Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Good lord you read to many comic books.

More like high school dropout.
  • Reply 222 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.

Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

What if Apple paid more for components and the price stayed the same? Their profit margins would be less. But you'd still be paying the same price. So I'm not certain that I understand how the consumer would benefit from that "smaller profits are better for the consumer" way of thinking.

The market determines value. Apple sells products that have relatively elastic demand curves (because you can't eat them, live in them or wear them to keep you warm). If Apple's products were (truly) "overpriced", then demand would fall, correct? But last I checked, people were still lining up around the block to buy them.

I read a great piece back around Christmas. I wish I had saved it. But the article spoke about brand value and what it means to a company. And the two companies that stood out in the article, that were not known for playing the pricing/deep discount game: Apple... and Ferrari.
  • Reply 223 of 227
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    iPhone 3GS, free with contract, sold more than any android model in the US Q4 last year.
  • Reply 224 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I'm sorry, but when the last few pages of this thread went completely off topic into discussing the reliability and resale value of BMWs vs Kias, I can't help but laugh at this statement.

I like those type of discussions... they make me appear more rational by comparison.
  • Reply 225 of 227
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but when the last few pages of this thread went completely off topic into discussing the reliability and resale value of BMWs vs Kias, I can't help but laugh at this statement.

It gets especially frustrating when it's the weekend and there are no new stories to comment on...
  • Reply 226 of 227
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

i agree wholeheartedly.
  • Reply 227 of 227
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Customer retention is not really a very helpful statistic.

Let's say you're in the market for a $40,000 car. You have a lot of options to choose from - and even a lot of comparable options. If I want a good quality, comfortable, mid-sized sedan for $40,000, I have a dozen or more choices.

OTOH, if you 'only' have $60 K to spend and want a full blown luxury vehicle, the Equus may be your only choice. Even on the low end, Hyundai vehicles are generally priced considerably lower than most of the competition. So 'high customer retention' may simply mean 'our customers are consistently looking for a cheap car and we don't have as much competition in that space'.

That's not to say that Hyundai vehicles are bad. They certainly seem to offer decent value in the markets where they compete. But you can't really use customer retention as evidence of that.

The thing is, people don?t mess around when spending the kind of money to buy a car. Some will choose a car just to save $1000 - $1500 spending $20,000+ based on price alone, but those are few. Most will not buy a car unless they believe it is going to be something they can rely on. They will pay a bit more for dependability without giving it much thought.

The JD Power Customer Retention showed that Hyundai owners are the most likely to be brand loyal when it comes to buying their next car. If it were simply because Hyundai was slightly cheaper than their competitors, they would have won this award every year they sold cars in America because it?s always been that way. But this is the first year they took the prize. People come back to Hyundai because their prior experience was good enough that they want to stick with the same brand.

I?ve compared trim levels of the Sonata vs Camry and on the upper level and hybrid trims, there is no difference in price (same options and features) and in one case the Sonata was more expensive than Camry. (although Camry did offer additional options which Sonata didn?t have which made it more expensive). And the cheapest car in America is no longer Hyundai or Kia, but the Nissan Versa, and by a fairly wide margin.

Here?s another Brand Loyalty survey done by Kelley Blue Book, with Hyundai winning again.

http://mediaroom.kbb.com/hyundai-mai...ota-closing-in

Kia also finished in fourth place out of all manufacturers.

In the very latest study, Toyota is in the lead by a hair over second place Hyundai, and Kia maintaining the fourth spot.

http://mediaroom.kbb.com/toyota-rede...-since-Q3-2010

Kia and Hyundai are still behind in reputation compared to Toyota and Honda, especially among the older generation.

But with all the advertising they do to get their brand name to be recognizable among the new generation, and with support of prior owners from studies like these, their reputation increases every year against the odds.