HTC profits collapse 70% in face of competition from Apple, Samsung

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone

Indeed it is! I bought a One X about a week ago and I love it. I used to love my iPhone but the screen is just too small, in my opinion anyway.

I might look at the next iPhone if the screen is much bigger but for now I will stick with the One X. Also, it's nice to change little things like a SMS tone without having to hack my phone and I can schedule my work exchange email account!
  • Reply 62 of 113
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

.../but i doubt these new TV-centered initiatives will succeed much. except for gadget lovers (maybe 5% of the consumer market), i don't think people want to center multiple aspects their everyday lives around their big screen HDTV in the living room...

After everything you said, it still fails, because it's based on the above assumption. You are thinking in terms of mobile people on the go or just healthy ones. There are tens of millions of people who come home from work and plop down in front of their TV set in the living room. There are millions more who because of disabilities do this out of necessity of being immobile. There are tens of millions of senior citizens (we like gadgets too) who live for the programs on their large screen televisions. I have three sisters all over 65 and I can tell you that TV is their life and it isn't in their kitchen (no offense). Apple sells its products to hundreds of millions of people. I would think your family and circle of friends are much smaller. My iMac is the "Window to my World" because of congestive heart failure but I hope I live long enough to enjoy one of these large screen Apple television sets so I can blend my computing with the TV and control them wirelessly, although in my case it will go in my bedroom.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    +1

five chars.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah, but having taste and $200 buys you an iPhone.

• Reply 64 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

It's make or break time for them.

It won't matter. Here's why.

Ask the average consumer, say, your mom or grand kids or that barista that makes your coffee to name a HTC phone and one outstanding feature of it, could they? Now ask them to name and Apple phone an one outstanding feature of it, could they?

HTC's marketing slogan is "quietly brilliant". Maybe they should learn how to make some noise.
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

HTC's marketing slogan is "quietly brilliant". Maybe they should learn how to make some noise.

They'd better learn or soon they'll have to change their slogan to "Quickly Broke".
  • Reply 66 of 113
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanskywalker View Post

First, Android and Window 7 mobile are craps compare to iOS.

Secondly, HTC, unlike Samsung, never comes out with real attractive design model that can attract buyers to be excited about, some how i feel all their model design look quite the same as each other ( just look at the picture) in this stroy

Thirdly, I think the marketing and advertise team in HTC are really craps too. They don't seems to have very huge and exciting advertisement or events to catch attention to the consumer. I hardly notice that when they have new models coming out or that particular phone is actually a new model

Samsung does great in trying to come out with design that try to pull iPhone owner over and always have good advertisement, campaign and PR methods to catch attention on their up coming new models. They are even very good as using apple's strong name now and try to like fight law suit or say things bad about Apple products just to catch attaction.

I thing that is why HTC lost out a lot in market share to Samsung, not to even mention Apple

It's fine that you don't like Android but calling it crap is childish at best. I use an Android phone because I can do things on it that I can't with a iPhone. That doesn't mean I think the iPhone is crap, far from it. It's a wonderful phone that appeals to a lot of people who like simplicity and elegance. However it is also a very locked system and doesn't even begin to offer the freedom that an open source OS brings. It's for some not for everyone so please reframe from calling things you don't like crap.

As far as HTC is concerned they just released three fantastic new phones to the market. Their also discontinuing many other of their phones in their repatuer while only focusing on the few. I think this is a good business plan and will hopefully bring forth fruit. Seriously have you seen their new flagship, fricken amazing.

• Reply 67 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Indeed it is! I bought a One X about a week ago and I love it. I used to love my iPhone but the screen is just too small, in my opinion anyway.

I might look at the next iPhone if the screen is much bigger but for now I will stick with the One X. Also, it's nice to change little things like a SMS tone without having to hack my phone and I can schedule my work exchange email account!

Can you tell me how the battery life is on it. I've heard it can easily survive an entire workday but I'm pretty hard on my phones as I'm literally on it all the time, can you tell me how good you think it is.

Yes I completely agree it's time for Apple to move to a larger screen size. It will happen though I have no doubt.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

When you base your product on an Operating System that is FREE, then you are basing your business on a worthless Operating System because you didn't pay for it. Some things in life that are free end up being worthless. There is a difference between charging a reasonable amount of money, being gouged, to being hoodwinked into a worthless product. Oh well, you can lead them to water, but you can't make em drink it until they get thirsty enough.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You do realize that OSX and iOS is based off of a free OS, does BSD mean anything to you. The entire internet is ran from servers running free operating systems. Some of the best software in the world is free, Apache, MySQL, Samba, Linux, OpenOffice, VLC, every programming language on the planet.
  • Reply 69 of 113
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Can you tell me how the battery life is on it. I've heard it can easily survive an entire workday but I'm pretty hard on my phones as I'm literally on it all the time, can you tell me how good you think it is.

Yes I completely agree it's time for Apple to move to a larger screen size. It will happen though I have no doubt.

I get fantastic battery life but I dont play any games etc like some other people do. I left it off charge for 15 hours the other day and it only went down to 73%.

Also, nice to have a proper notification light! It's very close to the top of the case so very obvious to see.

I could never go back to a 3.5" screen now, in fact my work gave me a 4S but I used it for one day and it now sits in my office. Everything else in my house is nearly Apple but phonewise I can't see myself going away from Android for a while...but then again I thought the same thing about the iPhone a year ago lol.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone

That (flash) website is full of broken links, but I found out they have a deal with Dropbox: free 25GB for two years*.

I think a move like that will entice some folks. The hardware? I don't know, I'll keep on enjoying my iPhone - probably 4ever.

*Offer only available on HTC One series phones. Offer not available in China.

Specs:

Size: \t134.36 x 69.9 x 8.9 mm

Weightt130 grams with battery

DisplaytHD 720p touch

Screent4.7-inch (1280 x 720 resolution)

• Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:

It's fine that you don't like Android but calling it crap is childish at best. I use an Android phone because I can do things on it that I can't with a iPhone. That doesn't mean I think the iPhone is crap, far from it. It's a wonderful phone that appeals to a lot of people who like simplicity and elegance. However it is also a very locked system and doesn't even begin to offer the freedom that an open source OS brings. It's for some not for everyone so please reframe from calling things you don't like crap.

As far as HTC is concerned they just released three fantastic new phones to the market. Their also discontinuing many other of their phones in their repatuer while only focusing on the few. I think this is a good business plan and will hopefully bring forth fruit. Seriously have you seen their new flagship, fricken amazing.

Most of the comments in this forum are childish at best and with 1727 posts I'm sure this doesn't surprise you The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

Apple really need to lift their game with the next iPhone though and I am sure they will. I was showing my coworkers my One X the other day and someone put it next to their 4S and said "wow, it makes the iPhone look old fashioned".
  • Reply 72 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I guess that's why the bottom has dropped out of HTC's profits. No doubt this phone will completely turn things around.

I admit I'm bemused by the people who are always explaining to us stupid fanboys why Apple "must" do this or that. Or what? Continue to make all the money while the extra amazing spec kings go out of business?

An HTC fan, at this point, is like an Apple enthusiast during the very worst of Apple's darkest days, exclaiming over the latest Performa or whatever and declaring that Microsoft or Del or Compaq had better get with the program and answer in kind. Just delusional, in other words.
  • Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess that's why the bottom has dropped out of HTC's profits. No doubt this phone will completely turn things around.

I admit I'm bemused by the people who are always explaining to us stupid fanboys why Apple "must" do this or that. Or what? Continue to make all the money while the extra amazing spec kings go out of business?

An HTC fan, at this point, is like an Apple enthusiast during the very worst of Apple's darkest days, exclaiming over the latest Performa or whatever and declaring that Microsoft or Del or Compaq had better get with the program and answer in kind. Just delusional, in other words.

You're right actually and probably what I (assume you were talking about me) should have said was, I hope Apple lift their game. Anyway thats my perspective but there are millions of happy iPhone customers out there so they are obviously doing something right.

To get me back they will need to do something special in the next iPhone though.
  • Reply 74 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You're right actually and probably what I (assume you were talking about me) should have said was, I hope Apple lift their game. Anyway thats my perspective but there are millions of happy iPhone customers out there so they are obviously doing something right.

To get me back they will need to do something special in the next iPhone though.

Fair enough, you certainly are entitled to your preferences.

My guess is that the next iPhone will have a somewhat larger screen without having a much larger case, because Apple has strong feelings about what works best for one-handed operation and mobility. They'll probably rework the case design in general just because they do that from time to time.

I think anyone waiting for some kind of eye-popping rethink of iOS is in for a long wait, however. Android has changed a lot because it wasn't very good when it was released and has basically gone through it beta releases in public. Apple tends to spend a lot of time getting the fundamentals nailed and then iterates evolutionarily, until they're ready for the something completely different.

Classic Mac OS, OS X and the iPod all saw (and are seeing) modest updates to their chrome and functionality over the years while maintaining a basic look and feel and idiom. I don't think the dread "static screen of apps" is somehow going to morph into a diverting light show, and I don't think Apple is going to adopt any kind of "live tile" deal-- simply because I have no doubt something similar was tried and discarded during the original design phase.

I'm surprised when people complain about "boring" home screens and the like-- I use my phone to do stuff, not gaze lovingly at the OS. I'm never more than a few taps away from the app I want to use, which suits me fine.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

It's a shame that people will not chose something because it came from Apple.

Take Relic who just a few days ago said she got rid of her iPhone because everyone had one. Does that sounds like a rational reason to change your digital ecosystem? She then followed up with an anecdote how she's converted a dozen women from the iPhone over the Galaxy Note so it's hard to take the combined comments seriously. It's too bad she's married or I'd hook her up with DaHarder.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    I was going to comment on your comment, but then I caught myself.

I have as much chance of convincing you as you convincing me (iPhone vs. Note).

So in the end, we can simply just agree to disagree.

Quote:

Most of the comments in this forum are childish at best and with 1727 posts I'm sure this doesn't surprise you The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

Apple really need to lift their game with the next iPhone though and I am sure they will. I was showing my coworkers my One X the other day and someone put it next to their 4S and said "wow, it makes the iPhone look old fashioned".

• Reply 77 of 113
    Just for kicks, I checked some Android tablets at Staples. They had some Asus, Acer, Samsung and company (Archos, etc.) on display.

The first thing I noticed is the oddness of the 16x9 ratio of the Galaxy 10. The Iconia seemed too thick and heavy. The Transformer felt like a laptop display without a keyboard. The Archos had no power, so I couldn't really examine it. Except for the Samsung, the other felt cheap and outdated.

Perhaps more disturbing is the Android interface. I can't quite explain it, but I think even Windows is easier to navigate.

For all the Android fans out there, keep buying whatever it is that you prefer and meet your needs. This is my personal assessment and in no way meant to persuade anyone to consider Apple products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Take Relic who just a few days ago said she got rid of her iPhone because everyone had one. Does that sounds like a rational reason to change your digital ecosystem? She then followed up with an anecdote how she's converted a dozen women from the iPhone over the Galaxy Note so it's hard to take the combined comments seriously. It's too bad she's married or I'd hook her up with DaHarder.

• Reply 78 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Just for kicks, I checked some Android tablets at Staples. They had some Asus, Acer, Samsung and company (Archos, etc.) on display.

The first thing I noticed is the oddness of the 16x9 ratio of the Galaxy 10. The Iconia seemed too thick and heavy. The Transformer felt like a laptop display without a keyboard. The Archos had no power, so I couldn't really examine it. Except for the Samsung, the other felt cheap and outdated.

Perhaps more disturbing is the Android interface. I can't quite explain it, but I think even Windows is easier to navigate.

16:9 is a very odd aspect ratio for a tablet. I was saying that around 4:3 was the most appropriate size well before the iPad debuted.

I agree that Win8 looks like a better option for consumers over Android, but is it a better option over iOS for iPad? I think WIn8 for tablets could fall into the same pitfalls as Win7 for Windows Phone. It's good OS, but it's not good enough to choose over the iPhone.

The problem for MS is that the iPad dominate this market, but the benefit for MS is that the "iPad market" is still very new. MS was very last in getting Win Phone to market. Now I think MS should have focused on a tablet OS first that could have been competed with the iPad when people were still saying "but what's it for" and "how do I use it without a file manager". That ship has long since sailed.

Win8 is a step backwards in usability from WIn7, at least for desktop users. MS is taking a huge risk here. I think they should have kept the portable touchscreen devices together and the desktop and notebook devices together, just as Apple does. If my experience with the Win8 beta is any indication then users will flock will to Macs faster than they did with Windows Vista.

I wouldn't be surprised if these things happen this year:
    1. Apple introduces a new Mac focused campaign.

2. Apple announces a change in accounting for Macs so OS X updates can be delivered free of charge on a yearly cycle.

3. MS will put back the Start button in Win8 without requiring a 3rd-party tool to do so.

• Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You can put me down all you want, I've dealt with likes of you before and it's a normal reaction for insecure men. I just want you to know that I still think your a swell person and I hope everything works out for you in life.

Plus I've said this before, it's only Apples mobile line that I have a problem with. The rest is just peachy in my book.
  • Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:

You can put me down all you want, I'm a very understanding person, it's a normal reaction for insecure men.

I'm not putting you down, I'm saying your comments are irrational. Making mostly rational comments still means your post is irrational if say the things you do.

Part of this disconnect I see in your posts is that you think the word has more importance than the implied meaning or context. It shows you write emotionally, without any regard for reason. This is why you think telling me to bugger off which we all know means to fuck off,, is perfectly acceptable, yet anyone that disagrees your posts, not even against you as a person, you say is personal attacking you. I don't mind you being emotional, but I do mind when you are making irrational and hypocritical statements.

PS: There is nothing secure about not wanting an iPhone because "everyone owns one."