Apple's Ivy Bridge-powered iMacs rumored to debut in June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    The first Bondi iMac. It was great. I remember it fondly. I nearly bought one...but I had the Power Mac tower at the time.

The candy ones were great too. Very cheap at one point. £545 UK inc vat. That's why the current entry price p*sses me off a little. That 'affordability' of the iMac (once it's hall mark) isn't there for me.

Then the Lamp. Very radical.

The white iMacs came. (Not that long after Steve said the components shouldn't be glommed onto the back...)

I wasn't entirely sold on the white iMacs with crappy push your finger into the plastic matte screen to make a squiggle. Blurrr. So cheap. I wanted glass.

With the alu iMacs, it was a matter of time. I loved the design of them. The gpu power has just about caught up with the design. The current top end is a buy for me IF I was in the market. That 27 inch and the top end GPU with 2 gigs of Vram. Boy...*droools...

I'll have another look next year. From the leaks so far, there is little for me to get excited about re: Ivy. Hopefully the GPU will give us a nice surprise. I'm getting the evolutionary vibe when I want revolution. You know. Higher resolutions. HiDPI.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm saddened to think anti-reflective displays may be further indication the Mac Pro has been killed.

I expect the Pro to be replaced but this statement makes no sense.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The only thing I expect out of the Pro line is more options.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Anti-reflective displays are desired by many professionals, who would opt for a Mac Pro over an iMac because of third party displays (and discontinued Apple displays) with anti-reflective surfaces.

Apple has never used anti-reflective displays.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by intensifi View Post

All iMacs had matte (anti-reflective) screens until the current aluminum chassis version came on the scene a few years back

They has matte screens, not anti-reflective screens.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's crazy. They've absolutely nothing to do with one another. And I'm not even going to comment on that other half.

Oh, I could be wrong. But here is what I am right about:

"tower" case computers (yes, even for "professionals") will very soon become an old memory. And Thunderbolt has made that fact closer to reality right now than anything.

I don't believe Apple is just going to come out with a 40" television set that just has really really really cool TV software on it. They are not going to do that. And the reason they're not going to do that is because they WANT to sell a ton of them. Just some reeelly coool TV set isn't going to cut it. Nobody is going to throw out their 40" Samsung and go pay $1400 for a 40" reeelly cooool TV with an Apple badge on it. It will be a new iteration of the Mac / iOS / TV. These are going to cost them a fortune to manufacture, and even more to cargo ship. I believe this will, eventually, be the new "home living room Mac"

Anyway, we'll see soon enough.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It doesn't sound like it would be an anti-glare option though, rather just a way to cut the reflections. There's no way they would do the same as the laptops. It's fine leaving a 15" TN panel unprotected as it doesn't cost that much to replace. That's not the case for a 27" IPS panel. If they do go with anti-reflective treatment, I'd expect it will be a standard treatment of the glass like they apply to glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2w_Txj7Gg

It would be a very welcome feature to have on the iMac and resolution-independence would be great too so that you could scale up the UI. If they make the hard drive easy to replace on it, that would take away any serviceability problems.

Hopefully we'll see 4 x USB 3 ports and the removal of the optical drive. They should manage to slim it down a fair bit. I'd also like to see them move to 23-24" displays on the low-end instead of 21.5".

I m afraid Marvin they'll be only opting for their current pixel doubling strategy which would realistically mean no real ri, at least if they allowed some option for user adjustable font for the menu bar, elements in safari, mail, get info, cmd click windows etc. As for the hd I still think they'll go with the same take the screen off first to replace design, but I still have hopes there.

Much less reflective glass will be absolutely great, finally as useable imac for most of us who can't handle the now patented apple glass glare.

My major request for the imac, is better ergonomics, that is height adjustability. What is Jony Ive up to these days anyway? Shouldn't they have figured out a way to modify the by now very tired years old imac design to something that would bring back the great imac g4 ergonomics? Making the chin a bit smaller or taking the glass edge to edge are minor tweaks...
  • Reply 27 of 76
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They has matte screens, not anti-reflective screens.

To be exact matte is a type of anti-reflective tech in the sense that it tries to avoid reflections by defusing them, which brings along a "frosty" look and less clarity to text especially so if aggressive anti glare coating is used such as the ips panels apple and others have used (and much less so in pva panels).

What's funny is that apple has been lately (as in the last few years) calling matte anti glare and then sticking a glass on top of the very same portable macs with tn panels which could have easily had semi gloss (a la air) coating, making them very pro glare indeed.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    scottkrkscottkrk Posts: 25member
    Quote:

I'm saddened to think anti-reflective displays may be further indication the Mac Pro has been killed.

I think it makes sense, Apple is making sure they have MacPro users concerns covered before they EOL the whole MacPro line.

I think Apple will wait for more pro Thunderbolt peripherals to be shipping and then quietly EOL the MacPro line around October.

I use my iMac for music and the main thing I am hoping for are cheaper SSD options, so I don't have the noise, vibrations and heat of HDD
  • Reply 29 of 76
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You might as well ask a crackhead bum on the street corner about the latest Apple news, because they wouldn't be any less accurate than Digitimes.

I read your comments on the forum all the time and agree with a lot of them but I bet many people just look past what you say because you have little tact or diplomacy. I don't know how old you are and maybe that would explain it.

Unfortunately you are in dire need of social skills. I don't mean this to offend you, but for your benefit, it needs to be said.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Looking at the base model of the iMac now, I hope they definitely add an SSD option either with the HDD or by itself.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cesco View Post

Hoping "thinner" does NOT equal "optical drive gone"

Quote:

I'm hoping so.

I'm hoping they DON'T do away with the optical drive. Sure I could get an external BUT why should I have to. I believe many people are still using it for various task. I have a 6xCD player in my car. Why stop using it when I can burn iTunes music for it. I rip all movies when I buy them to my internal drive. Why should have to use an external optical drive to rip them when Macs still have them. My point is that plenty of Mac users DO still use them (many everyday). It doesn't cost Apple very much money to keep it when people do still use it. The iMac is a Desktop computer and doesn't need to be so slim that they need to get rid of the optical drive. I will be very disappointed if Apple does this to me. I'll still buy it, because in reality it's a small part of the whole experience, but I won't like.

For those who want to see it gone because THEY don't ever use it, try looking up the word Egocentrism.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I have a 6xCD player in my car. Why stop using it when I can burn iTunes music for it.

Most vehicles have 30-pin USB or Bluetooth these days.

Quote:

I rip all movies when I buy them to my internal drive. Why should have to use an external optical drive to rip them when Macs still have them.

Because that's illegal to begin with.

Quote:

It doesn't cost Apple very much money to keep it when people do still use it.

The question truly lies in the cost to innovation, usability, and utility to keep them.

Quote:

For those who want to see it gone because THEY don't ever use it, try looking up the word Egocentrism.

Funny that you'd lecture people on a logical fallacy when you stated not a sentence before that you'd buy an iMac even though it didn't meet your needs.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

You might as well ask a crackhead bum on the street corner about the latest Apple news, because they wouldn't be any less accurate than Digitimes.

This may be the first time I agree with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

HiDPI screens would be nice. *Says optimistically.

Hmm. Could we imagine 'Air' like slimness on the iMac?

Was that question aimed at me? I don't see why a slightly thinner imac would be an improvement here. If anything it just introduces further design constraints. A height adjustable stand would be a nice feature, but I don't expect them to go that direction. Shaving a few mm off of its density wouldn't really grant you any extra desk space. That is why I'm unsure of the point of this.

Quote:

Matte ≠ anti-reflective, remember.

I don't think anyone cares about this. The concern is regarding obtrusive reflections. Other brands have put out display panels without a the high gloss finish or the specular diffusion seen on the LG panels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What's funny is that apple has been lately (as in the last few years) calling matte anti glare and then sticking a glass on top of the very same portable macs with tn panels which could have easily had semi gloss (a la air) coating, making them very pro glare indeed.

It doesn't make sense to me either.

Quote:

Because that's illegal to begin with.

In the context of your response, that was extremely funny.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It doesn't make sense to wait that long for hardware reasons only. Ivy Bridge and Z77 will be out before then. You can buy Z77 motherboards now from PC sites.

Maybe they want to ensure they ship with Mountain Lion, to start establishing an installed base.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    30" model please.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Because that's {ripping movies} illegal to begin with.

Actually, it's illegal regardless of whether there's an internal drive or not, so it's not much of an argument for dropping the internal drive.

Personally, I don't see the justification for dropping the internal drive from the iMac, even though I'd be completely in favor of dropping it from the MacBook Pro. ODDs are not all that expensive and you don't have the space and weight limitations with a desktop that you have with a laptop. And an extra 1/2" of thickness is almost unnoticeable with a desktop, but is a HUGE amount for a laptop.

The iMac already has space for an SSD, and HDD and an ODD all at the same time, so giving up the space really isn't necessary.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, it's illegal regardless of whether there's an internal drive or not, so it's not much of an argument for dropping the internal drive.

Sure it is. It removes the capability to perform the illegal action from the purchase. You want to spend extra money on an external drive, be Apple's guest.

But not having the capability internally at all might actually lead to better studio deals. You never know.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    The lampshade iMac was by far the best design. they need to go back to that kind of complete flexibility with the monitor, not the rigid set up they've had since, only rocking up and down. That change has to be one of the biggest steps backwards in Mac hardware history, and when you put a lampshade model with the current model side-by-side, you have to agree.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malcolmkettering View Post

The lampshade iMac was by far the best design. they need to go back to that kind of complete flexibility with the monitor, not the rigid set up they've had since, only rocking up and down. That change has to be one of the biggest steps backwards in Mac hardware history, and when you put a lampshade model with the current model side-by-side, you have to agree.

'Have to' agree? Not at all. I don't know what a lampshade 27" iMac would look like or how it would work. It wasn't that hard to have enough weight in the base of the old one to support a 17" monitor. It might be horrendously heavy and complicated to do the same thing with a 27" monitor. Furthermore, there would probably be cooling issues with modern i5 and i7 chips and that case design.

I agree that having an adjustable monitor was a good thing and it was too bad that they took it away. I'm just now willing to make the leap to assuming that the tradeoffs would be worthwhile with a larger screen when we don't even know what the tradeoffs would be.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Quote:

I read your comments on the forum all the time and agree with a lot of them but I bet many people just look past what you say because you have little tact or diplomacy. I don't know how old you are and maybe that would explain it.

Unfortunately you are in dire need of social skills. I don't mean this to offend you, but for your benefit, it needs to be said.

Tough love and free psychotherapy right here in the forums! Great day in the mornin'!

PS: It may just be a scurrilous rumor, but I've heard that we in the geek community on the whole are NOT known for our universal mastery of social skills in the first place. And there is a place for curmudgeons as well as peacemakers, not to take a position on any individual in question, of course.

Quote:

I'm hoping they DON'T do away with the optical drive. Sure I could get an external BUT why should I have to. ....

For those who want to see it stay because an ever-smaller of them still use it, try looking up the word "Obsolescence."

Other good words/acronyms: efficiency, ecology, footprint, BOM, design, dimensions, TCO, and oh, "progress."