Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android

Comments

• Reply 241 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I gave a lot of legitimate reasons why I dumped my iPhone but being unique is also a big motivator for a lot of people. So what if I got tired of using the same phone OS for last three years. Features have been added but the look hasn't and it's well, it's boring. I'm not the only one either who thinks so, I've personally converted over 12 other women who were iPhone users to a Galaxy Note and all of them say the same thing, I wish I had this phone sooner.

1) Having several rational reasons doesn't make your irrational reasons rational.

2) You are converting women from the iPhone? This is you mission in life? Are you getting them to install untested and incomplete builds of ICS, too? Personally,

3) Converting woman from the iPhone to the Galaxy Note is akin to Rihanna setting her freinds up with Chris Brown. #Joke
  • Reply 242 of 291
    iynqueiynque Posts: 1member
    "Isaacson said he felt that Android had ripped off many of his ideas found in the iPhone and Pad, and that his ire was very eal, according to Macworld."

I wasn't aware Isaacson had anything to do with creating iOS.
  • Reply 243 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iynque View Post

"Isaacson said he felt that Android had ripped off many of his ideas found in the iPhone and Pad, and that his ire was very eal, according to Macworld."

I wasn't aware Isaacson had anything to do with creating iOS.

"His" is referring to Steve Jobs, not Isaacson.
  • Reply 244 of 291
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I gave a lot of legitimate reasons why I dumped my iPhone but being unique is also a big motivator for a lot of people. So what if I got tired of using the same phone OS for last three years. Features have been added but the look hasn't and it's well, it's boring. I'm not the only one either who thinks so, I've personally converted over 12 other women who were iPhone users to a Galaxy Note and all of them say the same thing, I wish I had this phone sooner.

Frankly I'd rather have something that works and might be considered boring by someone who needs to find excitement in everything, than have something that constantly changes in unexpected exciting ways, but generally doesn't just keep working quietly.

And please don't go BS-ing us. Converting 12 of anyone in the short time the Note has actually been available is so highly unlikely in the world of 2 year contracts as to be nothing other than an empty lie.

If you really were that good you would be in a different business and not have time for us as you would be too successful off making real $$.
  • Reply 245 of 291
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Frankly I'd rather have something that works and might be considered boring by someone who needs to find excitement in everything, than have something that constantly changes in unexpected exciting ways, but generally doesn't just keep working quietly.

And please don't go BS-ing us. Converting 12 of anyone in the short time the Note has actually been available is so highly unlikely in the world of 2 year contracts as to be nothing other than an empty lie.

If you really were that good you would be in a different business and not have time for us as you would be too successful off making real $$.

Too small for a tablet, too big for a phone - Galaxy Note avoid one today.
  • Reply 246 of 291
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too small for a tablet, too big for a phone - Galaxy Note avoid one today.

In the 4-5 weeks they've been available in the US around 3M have been sold (yes sold not shipped) with 5 million total so far. Why won't people simply listen to you and save the heartache.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/28/29...h-in-japan-lte
  • Reply 247 of 291
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In the 4-5 weeks they've been available in the US around 3M have been sold (yes sold not shipped) with 5 million total so far. Why won't people simply listen to you and save the heartache. ...

Because there are always people willing to whore themselves out for money and say that things they know to be shit are great. Unfortunately, as well, some people will always listen to them.
  • Reply 248 of 291
    Quote:

In the 4-5 weeks they've been available in the US around 3M have been sold (yes sold not shipped) with 5 million total so far. Why won't people simply listen to you and save the heartache.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/28/29...h-in-japan-lte

iPhone sales higher than all other smartphones combined

5 weeks and what Apple sells in a couple days?

Note started at $300 on contract, 5 weeks in you can already find some on smaller operators advertising for $199. Price slides that hard aren't indicators of sustainable success. Got any other underwhelming stats?
  • Reply 249 of 291
    Quote:

iPhone sales higher than all other smartphones combined

5 weeks and what Apple sells in a couple days?

Note started at $300 on contract, 5 weeks in you can already find some on smaller operators advertising for $199. Price slides that hard aren't indicators of sustainable success. Got any other underwhelming stats?

Nope. Everything pales compared to the iPhone.
  • Reply 250 of 291
    Quote:

Nope. Everything pales compared to the iPhone.

Glad you finally see the light.
  • Reply 251 of 291
    like anyone actually believes that...
  • Reply 252 of 291
    Quote:

like anyone actually believes that...

Why wouldn't they? Do you have an example of a smartphone or tablet release that doesn't pale in comparison? I can't think of one.
  • Reply 253 of 291
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Because of confirmation bias.

Pot, kettle

This is fun.

Wheeee!
  • Reply 254 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Android does not take code from iOS.

Nope, just Sun...
  • Reply 255 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Apple's entire original OS was "inspired" by Xerox's UI- everyone knows that. But you don't see Xerox suing Apple today.

Probably because Apple paid them to get access to it? Always funny how the perpetuators of the "Apple stole from Xerox" crap always leave that out.

In the Jobs biography, we learn from others (not Jobs) that Jobs even berated Xerox management for being "stupid" for not utilizing the technology they had.

Yup, sounds like "stealing"

Quote:

The "widget" interface, though used by Apple, is pretty much everywhere now - even without Google.

And here you fall down the techie geek trap - it's not one feature or even a few features - that make Apple products successful. It's the ENTIRE PACKAGE. So as soon as you start nit picking over one or two items, you have already lost...

Quote:

And REALLY now, would you REALLY want Steve to spend all $45B of (then) Apple's war chest on going after Google? As successful as Steve was, the board would fire him (AGAIN) over that.

I don't know - Apple's position with their legal action against Android manufacturers hasn't changed - if anything as they get new patents they are amending their claims with them.

Yup, a total reversal from when Steve was still alive

Quote:

Tim's management is beginning to impress me personally - he is addressing issues Steve largely ignored (dividends, worker conditions, cop orate dividends).

Which could have been underway or planned from a long time ago. Or it could be all Tim Cook - either way it really doesn't matter except for some ridiculous scoreboard many seem intent on keeping.

Quote:

Steve was a great product visionary, but I have a feeling, Cook is a better managing CEO.

Tim was CEO for most of the last five years with Steve around. But really, titles are pretty stupid and meaningless - much like the argument over PC, Post PC and other pedantic semantical BS that über geeks get off on. Here's all that matters - Steve, Tim, Phil, Jonathan and the rest of the senior executives are a team. They play off of each others strengths. And Steve positioned them and infused him with his DNA so that Apple is no longer just about him, but it's own thing that can (and is) living on beyond him. He was often quoted before the end of saying the thing he was most proud of was Apple itself.

So arguing over nit-picky crap like who's the better CEO is really irrelevant. Carry on if it satisfies that geeky little part of you that just have to have everything in a neatly labeled box. Whether or not you realize or want to admit it, it doesn't matter one bit in the least.
  • Reply 256 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

There's no point in arguing with fools.

Then why quote them? Ugh - if the ignore list only blocked their lame asses being quoted too....
  • Reply 257 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

As far as how people view your brand... Apple could be viewed as an aggressor by defending its ip so aggressively and then, if Apple was to lose, then Apple could be viewed as a loser.

And from what perspective is all this "viewing"? Apple haters that would never buy an Apple device in the first place?

Ooh - I'll bet Apple is quaking in their boots.

Let's leave the land of fantasy and enter reality. If Apple wishes to keep their IP, they have to defend it. They also have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to defend their IP. All your other touchy-feely crap is just that - crap.

Quote:

[Apple should have, imo, just sat down at the table with the Android crew and worked out a deal... by not doing that then you get what we have today... courtroom battles galore.

Er, Schmidt was on the Apple board and Jobs and Schmidt were even saw talking in public. Nice for you to assume Apple is shooting first and asking question later

Quote:

Of course the Android vendors are going to fight like hell against Apple... as you said, lawyers are cheap in comparison. Make a deal then most likely you avoid the fight to the death.

You could always say it's far cheaper to steal than develop your own IP. Especially when your competitor is probably a good decade ahead of you and you have no hope of naturally catching up. Gambling with the lawyers for that last hail-mary isn't that much of a stretch when your facing complete irrelevancy in the largest opportunity since the original personal computer.

Quote:

When I look at all of these court cases I don't see a big win anywhere for Apple.

That's because you don't see any value in what Apple brought to the table. Color me shocked!

Quote:

Had Apple made Android license the ip in the first place... that, to me, would have been a big win.

For Android manufacturers! Why figure hard stuff out when you can either just steal it or bully someone into licensing it to you.

What a grim and uninspired world yours would be...

Quote:

As I said before... I didn't say that Apple should open up its labs, but I do think that Apple has to do better at picking its battles.

And I think I'm glad that you are no where in the decision tree for Apple strategy and that Apple is doing just fine picking their battles.

The reason you see all the posturing is because this is literally the fight for the largest new market since the personal computer - one that will be even bigger!
  • Reply 258 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Wow. How does Apple attract so many of this type of person?

You think evangelists are unique to Apple? Hahaha!

Quote:

P.S. Is Apple also the truth and the light?

No, but they do design awesome products that techies seem to take glee in disparaging in irrational and emotional ways.

It might having something to do with the fact that normal people can use them to do simple and advanced things without having to pray at the alter of high geekiness. The fulfillment of that whole "Computer for the Rest of Us" that was routinely mocked by the same crowd in the 90's.

Animals often get extremely aggressive when backed into a corner - hence the tech press and blogosphere reaction to Apple's success. Fear of irrelevancy...
  • Reply 259 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

When you tell a blatant lie like you did above, and you act smug about it, you really just embarrass yourself.

The sad thing is, I think you lack the self awareness sufficient to be embarrassed about it.

The problem is there aren't that many people who are informed to challenge idiots like this guy combined with either his own ignorance or denial being so strong that he probably actually believes the tripe he's peddling.

Or he's getting his jollies or being paid to troll. Ya just gotta love anonymous posters on the Internet!
  • Reply 260 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I've been to religious forums. I've been to political forums.

And I've never seen any forum like this one. Apple fans are ardent.

Then you don't get out much. Even this thread is TAME. Want to see some real frothing religious zealots? Go check out the DailyKOS. What's hilarious is they think they are normal!