Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

I love Samsung!

• Reply 43 of 227
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.

Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

This is, of course, one of the most ridiculous oft-quoted statements on this forum.

Selling something is a fair exchange of a product for money. Overpriced would mean that they're charging more than someone would pay for the product. So the fact that Apple's sales are increasing at high double digit rates means that millions of consumers are happy to pay Apple's price - so they're not, by definition, overpriced.

Maybe you mean 'they're expensive' - which is a comparison between Apple's price and the competitor's price for similar products. But that's not true, either. The MacBook Air is easily competitive with other Ultrabooks (unless you look at the POS ones). The iPhone is right in line with other high-end phones. The iPad is about the same price (or lower) as equivalent tablets. The iMac and Mac Pro are comparable to equivalent machines. And the MacBook Pro is in line with other premium, quality laptops. So they're not expensive compared to the competition.

So I guess by 'overpriced', you mean "Mommy and Daddy won't increase my allowance enough to let me buy one.' That may be true. You simply need to get a job.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

One second you are abusing Samsung, next it is Android, which one do you have the issue with.

Google provides updates to their applications quite often, it is Samsungs problem in providing the updates to Android itself

I love the 'logic' of that. Who cares what updates Google provides when the user has no access to them. The overwhelming majority of Android users are still stuck on Android 2.2 or below because they don't have access to anything newer for their phones. So from the customer's perspective, the updates might as well not exist. It really doesn't matter if you want to blame Google or the handset manufacturer or the carrier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

So much for no one making money with android

Just a matter of time before it takes over completely - The dumbing down of the apple community with all the iOS kids is all we going to end up with

Uh huh. Fortunately, the rest of the world doesn't accept your theory. In fact, if anyone's market share is in danger, it would be Google. There are a number of factors on the horizon that could affect them:

- Lawsuits could block the sale of their products (or several OEMs' products). Or licensing fees could get expensive enough to increase the price of the phones

- Fragmentation is already chasing developers away.

- Samsung is going to do their own advertising. This risks creating more fragmentation and confusion in the market.

- Google's acquisition of Motorola could chase OEMs away or cause them to fork Android as Amazon did - causing even more fragmentation.

- Samsung is getting into the advertising business which means that Google's advertising revenues will be further degraded (and they're not that great to start with). Even now, every iOS sale that gets converted to an Android sale costs Google money.

Now, I don't predict that Android is going away any time soon, but the chances of them taking over the rest of the market are nonexistent.
  • Reply 44 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Two different things:

Overpriced refers to the consumer purchase price. Both Samsung and Apple make phones that retail in the $600 range... or cheaper if you get them subsidized. In short... I can walk into a store and purchase a Samsung phone or an Apple phone for the same price.

A company's margin refers to how efficient they are in the development and manufacturing process. Apple can buy 60 million parts at one time if they have to... and they usually at a discount. And by not diluting their product line by pumping money into a bunch of dead-end products... they save even more money.

There's a big difference between developing 6 new phones a year... and only one new phone a year.

Apple still sells phones that are over one and two years old. That work was paid off years ago.

In contrast... introducing a new model every 3 months really eats into your margins when you factor in all the R&D that has to be done for each model. And when a particular phone is only sold for 6 months or less... that's a huge money pit.

I don't know the specifics of how much it costs to take a phone from conception to retail... but for some of the non-popular phones... are they even worth their while?

For instance... I've never even heard of the Samsung Illusion until I just saw it on Verizon's website... have they sold enough of them to cover development?

I'm sure they have... but you get my point. The more products you have to develop, build and support... the lower your margins will end up.

At the same time you'd have to consider that Samsung actually produces many of the components used in it's products (buying from itself), and uses some of their own standards IP rather than needing to license it. In those two particular areas Apple is at a disadvantage.
  • Reply 45 of 227
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Mike,

Thanks for your logical input. However, we both know the other camp will simply ignore this and move on to other arguments. Apple sucks/is doomed, remember?

Quote:

Two different things:

Overpriced refers to the consumer purchase price. Both Samsung and Apple make phones that retail in the $600 range... or cheaper if you get them subsidized. In short... I can walk into a store and purchase a Samsung phone or an Apple phone for the same price.

A company's margin refers to how efficient they are in the development and manufacturing process. Apple can buy 60 million parts at one time if they have to... and they usually at a discount. And by not diluting their product line by pumping money into a bunch of dead-end products... they save even more money.

There's a big difference between developing 6 new phones a year... and only one new phone a year.

Apple still sells phones that are over one and two years old. That work was paid off years ago.

In contrast... introducing a new model every 3 months really eats into your margins when you factor in all the R&D that has to be done for each model. And when a particular phone is only sold for 6 months or less... that's a huge money pit.

I don't know the specifics of how much it costs to take a phone from conception to retail... but for some of the non-popular phones... are they even worth their while?

For instance... I've never even heard of the Samsung Illusion until I just saw it on Verizon's website... have they sold enough of them to cover development?

I'm sure they have... but you get my point. The more products you have to develop, build and support... the lower your margins will end up.

• Reply 46 of 227
    Is Apple obligated to win everything? The company moves at a deliberate pace. They may just make good on becoming that trillion dollar company.

As for Samsung, good or bad, will be around for a long, long time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

At the same time you'd have to consider that Samsung actually produces many of the components used in it's products (buying from itself), and uses some of their own standards IP rather than needing to license it. In those two particular areas Apple is at a disadvantage.

• Reply 47 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Apple is planning to shovel more money to Samsung than last year to buy their components.

All TRUE Samsung boycott members refuse to buy any Apple product that includes any Samsung components. We vote with our pocketbooks.
  • Reply 48 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Uh huh. Fortunately, the rest of the world doesn't accept your theory. In fact, if anyone's market share is in danger, it would be Google.

But in the meantime, Android is killing iOS phones in volume, and the platform on phones is growing MUCH faster than iOS. More and more people choose Android over iOS, and the proportions are growing.

Android continues to pull ahead, much faster than iOS. In market share, Android is winning. Indeed, it is pulling ahead, more and more every calendar quarter.

These are just facts. They cannot be denied.
  • Reply 49 of 227
    There is no contradiction. Think of it as a couple in an unhappy marriage but have to live with each other. At least until the divorce can be finalized.

You can hate your spouse because of irreconcilable differences and still love your children.

And no, I am not holding my breath for this farce to be over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Apple is planning to shovel more money to Samsung than last year to buy their components.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

When you love your iPad emphatically and unequivocally but say you hate Samsung components without seeing the contradiction in those two visceral feelings, then you are _____ed.

• Reply 50 of 227
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But in the meantime, Android is killing iOS phones in volume, and the platform on phones is growing MUCH faster than iOS. More and more people choose Android over iOS, and the proportions are growing.

Android continues to pull ahead, much faster than iOS. In market share, Android is winning. Indeed, it is pulling ahead, more and more every calendar quarter.

Pulling ahead "MUCH" faster...

link please.
  • Reply 51 of 227
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I bet Apple would trade its industry-leading profits for market share in a heartbeat.

• Reply 52 of 227
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Two different things:

While it is true that Samsung has a lot of phone models out, realize that a lot of the are just rebadges of one model for different carriers. For example, each of the 4 major US carriers got the galaxy s under a different name. The differences were mostly cosmetic, with some minor changes in radio hardware for the different networks. They share a majority of internals, so I can't imagine R&D would be too much for those models.

I really wish manufacturers would step away from doing this, as it does get confusing at times, and really dilutes brand image.
  • Reply 53 of 227
    Too bad it hasn't helped Google's bottom line (yes their focus is on ads).

Let the pissing contest continue. Sadly it won't help with android product quality.

>>Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz

These are just facts. They cannot be denied.<<
  • Reply 54 of 227
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Components Apple paid for, not components they stole.

PS: Samsung phones are filled with components they don't make.

But have many components that they DO make themselves.

You cant really say that about Apple. Design =/= make.
  • Reply 55 of 227
    Quote:

Besides the fact that I distrust your assertion as far as growth goes (can you provide a current, valid link?), you seem to equate marketshare with platform growth and that is just plain wrong. A platform grows not with just number of sold units but also with number of developers willing to put in man hours producing software for said platform. iOS is miles ahead of Android on that front.
  • Reply 56 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Pulling ahead "MUCH" faster...

link please.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ne_market.html
  • Reply 57 of 227
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

But have many components that they DO make themselves.

You cant really say that about Apple. Design =/= make.

And why would you want to? Samsung is Apple's bitch. Apple and others engineer the components and then Samsung assembles them. Your argument is akin to calling the MS Xbox a Foxconn Xbox because MS outsources the assembly of their products.

Bottom line: Neither Samsung nor Apple make OR design all the components in their systems.
  • Reply 58 of 227
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

1.7% for all vendors using Android OS compared to just the iPhone is MUCH faster to you? You and your ilk's arguments are fucking pathetic. At least try to form to a decent argument.
  • Reply 59 of 227
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Apple gained 4.58% and Android gained 5.99%. (re: your link)

We're talking 1.41%!

Only in a delusional mind could that be considered "MUCH" faster.

As Solipsism pointed out... an army of many against an army of one... and that's the best they could do. Seriously sad and pathetic.

(Solipsism - SSquirrel calculated the actual percentages of growth in that thread)
  • Reply 60 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1.7% for all vendors using Android OS compared to just the iPhone is MUCH faster to you? You and your ilk's arguments are fucking pathetic. At least try to form to a decent argument.

I dislike seeing you resort to profanity to make a strong point (but then I'm anyone special). Your arguments are usually well written, supported by facts and make sense without using it.\