is Android, which one do you have the issue with.

Google provides updates to their applications quite often, it is Samsungs problem in providing the updates to Android itself
  • Reply 25 of 227
    Quote:

The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year or two. It will slow down once they see Samsung doesn't care.

I remember hearing this back when I bought my Galaxy S in June 2010. 21 months later, and my phone still gets software updates. I am fully aware that Apple still provides better and longer support, but that's not what I care for the most. I just prefer some Android phones to the iPhone, just like I prefer my iPad to Android tablets.
  • Reply 26 of 227
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

From my end yes, I can. Apple may take longer to remove the offending component in its products, but as far as I am concerned, I will not be buying a Galaxy tab or any other product with Samsung's logo in it's face. This, I can do, at least for now.

For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

Also, please do not make decisions for other people. It's rude.

I am not making decisions for you. You're making it yourself. Buying or using an iPhone or iPad goes against boycotting Samsung. I'm helping you from becoming a hypocrite.

As for unethical practices, Apple has been there, done that too. Are you going to boycott their products too? Oh wait, we already know the answer.
  • Reply 27 of 227
    All this brouhaha really comes down to having choice. It is good that you are satisfied with your Galaxy S (no sarcasm intended).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

I remember hearing this back when I bought my Galaxy S in June 2010. 21 months later, and my phone still gets software updates. I am fully aware that Apple still provides better and longer support, but that's not what I care for the most. I just prefer some Android phones to the iPhone, just like I prefer my iPad to Android tablets.

• Reply 28 of 227
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

WTF? This is Samsung's fault alone? This is because they don't care about their customers? You should learn the facts first. It will prevent you from being so wrong.
  • Reply 29 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

WTF? This is Samsung's fault alone? This is because they don't care about their customers? You should learn the facts first. It will prevent you from being so wrong.

I don't know what you are saying, please explain. It's gibberish to me. \

Many Samsung phones don't get updates, same for Motorola etc. Only certain Galaxy models get true support. But it's always a guessing game. So this is not Samsung's fault that many of their phones get no support? Okay. So them not giving support is because they care. Okay.

Hey, I'm all for choice and don't care which OS is "superior". Android is fine as an OS, but the companies that use Android have little incentive to craft a true software platform that they support longterm. In the end, all they care about is the hardware; that's the money for them (for Apple customer loyalty is the money). Plain Android is better then what these hardware manufacturers give the consumers. Yes, that's a bit Google's fault, so let's blame them then.
  • Reply 30 of 227
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone

Apple paid Samsung to produce the components. Samsung is just one of the slaves that happened to produce many of iPhone's components.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.

Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

As Samsung produces most of the component, and sell higher than Apple, don't you think Samsung margin on smart phone is bigger?
  • Reply 31 of 227
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Quote:

"The sweetness of low price never makes up for the bitterness of low quality" ~ Anon
  • Reply 32 of 227
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

"The sweetness of low price never makes up for the bitterness of low quality" ~ Anon

?The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten? - Benjamin Franklin
  • Reply 33 of 227
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.

Of course there is, just don't buy Samdung consumer products. How hard is that? Most, if not all of their consumer products are rip offs of something else on the market. They were originally a component supplier that jumped into the consumer electronics and appliance markets by making me too products.
  • Reply 34 of 227
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    i love samsung products, i have their tv & bluray player, they make great panels, apple uses them, they cant come up with ideas to save themselves tho

i woundnt get a phone off them, people on here are freakin weird, hating on a company, they are a big company that isnt just in the phone/tablet market & everything else they do is pretty damn good, they should leave phones tablets & laptops for apple tho
  • Reply 35 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

i love samsung products, i have their tv & bluray player, they make great panels, apple uses them, they cant come up with ideas to save themselves tho

i woundnt get a phone off them, people on here are freakin weird, hating on a company, they are a big company that isnt just in the phone/tablet market & everything else they do is pretty damn good, they should leave phones tablets & laptops for apple tho

Also have Samsung washing machine. Seems good to me. I have nothing against Samsung. I have nothing against Android. It's just this mismatch between the Google developed OS, and what these hardware manufacturers get to consumers, causing strain on support updates. I hope this doesn't happen to Windows Phone. I hope Windows Phone just gets direct support from Microsoft, whatever hardware manufacturer you buy from.
  • Reply 36 of 227
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    So much for no one making money with android

Just a matter of time before it takes over completely - The dumbing down of the apple community with all the iOS kids is all we going to end up with
  • Reply 37 of 227
    Literal minds don't understand. To them, it has to be 100% or it means nothing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Of course there is, just don't buy Samdung consumer products. How hard is that? Most, if not all of their consumer products are rip offs of something else on the market. They were originally a component supplier that jumped into the consumer electronics and appliance markets by making me too products.

• Reply 38 of 227
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member
    Apple is planning to shovel more money to Samsung than last year to buy their components.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

When you love your iPad emphatically and unequivocally but say you hate Samsung components without seeing the contradiction in those two visceral feelings, then you are _____ed.
  • Reply 39 of 227
    If you're pro android, what do you care? This is good for your cause, no? Your smiley face should be laughing!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

So much for no one making money with android

Just a matter of time before it takes over completely - The dumbing down of the apple community with all the iOS kids is all we going to end up with

• Reply 40 of 227
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:

Two different things:

Overpriced refers to the consumer purchase price. Both Samsung and Apple make phones that retail in the $600 range... or cheaper if you get them subsidized. In short... I can walk into a store and purchase a Samsung phone or an Apple phone for the same price.

A company's margin refers to how efficient they are in the development and manufacturing process. Apple can buy 60 million parts at one time if they have to... and they usually at a discount. And by not diluting their product line by pumping money into a bunch of dead-end products... they save even more money.

There's a big difference between developing 6 new phones a year... and only one new phone a year.

Apple still sells phones that are over one and two years old. That work was paid off years ago.

In contrast... introducing a new model every 3 months really eats into your margins when you factor in all the R&D that has to be done for each model. And when a particular phone is only sold for 6 months or less... that's a huge money pit.

I don't know the specifics of how much it costs to take a phone from conception to retail... but for some of the non-popular phones... are they even worth their while?

For instance... I've never even heard of the Samsung Illusion until I just saw it on Verizon's website... have they sold enough of them to cover development?

I'm sure they have... but you get my point. The more products you have to develop, build and support... the lower your margins will end up.