Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wish my car got 150 miles per gallon and accelerated from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and made women attack me in the street. If it doesn't do that, it would be foolish to complain about it.

REASONABLE complaints are one thing. Asking for the sun and moon and stars and complaining when Apple doesn't provide it isn't reasonable.

There is no way of reasonably talking with you. I'm done with this thread.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

There is no way of reasonably talking with you. I'm done with this thread.

I agree and think that 10hours charging time is a bit too long. And yes, using the iPad with the cord connected can be awkward depending on where you are sitting, or lying. Many people will obviously resort to recharging it overnight. But, for example, if I use it just before going to bed, which is nice to do, when I leave for work in the morning, it might not be fully charged. I guess I should carry the power cord with me and try to get a top-up at work if necessary. With my iPhone, I often plug it in to charge it when I go to bed, and it's nice to wake up in the morning and see that it is fully charged and ready to go. So, I think it's reasonable to desire that the iPad's full charging time is a little quicker than 10 hours.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:

Except for one thing - USB is limited in how much power it can deliver (5W, IIRC). And if they violate the USB limits by issuing a 25 watt charger, then people who use it on their iPhones could damage them.

Most people charge their iPad overnight and never drain their iPad completely dry so 6 hours vs 10 hours for a full charge isn't a big deal. Just another silly trumped up nonsense complaint.

You do understand wattage and voltage are two different things? Excessive wattage will not hurt a device along as the voltage is correct. The charger will only put out how much is asked of it. It is a pull relationship not a push. They can easily add a better charger.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:

I wish my car got 150 miles per gallon and accelerated from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and made women attack me in the street. If it doesn't do that, it would be foolish to complain about it.

REASONABLE complaints are one thing. Asking for the sun and moon and stars and complaining when Apple doesn't provide it isn't reasonable.

I think 10 hours charge time IS unreasonable. Should take 4-6 hours max! If nothing else it should be able to continue running when plugged in to power!

Mazda 3s is right about your attitude.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

I think 10 hours charge time IS unreasonable. Should take 4-6 hours max! If nothing else it should be able to continue running when plugged in to power!

Mazda 3s is right about your attitude.

It takes 6 hours. It's 50% longer than the iPad 2 despite having a 70% larger battery.
    THe charge time will drop as the battery size drops with more power efficient components. I don't they'll increase the power supply wattage if they didn't for the iPad 3.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You do understand wattage and voltage are two different things? Excessive wattage will not hurt a device along as the voltage is correct. The charger will only put out how much is asked of it. It is a pull relationship not a push. They can easily add a better charger.

You do understand that heat produced by charging is the real limiting factor? Because heat shortens the life of batteries? And that both charging time and battery life are considered part of user experience, and that they would do what they could to shorten charging time and balance it against battery life?

No, I didn't think you did, because you know more about the engineering of these things than Apple does.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some owners of Apple's new iPad have begun reporting connectivity issues with the LTE-capable model, stating that the device loses a 3G connection and won't reconnect without a hard reset.

Users with the issue have over the last week in a growing thread at the Apple Support Communities website. Most of the users who have posted appear to be international users attempting to connect to 3G networks, rather than the 4G LTE speeds available in the U.S.

User "NewForce" suggested that the issue lies either in iOS 5.1 or the Qualcomm chipset Apple has utilized in the new iPad. They said they tried a number of remedies, including resetting settings and replacing the SIM card, but nothing solved the problem except for cycling the power on the iPad between 3 and 5 times each day.

Users reporting issues say that the problem is specific to the new iPad. Many posting on Apple's website owned previous-generation 3G models and did not have the same connectivity bugs.

Those sharing the problem come from a variety of international countries, including Austria, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, the U.K., Singapore, Spain and Italy. In addition, a handful of people from the U.S., like user "rodzs," have also joined the discussion, though there seem to be fewer problems for American users.

"I live in northern Wisconsin and while I'm at home and the surrounding areas it works, but then the minute I am in extended coverage it doesn't work!!" they wrote. "Like many of you I tried resetting pretty much everything and nothing. I went to a Verizon store and tried to tell them that something is wrong with it and they pretty much told me that it was because when it is in extended coverage it might not work because of reception."

AppleInsider was first to report in March on an unrelated Wi-Fi reception issue some users have seen with the new iPad. Those people have complained that wireless reception with the new model is notably inferior than with Apple's previous models.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

NewForce, that's me!

Wow, me and all other victims of this problem hardwork now finally been paid-off! I'm in tears. This problem has been scorching my head up and down everyday. With every single tips from many users across 4 continents tried, but did not manage to permanently fix this "3G cellular data not connected" problem we have been seeing since 16/03 Day-1 New iPad launch day.

Despite Apple Support Communities host has been constantly deleting my growing threads with many victims listed in their forum, and did even banned my "NewForce" ID there, my will never died. I'm still keeping the namelist of the victims posted till 04/06/2012.

Thank you AppleInsider for making our problem we have been suffering public. Myself and on behalf of many victims of this problem would like to,

Thank You Very Much AppleInsider !!
  • Reply 48 of 66
    eastmaneastman Posts: 8member
    Nope my friend i am talking about SLOW charging not the charging Past the 100% mark .. it takes ages to charge compared to the iPad 2 ...
  • Reply 49 of 66
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I don't have the current iPad but with a duty cycle of around 50-60% it's not suprising some people are going to be pierced off. Charging and usage is equal measure would have been unacceptable until this thread came into existence.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I don't have the current iPad but with a duty cycle of around 50-60% it's not suprising some people are going to be pierced off. Charging and usage is equal measure would have been unacceptable until this thread came into existence.

Only among the people who have nothing better to do than whine about perceived deficiencies in Apple products.

Most people sleep 7-8 hours a night. Then they shower in the morning and have breakfast and maybe watch a little TV at night before going to bed. Most people also don't use their iPad enough day after day that the battery is always completely drained.

For the vast majority of people, it's a non-issue.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Here's a few screenshots when "3G Cellular Data Not Connected" occured & SystemTools app showed the new iPad not able to re-obtain an IP address with no "Network Public and Whois" information display.

• Reply 52 of 66
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewForce View Post

Here's a few screenshots when "3G Cellular Data Not Connected" occured & SystemTools app showed the new iPad not able to re-obtain an IP address with no "Network Public and Whois" information display.

Return it and get a wifi one and use the iphone as a hotspot.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Or return it, get new one with cellular/hotspot, selling phone, get iPod Touch, JB it, and use it with phone app.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

My current new iPad unit wifi are working flawless, very speedy, no screen bleeding, battery taking long hour chrging and heat problem. Remember, Apple has already acknowledged the new iPad wifi are having problem too and they working a fix for that problem. So changing to wifi version will only make the matter worst for me.

Btw,in Singapore money back refund are non-exist. The best you can only get money voucher to buy other un-excited Apple products, like iPhone 4S for example.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    mrmeta4mrmeta4 Posts: 1member
    I first purchased a 64GB ATT 4G and soon noticed that my sparkly new "lightning fast" iPad kept getting Internet connects errors and timeouts at a lot of my usual hangs and haunts where my Gen 1 iPad 3G always worked like a charm and my iPhone 4 continues to work great.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be at a business lunch and I can't even pull up a web page on my my band new top of the line iPad and instead have to pull out my iPhone to show the page. Geesh!

So after a full day of complaining to both Apple ant AT&T, and going through several tests which included wiping the iPad and starting from scratch and resetting all settings, I was ready to throw it in the garbage. Fortunately, Apple finally decided to grant me a return on the unit so I went to my local Apple Store and they swapped it out or an identical Verizon unit. What's a difference! Not only does it work but it's WAY faster than anything I ever saw on AT&T (when it did work). Plus, it'll do wifi hotspotting so double bonus.

I don't know if there was just something wrong with my unit or if it was a symptom of a larger issue with AT&T's LTE in Los Angele, but my advice is to go Verizon if you live in LA. Hands down.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Poor AT&T, even Gruber's going to bail, so he said on the last "Talk Show." I think it was about the iPad experience in Philadelphia.

Edit: I finally saw it—"Meta4"—hah!
  • Reply 57 of 66
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Is it really necessary to include large images in one's comments?

Is it further necessary to keep these images when replying to such comments?

• Reply 58 of 66
    After rethink of all users situation on the problem we've seen so far, including the WiFi connection issue, I am having more suspect & remedy suggestions to this cause,

1. iOS 5.1 having bugs.

2. Qualcomm radio chipset issues in design, driver & firmware.

3. New iPad power regulating IC & circuitry having problem distributing adequate voltage & power to Qualcomm 3/4G radio chipset & Broadcom WiFi chipset. This may due to new iPad high resiolution 2048x1548 screen consuming too many power and Apple are trying hard to save power from all possible ways. Look like Apple aimed for beyond Full resolution HD has took a set back and jeopardized it own product performance.

4. New iPad 42.5W battery pack poor quality, voltage & power inconsistency.

5. New iPad internal heat dissipating issue, resulted poor chipsets and battery pack performance.

For item 1, Apple might able to fix it with iOS 5.2 or 5.1.1.

For item 2, Apple could partially fix on the driver & firmware change, but not on radio chipset design issue. A New iPad Recall or Replacement can help.

For item 3, A firmware changed may help to re-distributing adequate voltage and power the Qualcomm & Broadcom chipsets.

For item 4, A New iPad Recall or Replacement or just Battery pack replacement can help.

For item 5, ONLY redesign of new iPad can help. Or a step back solution like Apple help to drill some holes with our warranty still intact. Some users may object this idea though.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    To date, Apple has not stand forward and face the problem like real big corporation. This has really further tarnishing their already look ugly after sales service images. Everytime when there's problem in their products, they have always choosen to coward behind Apple Corporation building at Cupertino. This really isn't what a REAL MAN should act.

If we look around, Google, IBM, Microsoft and so on.. if problem like this arise in their products, they had always stand forward and quickly provide a solution to the trouble.

I used to hate a lots about Microsoft Windows Update. But now compare it to Apple lousy attitude, Microsoft infact are 10x better Corporation than the sissy Apple.

Think again, Apple are inadequate Corporation, lacking professionals to deal with products crissis. Look what happened with Flashback virus/malware. This is a problem that Microsoft could have easily solved in a day or 2, and yet the inadequate Apple took more than 5 months.

Look like Google, IBM, Microsoft and the rest, except Apple, has got their professionals well trained to deal with any crisis when they arise. Well done to all of Google, IBM, Microsoft staffs.

In this round, Google, IBM, Microsoft and the rest scored 80 out of 100.

Too bad Apple, too bad, you had only scored 20 out of 100.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    newforcenewforce Posts: 8member

05/1 Update,

With my Singtel celllular data line, some time I could switch the APN name between "e-ideas" & "internet" and it work without a reboot needed. But sometimes I'll still need to reboot my new iPad as swapping both name just couldn't help to get the connection.

I can travel in Singapore from North East to South, to West, to East. From Punggol to Tampines, Katong, Marina Square, 313, Wisma Astria, ION, Shaw Centre, PS, Alexandra/Leng Kee Road, Mustafa area, Rangoon Road(Ng Ag Sio BKT) from time to time run into this silly "Could not activate cellular data network" "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet".

One and half month of countless frustration, still did not hear anything from the stupid Apple Engineering team. They simply just keep quiet about their issues. The way they handling the crisis are even worst than crappy & much smaller size HTC company with recent One-X screen chaos, that was more worse issue as you often need to see the display in a day. Under the lady boss/chairman Ms. Cher Wang ??? instructions, they did provide some info to Taiwan press & internet media when they put up the inquiry about the screen issues with HTC.

So Mr. Tim Cook, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? Or you're just another apprentice of Mr. Martin Yan, are still shooting the "TIM CAN COOK SHOW", so has absolutely no time for our issue? What about your Engeering team? Are they trained to handle with "CRISIS"?