Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

I never said it would be a forced upgrade, just a free one.

And that's not what I'm saying at all.

Forced obsolescence, not updating. Like with iOS devices, except illegitimately so (because iOS device hardware actually can't handle OS' beyond what they get).
  • Reply 142 of 155
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure it will.

Which ones in particular? I'm just curious.
  • Reply 143 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Which ones in particular? I'm just curious.

The chips, you mean? Or which what? Model?
  • Reply 144 of 155
    Quote:

The chips, you mean? Or which what? Model?

The models and their respective brands.
  • Reply 145 of 155
    Quote:

The models and their respective brands.

I've heard that before, and I think they always reference either gaming machines or single core, high-end non-Xeon chips for their conclusions. Could be wrong though, but I don't see how another Xeon in, say, an HP could outperform the same chip in a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 146 of 155
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member
    Quote:

And that's not what I'm saying at all.

Forced obsolescence, not updating. Like with iOS devices, except illegitimately so (because iOS device hardware actually can't handle OS' beyond what they get).

I'm sorry but that still isn't making any since to me in the context of my initial post. Are you saying that Apple upgrading its OS is forcing obsolescence? If Apple is going to no longer charge for newer OS upgrades, how does that change anything compared to how its always been done, outside of the financial aspect of it?
  • Reply 147 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Are you saying that Apple upgrading its OS is forcing obsolescence?

How did you get that out of what I've said? If OS updates go free, computers will be artificially limited to a subset of them. THAT'S what I'm saying. I don't see how it could be misconstrued.

It's forced obsolescence in the sense that the software would work on older machines that wouldn't be allowed it. That's in contrast to today and in semi-parallel to iOS.
  • Reply 148 of 155
    Quote:

I've heard that before, and I think they always reference either gaming machines or single core, high-end non-Xeon chips for their conclusions. Could be wrong though, but I don't see how another Xeon in, say, an HP could outperform the same chip in a Mac Pro.

My mistake in having you guess. I meant to ask "What current $1,200 PCs will completely outshine the next Mac Pro in your estimation?"
  • Reply 149 of 155
    Apple products are staggered obsolescence over time.

No big surprise. They add new features and cut hardware off.

If you get 3 good years with forthcoming software updates count yerself lucky these days.

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

Er...I suppose desktop sales will plateau in the mean time as people wait. This has happened before. It's nothing new.

I don't see this iMac update as a 'blow my socks off' update. The last round saw a great top end model released with a really decent gpu option.

Anybody who is in the market for an iMac and are on a +3 year old iMac/PC switcher will be on to a good deal.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 150 of 155
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

If you get 3 good years with forthcoming software updates count yerself lucky these days.

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

Er...I suppose desktop sales will plateau in the mean time as people wait. This has happened before. It's nothing new.

I don't see this iMac update as a 'blow my socks off' update. The last round saw a great top end model released with a really decent gpu option.

Anybody who is in the market for an iMac and are on a +3 year old iMac/PC switcher will be on to a good deal.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Are you implying that it's time for me to retire my 2004 Dual G5 2.5 GHz Mac that I am using right now?
  • Reply 151 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Are you implying that it's time for me to retire my 2004 Dual G5 2.5 GHz Mac that I am using right now?

You may laugh...but I've seriously considered buying a 2nd hand G5 just to run my Adobe Design collection.

Rosetta will run Illustrator but Photoshop is a no go. I guess it has been ten years...still...a G5 is cheaper (these days) that Photoshop. How ironic.

If you're G5 is still doing loyal and decent service keep it. It is a thing of timeless, engineered beauty.

But I think you'd notice a difference going to a top end iMac or the new Mac Pro when it (finally?) arrives. Stating the obvious, I guess.

I had my old Power Mac 604e 200 mhz for years after I bought in 1997. It cost a fortune with a 21 inch monitor and the adobe collection back then. It was hard to let it go when I did. It ran Photoshop 4 just fine! The only thing that went wrong with it was the battery for the date.

Nostalgically,

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 152 of 155
    Quote:

My mistake in having you guess. I meant to ask "What current $1,200 PCs will completely outshine the next Mac Pro in your estimation?"

Oh, none.
  • Reply 153 of 155
    Quote:

Oh, none.

Ah I was a bit worried for a moment. Heh.
  • Reply 154 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It all depends upon your care in buying. With a careful selection of hardware you should get multiple years, with 5 years being easy. Right now one important key is to always prefer Macs with a dedicated GPU, one that supports OpenCL well. A second point buy at the sweet point between clock rate and cores. Third have more than enough RAM.

If you take care there is no reason why you shouldn't get 5 years out of the right Mac hardware. One of the reasons I've never considered the AIRs, even if they are desirable, is that the meet almost none of these parameters. AIRs are of course fine if you can accept disposable hardware, but I'm not willing to do that with a Mac.

Quote:

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

That does seem like a long ways away. If the rumors about a mid June WWDC are true then that would be a significant delay in getting out the new iMacs.

Quote:

Interesting, but why not? For one thing chipset technology has changed dramatically, both AMD and NVidia should be shipping their latest and greatest GPUs by then. These being the chips built on the low power processes. On an iMac, IB performance might be ho hum but other tech like USB 3 should come along for the ride.

The potential is there.

Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon.

Well let's hope so, as optimistic as I am, I still realize that Apple has blown it more than a few times.
  • Reply 155 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not true. Using the scheme begin proposed (essentially stackable boxes) offers a great deal of flexibility, as well.

Maybe you missed what I was saying but the point I was after was that Apple could have a much faster machine than the current Mac Pros in a smaller box. If they went with the new Suoer chip Intel just revealed, the one with built in Infiniband, the need for big boxes evaporate.

Quote:

Lets's say that you're CPU-limited. Simply add a box with a couple of CPUs. Or maybe a box with a couple of GPUs. Or maybe you're limited by the number of ports.

Yes I realize that and in a perfect world we would have software to take advantage of such platforms. However the reality is that we don't and frankly for many users never will have such software.

Quote:

Add a box with a couple of Ethernet or Thunderbolt or USB ports. Or a box with one or more hard drives.

There is little chance of success building a box that requires add ons for people to get the basic capabilities they expect.

Quote:

Or a box with an optical drive. And when it's time to upgrade, you can keep the storage box and simply replace the CPU box. Thunderbolt would make all of that possible.

TB has its value, but I don't tink it has much of a play as a cluster inter connect.

Quote:

Now, I don't really see it happening - it adds a layer of complexity in the purchasing decision that goes against the grain of what Apple has been doing for a decade. But it is an interesting concept. In particular, I could see an interesting niche market for small business or departmental servers.

Well for one Apple has pretty much given up on servers.

The bigger issue is Apples customers, I doubt the will accept a box that requires the purchase of another box just to get USB ports. Now don't take that as my being against smaller boxes for Pro usage, remember I'm a constant XMac advocate. What I'm saying is that a small box must present a rational Value equation. That is it must offer a feature mixe that appeals to a broad array of users.

After that base machine is available one can the configure later for various Pro needs. Here is where TB can come into play as a disk array would be a highly desired feature. That is an extended capability though, I suspect most Apple customers would be put off buying a box that doesn't have basic features. Further weakling demand for the Mini likely highlights and reinforces these thoughts. Especially in today's world where the economy doesn't allow for disposable purchases.

In a way I think we are in agreement in the large but disagree on the details.