Chevy Volt: The Car from Atlas Shrugged aka perspective for regulation folks

1234689

Comments

  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


    Nothing pisses off Republicans more than the American auto worker, that's for sure. They hate the American auto worker's union so much that they're willing to attack America, her citizens, and our reputation in order to hurt it.



    Pretty amazing, really.



    There is a distinction between the union and worker. That's what you don't understand,
  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    There is a distinction between the union and worker. That's what you don't understand,



    He understands it perfectly. His petty politics won't allow him to stop hurling hateful charges. This is doubly true when all the Obama programs and plans have largely failed and pretty much name calling, bullying and accusations are all that the political left has remaining in the bag of ideas.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


    He understands it perfectly. His petty politics won't allow him to stop hurling hateful charges. This is doubly true when all the Obama programs and plans have largely failed and pretty much name calling, bullying and accusations are all that the political left has remaining in the bag of ideas.



    Of course, there is always flat out lying and denial.
  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Battery-powered autos proving to be a tough sell



    Quote:

    Electric vehicle sales have been slow out of the box, despite marketing hype, government incentives and the hopes of green car advocates.



    Total sales last year were 17,425, which is less than 0.1 percent of the U.S. car and light truck market.



    Nonetheless, automakers show no signs of pulling back their multibillion-dollar bets: They need electric cars to meet tough new fuel-efficiency standards. About a dozen new plug-ins and fully electric cars will go on sale in the next year.



    Auto executives point optimistically to March, when electric cars had their best-ever sales month: Nearly 4,000 vehicles sold in the United States. Still, three in every 1,000 cars drove off dealer lots under battery power.



    News in recent months has done little to reassure skeptical buyers: General Motors Co. slowed production of its plug-in Chevrolet Volt. Two crash-test Volts caught fire; a government investigation ultimately found no safety problems. Politicians ridiculed electric cars and called for an end to government assistance. Battery companies and suppliers laid off hundreds of employees, while several electric vehicle startups went out of business or struggle to survive.



    Even with gas prices flirting near $4 a gallon nationwide, most consumers remain reluctant. Plug-ins or fully electric cars cost $8,000 to $20,000 more than comparable gasoline versions, and it can take years or decades to recoup the higher initial cost.



    Drivers worry about limited driving range in fully electric cars. Even some executives admit doubt.



    "Right now, from a cost standpoint and a performance standpoint — range for customers — I don't think EVs are ready for primetime," said Toyota Motor USA Sales CEO Jim Lentz.



    Click link above for full article.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post



    Battery-powered autos proving to be a tough sell

    Click link above for full article.


     


    As if we should have expected any other outcome.  "If it moves, tax it.  If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it."   The fact is the technology and market are just not ready.  We won't get there until cost and performance is on par with gasoline powered vehicles.  Really, that's what's amazing to me...this 125 year old technology is still the basically the most efficient, powerful and realistic one for autos.  

  • floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post



    I see nothing's changed in the years I've been gone. Trumptman's unbridled hatred for the electric vehicle still rages strong I see.


     


    I don't think anyone hates the electric car. I mean ... who doesn't like 100% torque at 0 RPM? It may bring to the cager class what us crotch rocket riders have been enjoying for decades. But ... you know ... how much do you want the government to command the market? Very little for me please.

  • brbr Posts: 8,253member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


     


     


    As if we should have expected any other outcome.  "If it moves, tax it.  If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it."   The fact is the technology and market are just not ready.  We won't get there until cost and performance is on par with gasoline powered vehicles.  Really, that's what's amazing to me...this 125 year old technology is still the basically the most efficient, powerful and realistic one for autos.  



     


    And **** the environment and the legacy we leave our children.

  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BR View Post


     


     


    And **** the environment and the legacy we leave our children.



     


    Yes, because that's absolutely what I meant.  


     


    You suffer from the same delusion the President does....that you can FORCE the market to bend to your will.  You will simply FORCE people to buy the products you want.  Why?  Because you know what's right.  


     


    Now go to your room and the let the grown-ups talk.  


     


     

  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Why do you hate clean air and trees, SDW???
  • brbr Posts: 8,253member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


     


     


    Yes, because that's absolutely what I meant. 


     


    You suffer from the same delusion the President does....that you can FORCE the market to bend to your will.  You will simply FORCE people to buy the products you want.  Why?  Because you know what's right.  


     


    Now go to your room and the let the grown-ups talk.  


     


     



    You're a laugh riot with no vision or ambition for our country.


     

  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,254member
    floorjack wrote: »

    I don't think anyone hates the electric car. I mean ... who doesn't like 100% torque at 0 RPM? It may bring to the cager class what us crotch rocket riders have been enjoying for decades. But ... you know ... how much do you want the government to command the market? Very little for me please.

    It doesn't really matter. His point isn't a serious one and it is clear from it he isn't serious about a discussion or dialog. Rather his "Maher/Stewart"-ish mocking allows him to turn off his brain and merely assert what he wants without any critical thinking.
    br wrote: »


    And **** the environment and the legacy we leave our children.

    See another example right here. This is not someone who wants a serious discussion. This is someone who screams rape or witch so the thinking stops.
    sdw2001 wrote: »


    Yes, because that's absolutely what I meant.  

    You suffer from the same delusion the President does....that you can FORCE the market to bend to your will.  You will simply FORCE people to buy the products you want.  Why?  Because you know what's right.  

    Now go to your room and the let the grown-ups talk.  

    You get it!
    br wrote: »

    You're a laugh riot with no vision or ambition for our country.

    You're a sad, bitter little man who obviously hits at and hates that which you cannot comprehend or defend intellectually.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post



    Why do you hate clean air and trees, SDW???


     


     


    imageimageimageimage


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BR View Post


     


    You're a laugh riot with no vision or ambition for our country.


     



     


    Yeah, that's me.  I mean, it's not like I've consistently laid out a short, medium and long term energy strategy for this country...one with the goal of eliminating our dependance on fossil fuels almost entirely.  </sarcasm> 


     


     


     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post





    It doesn't really matter. His point isn't a serious one and it is clear from it he isn't serious about a discussion or dialog. Rather his "Maher/Stewart"-ish mocking allows him to turn off his brain and merely assert what he wants without any critical thinking.

    See another example right here. This is not someone who wants a serious discussion. This is someone who screams rape or witch so the thinking stops.

    You get it!

    You're a sad, bitter little man who obviously hits at and hates that which you cannot comprehend or defend intellectually.


     


    I'm telling you...he's just like Obama.  He's bitter because the nation is not embracing his quasi-socialist, utopian views.  People DON'T WANT to buy these cars right now, for several reasons. Naturally, BR's reaction is to lash out at these morons and planet-haters.  


     


    This election is going to be fun. 


     


     


     


     


     


     

  • brbr Posts: 8,253member


    The fact that you think Obama is a socialist demonstrates how out of touch you are with reality.

  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,254member
    br wrote: »
    The fact that you think Obama is a socialist demonstrates how out of touch you are with reality.

    If wanted to be out of touch with reality, he'd suggest $40k+ electric cars are going to save GM and fixate on labels for people instead of actions.

    You are an increasingly sad little puppy.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BR View Post


    The fact that you think Obama is a socialist demonstrates how out of touch you are with reality.



     


    I said quasi-socialist.  Do we really need to have this debate on how he leans that direction?  Really?  

  • brbr Posts: 8,253member


    Are you kidding me?  If he's a quasi-socialist, then Nixon and Reagan were full blown communists.  I wish he were a fucking quasi-socialist.  I'd be much happier then.  He's a moderate corporatist that only looks left when comparing him to the absolute nutbaggery that exists in the Republican party now.

  • floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member


    I saw a prius yesterday with a tire that was going flat. Pretty fucking funny. Prius owners, ha!

  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BR View Post


    Are you kidding me?  If he's a quasi-socialist, then Nixon and Reagan were full blown communists.  I wish he were a fucking quasi-socialist.  I'd be much happier then.  He's a moderate corporatist that only looks left when comparing him to the absolute nutbaggery that exists in the Republican party now.



     


    He favors universal single payer healthcare, and signed a bill that is a back door to achieving it. 


     


    He favors higher taxes on the "rich" so they "pay their fair share."  


     


    He's overseen a massive expansion of social welfare, from food stamps to SS disability. 


     


    He's greatly expanded regulations on businesses small and large alike 


     


    He's used "spread the the wealth around" rhetoric and pursued policies to do so.  


     


     


    Get real, BR.  He's the most liberal President since FDR.  He's not a socialist per se, but he's closer to it than just about anyone who has been President.  I'm not even criticizing him for it, mind you.  I'm merely pointing out that's who he is.  While I disagree with him completely on many of his positions, it's really his failed leadership and results I take issue with, not to mention that fact that like many Democrats, he pretended to be a moderate when he first ran.   


     


     

  • brbr Posts: 8,253member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


     


     


    He favors universal single payer healthcare, and signed a bill that is a back door to achieving it. 


     


    He favors higher taxes on the "rich" so they "pay their fair share."  


     


    He's overseen a massive expansion of social welfare, from food stamps to SS disability. 


     


    He's greatly expanded regulations on businesses small and large alike 


     


    He's used "spread the the wealth around" rhetoric and pursued policies to do so.  


     


     


    Get real, BR.  He's the most liberal President since FDR.  He's not a socialist per se, but he's closer to it than just about anyone who has been President.  I'm not even criticizing him for it, mind you.  I'm merely pointing out that's who he is.  While I disagree with him completely on many of his positions, it's really his failed leadership and results I take issue with, not to mention that fact that like many Democrats, he pretended to be a moderate when he first ran.   


     


     



     


    Nixon:


     



    • Created the EPA


    • The Philadelphia Plan (affirmative action)


    • Clean Air Act


    • OSHA


    • Opened relations with Communist China


    • Endorsed Equal Rights Amendment


    • Set up a cooperative relationship between NASA and the USSR space programs


     


    Reagan:



    • Opened up a new cabinet level department - Veteran Affairs


    • Bailed out Social Security and increased payroll taxes; added federal workers to it AND taxed the upper-income earners on their payouts


    • Instituted a gas tax


    • Closed tax loopholes for businesses


    • Signed largest corporate tax increase in history


    • Expanded the EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit)...you know, for poor folks...wealth transfer and the like


    • Started the drawdown of nuclear weapons


    • Clamored for the rich to pay their fair share (you saw the video that started my other thread)


    • Gave amnesty to illegal immigrants


     


    Obama bailed out businesses but didn't nationalize them like he certainly could have if you claim he has such a socialist streak.  Obama didn't fight hard for a public option, but instead was party to the Republican plan of an individual mandate--a HUGE corporate giveaway to private insurance companies.  And he's the socialist?  Sounds like Obama is just attempting to follow in Reagan's footsteps (but a bit further to the right), with the Republicans blocking him at every turn.


     


     

  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,184member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BR View Post


     


     


    Nixon:


     



    • Created the EPA


    • The Philadelphia Plan (affirmative action)


    • Clean Air Act


    • OSHA


    • Opened relations with Communist China


    • Endorsed Equal Rights Amendment


    • Set up a cooperative relationship between NASA and the USSR space programs


     


    Reagan:



    • Opened up a new cabinet level department - Veteran Affairs


    • Bailed out Social Security and increased payroll taxes; added federal workers to it AND taxed the upper-income earners on their payouts


    • Instituted a gas tax


    • Closed tax loopholes for businesses


    • Signed largest corporate tax increase in history


    • Expanded the EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit)...you know, for poor folks...wealth transfer and the like


    • Started the drawdown of nuclear weapons


    • Clamored for the rich to pay their fair share (you saw the video that started my other thread)


    • Gave amnesty to illegal immigrants


     


    Obama bailed out businesses but didn't nationalize them like he certainly could have if you claim he has such a socialist streak.  Obama didn't fight hard for a public option, but instead was party to the Republican plan of an individual mandate--a HUGE corporate giveaway to private insurance companies.  And he's the socialist?  Sounds like Obama is just attempting to follow in Reagan's footsteps (but a bit further to the right), with the Republicans blocking him at every turn.


     


     



     


    You're positively, straight-up delusional. 


     


     


     

Sign In or Register to comment.