Wikipedia joins Apple in migrating from Google Maps to OpenStreetMaps

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,866member
    Quote:



    Two more of that.









    It's an interesting design, sure, but I'm not sure I see the "Apple" in it. An Apple-designed vehicle would need two things:



    1. It would have to revolutionize something. Something about what previous vehicles had done.

    2. It would have to exude sex. Just be absolutely frigging gorgeous. And I'm not necessarily talking lines, I'm saying you look at the thing and are smitten.



    Here's an interesting example. Not a very revolutionary design, but its external elements are invisible when not in use. JUST like Apple's various lights and sensors and such.







    And here's an example of design (sex?) via curves. Obviously beauty is subjective, but the design looks at least a little revolutionary.





  • Reply 22 of 41
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,368member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    And here's an example of design (sex?) via curves. Obviously beauty is subjective, but the design looks at least a little revolutionary.



    Reminds me of the BMW prototype that was covered in a morphable fabric.



    http://www.carsx.net/bmw-gina-light/
  • Reply 23 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,148member
    Both the BMW and that black swoopy thing?vicious, evil, sinister, screamingly ugly. Surprised you guys are searing our eyeballs with those messes of rancid testosterone.



    The little Ford thing is humane. But the front is goofy.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    i just want Siri to control the music, phone, climate control and nav in my car. now wouldn't that be great? Siri telling me that there's a traffic jam ahead and giving me the fastest detour around, factoring in live traffic and inclement weather.



    If Siri could do that, Hal would be very proud.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    I think I want an Apple Car!



    Yes, but where do they put the 30-pin connector?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


    The Nokia 3D Maps solution is licensed from Apple (formerly C3 Technologies).



    http://maps.nokia.com/34.7536264,-92...341,72,3d.day#



    As you can see, a street level view is provided as well. The data is far more detailed than Google Maps.



    Thanks for that. I've just been clicking around the 3d images of London. Really jaw dropping stuff and the detail is amazing...
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Openstreetmap is plain ugly. Not sure why everyone is making the shift. Google maps are far more functional and free.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    This is a good opportunity for other players to start offering map services.



    More competition means better map services.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    but sometimes they do make great technology and Apple should use it until a better alternative comes available.



    Now there's a reasonable perspective. So much better than the Google-is-all-evil crap, which is simply uninformed bias.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    It's an interesting design, sure, but I'm not sure I see the "Apple" in it. An Apple-designed vehicle would need two things:



    1. It would have to revolutionize something. Something about what previous vehicles had done.

    2. It would have to exude sex. Just be absolutely frigging gorgeous. And I'm not necessarily talking lines, I'm saying you look at the thing and are smitten.




    And it would be a rounded rectangle, charged with a 30-pin connector
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    but sometimes they do make great technology and Apple should use it until a better alternative comes available.



    Nope. Apple should use it until an EQUIVALENT alternative becomes available. There are enough disadvantages to working with Google that it would be worth switching even if the alternative is no better.



    In fact, even if the alternative falls short in some areas, it could be worth switching - as long as the deficiencies are not significant.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,154member
    The way Apple reskinned the map for iOS iPhoto is strange. Low contrast and "nostalgic design" makes it very hard to distinguish.

    The clean OpenStreetMap isn't that bad. It's pretty clear. They just need to fine tune the contrasts and make water.. eh.. blue (!) instead of mooshymooshy green.. (!?)

    A map needs hard contrast to be readable in my opinion.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,866member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post


    Openstreetmap is plain ugly. Not sure why everyone is making the shift.



    Because it'll be better once the images go vector.



    Quote:

    Google maps are far more functional and free.



    No, they're not. To both, but primarily the latter.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    With all the cash that Apple has, why didn't they just purchase TomTom and call it a day? It's already a great app on iOS and once Apple got their hands on it, it would only get better.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,866member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post


    With all the cash that Apple has, why didn't they just purchase TomTom and call it a day? It's already a great app on iOS and once Apple got their hands on it, it would only get better.



    Gosh dang it, WHY DO WE STILL NOT HAVE AUTOMATIC TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS IN IOS?!



    There's just NO excuse at this point. We have Siri, with whom we can converse mid-route if we want to change where we're going. Siri, who would read us our directions and be able to tell us, "hey, there's an accident on the route I originally specified; I'm just going to reroute you around it, 'kay?"



    Apple. Three mapping companies. Spoken turn-by-turn. iOS 6. Make it happen.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I believe the common assumption is that iOS6 will bring feature parity with Android. If it doesn't, I'm pretty sure there's going to be hell to pay, not to mention defections.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Gosh dang it, WHY DO WE STILL NOT HAVE AUTOMATIC TURN BY TURN DIRECTIONS IN IOS?!



    There's just NO excuse at this point. We have Siri, with whom we can converse mid-route if we want to change where we're going. Siri, who would read us our directions and be able to tell us, "hey, there's an accident on the route I originally specified; I'm just going to reroute you around it, 'kay?"



    Apple. Three mapping companies. Spoken turn-by-turn. iOS 6. Make it happen.



  • Reply 37 of 41
    Why hasn't Apple added GPS functionality to the iPad?

    I am surprised no one seems to be talking about how awesome it would be if you could have a GPS sensor in the iPad, and a maps program that did not rely on a data connection, but could instead be loaded on to the iPad for when you are out in the forest/desert/ranch/etc. The ipad would be the best GPS device around
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,866member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post


    I believe the common assumption is that iOS6 will bring feature parity with Android. If it doesn't, I'm pretty sure there's going to be hell to pay, not to mention defections.



    Oh, there won't be. Defections, that is.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farjamed View Post


    Why hasn't Apple added GPS functionality to the iPad?



    They have.



    Quote:

    ?a maps program that did not rely on a data connection?



    That's gigabytes of data. I don't see it happening.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post








    First thing that came to my mind:

    Batmobile
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    That's gigabytes of data. I don't see it happening.



    I have a satnav app for my iPhone that preloads all the map data onto my device. It can navigate me even when I loose all signal. Granted, its only for the UK but its working and working well, and only around 400mb to boot.



    A worldwide dataset I can't see happening, though. At least not yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.