Intel sinks 'hundreds of millions' of dollars into Ultrabook ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Its really easy to understand. Ultrabook is a category type powered by Intel. Intel wants to dominate this category before amd can release a suitable chip to compete

The threat isn't from AMD but from ARM.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mightymike View Post

What part of "Post-PC" does Intel not understand. They're leading a dead army into a losing war. There is no Wintel market for MBA look-a-likes. it's simply an MBA market in a post PC world. Intel can't turn back time no matter how Ultra hard it tries!

MBA and Ultrabook are all powered by INTEL

Next will be Intel powered phones and tablets
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No metal chassis.

No unibody construction.

$3000 for a 10" notebook.

Low quality display for its time.

Couldn't run the OS well.

Has worse battery life than MBA.

So where exactly was Apple inspired by Sony?

Design. Sony was limited by the tech available at that time. The TZ came a year before the air was release in 2007

http://www.techgadgets.in/laptop/200...ook-released/#.

Had SSD, optical drives and was smaller than the air and weight .

The first macbook air sucked bad

Couldnt run the OS well.

As fast as a netbook powered by an atom cpu

over heating issues

1 usb slot

no optical drive
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:

The threat isn't from AMD but from ARM.

HAHA Intel doesnt feel threaten by ARM. Its stock is in a 10 year high and with its entrance to the phone market arm will be like amd in the desktop market.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:

Design. Sony was limited by the tech available at that time. The TZ came a year before the air was release in 2007

http://www.techgadgets.in/laptop/200...ook-released/#.

The first macbook air sucked bad

So Sony was limited byt the tech available at the time... but Apple wasn't. Apple's tuff just sucks¡

Quote:

Had SSD, optical drives and was smaller than the air and weight .

A much smaller, plastic machine is lighter than a much larger, metal one? No fucking way¡

Quote:

Couldnt run the OS well.

Ran it fine. Runs it better now. The next release will be faster.

[QUOTE]Bullshit! C2D has considerably higher performance than Atom. That's why Apple choose a $350 CPU over a $30 CPU.

Quote:

no optical drive

You mean that lack of an ODD that is still part of the MBA line and creeping into all PC releases.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Quote:

HAHA Intel doesnt feel threaten by ARM. Its stock is in a 10 year high and with its entrance to the phone market arm will be like amd in the desktop market.

That's an asinine comment on so many levels. I guess you could say that Apple doesn't feel threatened by Amazon's eBook store because Apple's "stock" is so much higher.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or maybe just another of the mindless "attack Apple in any way you can even if you have to make things up" trolls that seem to frequent this place.

Mindless attack? Not once did I attack Apple. It just seems people think to think that Intel just "handed off" the chipset to Apple, which is simply not true.

Sure, on the internet anyone can claim to be anyone. I do not work for Apple nor Intel, but I can say that I've worked directly with the Intel team that submitted the mechanical wireframes for the MBA. Just because this kind of information hasn't been published on some rumor site, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. In other words, not everything has a source to quote from. So just take my comments with a grain of salt.

I've been a long time follower of this site. No, I don't post on a daily basis, but that does not make me a troll.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    [QUOTE=SolipsismX;2090323]So Sony was limited byt the tech available at the time... but Apple wasn't. Apple's tuff just sucks¡

A much smaller, plastic machine is lighter than a much larger, metal one? No fucking way¡

Ran it fine. Runs it better now. The next release will be faster.

Quote:

Bullshit! C2D has considerably higher performance than Atom. That's why Apple choose a $350 CPU over a $30 CPU.

You mean that lack of an ODD that is still part of the MBA line and creeping into all PC releases.

2007 TZ was made of carbon fiber which is lighter and stronger than aluminum.

I used the first macbook air. SUCKED Balls. OSx ran slow. 13" macbook was a far better deal.

Ultrabooks is one market of many for laptops. I use apple products but I buy products that suits my needs and having things on DVD is what I need.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    Quote:

That's an asinine comment on so many levels. I guess you could say that Apple doesn't feel threatened by Amazon's eBook store because Apple's "stock" is so much higher.

HAHA
  • Reply 70 of 99
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supabooma View Post

In reality, Intel and Apple collaborated very closely on the original MBA design. Apple may have lead the aesthetics of the MBA, but it was actually Intel that designed the component architecture. Source: I work in this industry.

The original MacBook Air maybe. Not the current. So your comment is misleading.

J.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

HAHA

Put down the Skittles and step back from the keyboard.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    Quote:

Keep believing that. They won't know what hit them.

ARM and PowerVR are a formidable opponent for Intel.

J.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

The original MacBook Air maybe. Not the current. So your comment is misleading.

J.

I did specifically say the original MBA, so not sure how it's misleading.. but yes, original, not current.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supabooma View Post

I did specifically say the original MBA, so not sure how it's misleading.. but yes, original, not current.

Your right, you did state that it was the original MBA.

The point is that the current MBA is very differnt from the original, so, I should have said that your statement is irrelevant instead of misleading.

J.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Keep believing that. They won't know what hit them.

ARM and PowerVR are a formidable opponent for Intel.

J.

Intel is also using powerVR for its first generation phones (single core 2012) and also in its next generation (dual core 2013). By the third generation (late 2013 to early 2014) you will see them use their own integrated graphics. 2014 is when Intel start to dominate. Their current single core beats all dual cores except for the S4 and in some test against the tegra 3

Intel designs and fabricates their on IC while ARM only designs and relies on others to produce. Qualcomm is more of an intel competitor than arm and PowerVR.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I don't understand the branding strategy behind this. Why would Intel claim the rights to the name Ultrabook, when actually they just make the chips and boards that goes into the Ultrabooks that are manufactured by PC vendors. In the end, consumers still aren't going to call them Intel Ultrabooks, instead they'll still refer to the vendor's brand.

IMO, Intel is pushing this not so much for consumers to think of Intel as much as pushing a product category that can compete with tablets. I think Intel fears that most sales in the consumer market are going to be thin, light laptops like the Air or tablets like the iPad. Due to that, Intel has to inject some money and excitement for the other OEMs to offer these ultrabooks (hopefully at lower prices) so that consumers continue to purchase kit that has Intel chips in them and not ARM.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

IMO, Intel is pushing this not so much for consumers to think of Intel as much as pushing a product category that can compete with tablets. I think Intel fears that most sales in the consumer market are going to be thin, light laptops like the Air or tablets like the iPad. Due to that, Intel has to inject some money and excitement for the other OEMs to offer these ultrabooks (hopefully at lower prices) so that consumers continue to purchase kit that has Intel chips in them and not ARM.

Except that Intel already provides the chips for a thin, light laptop like the Air-- the Air itself.

Now I can see them trying to goose PC sales by encouraging manufacturers to adopt form factors that Intel figures might generate some excitement, since the manufacturers themselves seem amazingly immune to this concept. And clearly the Air has some buzz, so even though it mean transferring technology form one customer to another and offering a discount, which strikes me as kind of sketchy, I can certainly see their motivation.

What I don't quite get is going out their way to claim that such machines will beat Apple at their own game and surpass the Air. What is the point of that? Every Air sold is a win for Intel, getting people to by a PC instead of an Air is a net zero for Intel.

Clearly it's the iPad that has them spooked, so maybe they figure that they can just lump the Air in the with the iPad and try to ween people off Apple altogether. Or maybe they know Apple plans an ARM Air at some point, and this is preemptive on their part.

But if it's not, and as I've said, they better be pretty damn confident that they have the correct solution for low power devices going forward, because if they don't, they've just declared that they're no longer interested in doing business with the biggest CE company in the world.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except that Intel already provides the chips for a thin, light laptop like the Air-- the Air itself.

Now I can see them trying to goose PC sales by encouraging manufacturers to adopt form factors that Intel figures might generate some excitement, since the manufacturers themselves seem amazingly immune to this concept. And clearly the Air has some buzz, so even though it mean transferring technology form one customer to another and offering a discount, which strikes me as kind of sketchy, I can certainly see their motivation.

What I don't quite get is going out their way to claim that such machines will beat Apple at their own game and surpass the Air. What is the point of that? Every Air sold is a win for Intel, getting people to by a PC instead of an Air is a net zero for Intel.

Clearly it's the iPad that has them spooked, so maybe they figure that they can just lump the Air in the with the iPad and try to ween people off Apple altogether. Or maybe they know Apple plans an ARM Air at some point, and this is preemptive on their part.

But if it's not, and as I've said, they better be pretty damn confident that they have the correct solution for low power devices going forward, because if they don't, they've just declared that they're no longer interested in doing business with the biggest CE company in the world.

Two things to consider:

1) Apple is outpacing the other OEMs while the sales growth for computers is declining YoY. That's great, but I'm pretty sure Intel doesn't want to rely on Apple solely for growth. Intel is banking on taking a popular design and handing it over to the other OEMs using windows to ramp up overall computer sales.

2) The iPad isn't the only ARM worry Intel has. Windows will be releasing an ARM version of Windows 8 this year.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Two things to consider:

1) Apple is outpacing the other OEMs while the sales growth for computers is declining YoY. That's great, but I'm pretty sure Intel doesn't want to rely on Apple solely for growth. Intel is banking on taking a popular design and handing it over to the other OEMs using windows to ramp up overall computer sales.

But again, why go out of your way to make it an Air vs. Ultrabook thing? In effect they're saying "Don't buy this machine with our chips in it, buy these ones over here!"

I would think that growing Air sales plus increased Ultrabook sales would be what Intel wanted. Unless they know something we don't, talking this way just makes them seem pointlessly dickish.

Quote:

2) The iPad isn't the only ARM worry Intel has. Windows will be releasing an ARM version of Windows 8 this year.

Yeah, tablets are going to be a problem.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But again, why go out of your way to make it an Air vs. Ultrabook thing? In effect they're saying "Don't buy this machine with our chips in it, buy these ones over here!"

I would think that growing Air sales plus increased Ultrabook sales would be what Intel wanted. Unless they know something we don't, talking this way just makes them seem pointlessly dickish.

Lesser of two evils. Apple is a drop in the bucket compared to all the PC OEMs combined. Apple is an important drop but losing the bulk of their consumer market because they failed to get customers interested in higher quality notebooks is worse. Next year I expect to see budget Cortex-A15-based PCs that will run Win8 plenty fast and be more profitable for the PC vendors.