Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple gained 4.58% and Android gained 5.99%.

We're talking 1.41%!

Only in a delusional mind could that be considered "MUCH" faster.

(Solipsism - SSquirrel calculated the actual percentages of growth in that thread)

OK, I'll concede to your word definitions. It is not worth fighting over the meaning of a word.

Replace "much" with "significantly". You win.
  • Reply 62 of 227
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

OK, I'll concede to your word definitions. It is not worth fighting over the meaning of a word.

Replace "much" with "significantly". You win.

Only in a delusional mind could the word "significantly" be used to replace "MUCH" with those sad pathetic numbers.
  • Reply 63 of 227
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I dislike seeing you resort to profanity to make a strong point (but then I'm anyone special). Your arguments are usually well written, supported by facts and make sense without using it.\

... and I don't give a shit if he uses profanity.
  • Reply 64 of 227
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Everyone copies each other. Many of the latest iPhone features came from FragDroid. When the iPhone gets NFC, wallet, and turn-by-turn directions this year, they will be copying FragDroid. That's not an opinion, that's fact. So STFU and stop pretending that Apple is a victim and not a perpetrator.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.

• Reply 65 of 227
    Quote:

And I don't give a good God damn if IH uses scatological language.
  • Reply 66 of 227
    Quote:

And I don't give a good God damn if IH uses scatological language.

I began scatological studies when I started reading your comments.
  • Reply 67 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

So STFU and stop pretending that Apple is a victim and not a perpetrator.

Apple, and by extension, Apple customers, certainly ARE the victim. They always have been.

Mac sales are the victims of stupid IT departments. Apple has been victimized by the dishonest stealing of its tech first by M$, and now by Google. Steve was victimized by the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Apple is a scrappy little company fighting the forces of corporate hegemony, fighting valiantly against the forces of darkness and evil.

It always has been, and always will be. Apple fights for truth and light, and is constantly victimized by the darkness and the lies of the status quo.

Apple customers are victims, who must always fight against everybody who is just plain wrong. The truth is a heavy burden, but Apple customers accept this, quietly and patiently, despite the onslaught of the jackals who cannot see the Truth.

/s
  • Reply 68 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

And I assume you also wouldn't care if he didn't so if there's any respect for other readers who prefer not to see it why resort to it if you don't care either way? Profanity is rarely necessary. In fact the more rarely it's used the more impactful it is when you do.
  • Reply 69 of 227
    Quote:

At the same time you'd have to consider that Samsung actually produces many of the components used in it's products (buying from itself), and uses some of their own standards IP rather than needing to license it. In those two particular areas Apple is at a disadvantage.

Electronic components are some of the lowest margin products in the world. So Samsung wouldn't have any advantage using their own components even if they got them at cost, because of the razor thin margins. When Apple buys components the IP is included in the price - you don't buy electronic parts and then add on a "per chip" license fee.

One big reason Samsung has low margins is because they sell a lot of feature phones and dumb phones. Devices with the slimmest margins of the mobile industry. They make larger margins on their high-end phones (getting close to Apple on many models) but the overall average is so low because Samsung sells almost 10 times as many feature/dumb phones as they do smartphones. Hence the low margins.

Quote:

But in the meantime, Android is killing iOS phones in volume, and the platform on phones is growing MUCH faster than iOS. More and more people choose Android over iOS, and the proportions are growing.

Android continues to pull ahead, much faster than iOS. In market share, Android is winning. Indeed, it is pulling ahead, more and more every calendar quarter.

These are just facts. They cannot be denied.

The lamest comment by the fandroids/haters. McDonald's sells more burgers than any other fast food company. But they are crap. Just like so many Android phones are crap - you just don't see them because no tech blogs bother to review phones like the Samsung Galaxy Europa (an Android phone with a 320x240 display running 2.1 Eclair) or the cheap Huawei phones (that sell in the millions).

Sorry to break it to you, but there's a reason why Andy Rubin never tells you the breakdown of those 800,000 (or whatever figure they're touting these days) activations per day of Android devices. It's because high-end products like the GS2 or Note represent a small chunk of the total with the rest being made up of budget devices.

As a developer this is why I don't waste time with Android anymore. The latest OS version breakdown?

2.9% - ICS

3.3% - Honeycomb

63.7% - Gingerbread

23.1% - Froyo

If Android is growing at a faster rate, then how come the adoption rates for the new OS versions are so low? Again, I hate to break the bad news to you but companies are still selling boatloads of brand new devices with Gingerbread and Froyo even though ICS has been out for almost 5 months now and Honeycomb much longer than that.

Do you even want to know the adoption rates for iOS upgrades?

Let's see now, as a developer I want to write my App to use all the newset features that ICS and iOS 5 provide. Do I write for a market with less than 3% adoption or one that's hit 75%? It's a no brainer. Perhaps Eric Schmidt should look at these numbers before he spouts off another stupid comment that Android development will pass iOS in 6 months (which is coming up on May 8th, BTW).
  • Reply 70 of 227
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    LOL. I was about to blow a gasket until I saw the /s.

Well played, sir.

Quote:

Apple, and by extension, Apple customers, certainly ARE the victim. They always have been.

Mac sales are the victims of stupid IT departments. Apple has been victimized by the dishonest stealing of its tech first by M$, and now by Google. Steve was victimized by the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Apple is a scrappy little company fighting the forces of corporate hegemony, fighting valiantly against the forces of darkness and evil.

It always has been, and always will be. Apple fights for truth and light, and is constantly victimized by the darkness and the lies of the status quo.

Apple customers are victims, who must always fight against everybody who is just plain wrong. The truth is a heavy burden, but Apple customers accept this, quietly and patiently, despite the onslaught of the jackals who cannot see the Truth.

/s

• Reply 71 of 227
    Quote:

I began scatological studies when I started reading your comments.

Very Freudian. I hope that I haven't adversely affected your anal stage of development.
  • Reply 72 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other fast food company. But they are crap.

Apple sells more smartphones than any other consumer gadget company.

Apple sells more apps than any other app store.

Apple sells more tablets than any other gadget company.

Are you certain that you want to go down this road?
  • Reply 73 of 227
    Quote:

Very Freudian. I hope that I haven't adversely affected your anal stage of development.

Not at all... I can spot an asshole from a mile away.

Apparently we can be off topic all we want... the mods don't seem to give a rat's ass about it.
  • Reply 74 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

LOL. I was about to blow a gasket until I saw the /s.

Well played, sir.

Thanks. I've learned that the /s is often necessary here, and I try to remember it.
  • Reply 75 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Editted, no benefit

My apologies
  • Reply 76 of 227
    Quote:

What's the giveaway, their attitude?\

Apparently.
  • Reply 77 of 227
    Quote:

Not at all... I can spot an asshole from a mile away.

Apparently we can be off topic all we want... the mods don't seem to give a rat's ass about it.

Cool. More scatological language. Twice in two sentences. Very telling.
  • Reply 78 of 227
    Quote:

Cool. More scatological language. Twice in two sentences. Very telling.

Obviously it has meaning for you. Very telling.
  • Reply 79 of 227
    Quote:

Obviously it has meaning for you. Very telling.

"I know you are, but what am I?"

Lame.
  • Reply 80 of 227
    Quote:

"I know you are, but what am I?

Lame.

... and who started this.

Super lame.