Judicial Activism - It exists!

2»

Comments

• northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,459member
    If Republicans can't see how far they've twisted themselves around on judges, then their vision truly is typhlotic. Or worse, they're engaging in some of the worst intellectual dishonesty since they're taunts that not funding the troops enables the enemy.
  • northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,459member
    George Bush had every right to criticize the bench. So did Reagan. And so does Obama.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

George Bush had every right to criticize the bench. So did Reagan. And so does Obama.

Of course he does. He also has every right to say ignorant things like:

Quote:

Ultimately, I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.

Of course I've come to expect nothing less from such a "brilliant" constitutional law professor.
  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,255member
    Quote:

If Republicans can't see how far they've twisted themselves around on judges, then their vision truly is typhlotic. Or worse, they're engaging in some of the worst intellectual dishonesty since they're taunts that not funding the troops enables the enemy.

Not funding the troops AFTER YOU'VE VOTED TO PLACE THEM IN HARMS WAY, does enable the enemy. If you want to make a point you make it when they are safe at home or before you've sent them there. After you've sent them there, you let them do the job you voted on. You don't play politics with their lives. Certainly you can see that unless you are engaging in some intellectual dishonesty yourself. Clinton, Kerry, Biden and other Democrats voted to send them to Iraq. Once they were there, they wanted to play politics with armor and Humvees.

Quote:

This goes well beyond criticizing the bench and no one ever claimed Obama does not have the right to say what he has said. The point is that liberals like yourself have said that judicial activism doesn't exist. They have claimed it is a made up conservative meme to try to confuse people about judges making normal case law.

It can't be a made up conservative meme and also something Obama complains about. If he is complaining about it, then it must be a real concept. If I complain about unicorns chasing the leprechauns off my lawn, you can say I'm delusional. When you complain about unicorns chasing the leprechauns off your lawn, you can't point a finger at others and declare they are just making shit up.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Not funding the troops AFTER YOU'VE VOTED TO PLACE THEM IN HARMS WAY, does enable the enemy. If you want to make a point you make it when they are safe at home or before you've sent them there. After you've sent them there, you let them do the job you voted on. You don't play politics with their lives. Certainly you can see that unless you are engaging in some intellectual dishonesty yourself. Clinton, Kerry, Biden and other Democrats voted to send them to Iraq. Once they were there, they wanted to play politics with armor and Humvees.

I'd add to that calling the CIC a "loser" and saying "the war is lost" with boots on the ground qualifies as enabling the enemy.

Quote:

This goes well beyond criticizing the bench and no one ever claimed Obama does not have the right to say what he has said.

I guess he has a right, but it's certainly unprecedented to call out the USSC like he has...twice.

Quote:

The point is that liberals like yourself have said that judicial activism doesn't exist. They have claimed it is a made up conservative meme to try to confuse people about judges making normal case law.

It can't be a made up conservative meme and also something Obama complains about. If he is complaining about it, then it must be a real concept. If I complain about unicorns chasing the leprechauns off my lawn, you can say I'm delusional. When you complain about unicorns chasing the leprechauns off your lawn, you can't point a finger at others and declare they are just making shit up.

Agreed. Honestly though, it's all bullshit. Obama knows what judicial activism is, just as he knows what Marbury v. Madison is. It's about nothing but politics and reelection. He's counting on flat out ignorance....ignorance of young people, blacks, the uneducated and even the merely stupid to buy into his line about this action being "unprecedented." He doesn't care what law professors and commentators and educated voters think (even liberal ones who have criticized him on his statement). He's going to lose, and when he does...he'll run against Five Unelected Republican Lawyers™ and Mitt MoneyBags Romney®