Universal Pictures now available to re-download on Apple's iCloud

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Not going to happen unless we see some significant changes on iTunes movie content... The ability to redownload content isn't it...

Movies on the iTunes store are way overpriced, lack the ability to share, and are often missing the bonus features... DVDs/BluRay are still the best way to go...

Pricing is your concern? Try bandwidth. The time value of money far exceeds the cost of purchase.

Unless I've got fiber to the home downloading a 25GB Blu Ray disc image is not ever going to interest me.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have since 2003.

you are right about this, my bad. apologies to isheldon.

Quote:

Windows lets you do it, I believe. I could be wrong about that.

how? even if you go to iCloud.com there is no option for signup so i guess they don't allow…
  • Reply 23 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

how? even if you go to iCloud.com there is no option for signup so i guess they don't allow?

Ah, I thought it was possible via the iCloud control panel. I don't log into anything in my Windows partition, so I hadn't confirmed that.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Not going to happen unless we see some significant changes on iTunes movie content... The ability to redownload content isn't it...

Movies on the iTunes store are way overpriced, lack the ability to share, and are often missing the bonus features... DVDs/BluRay are still the best way to go...

The positive about physical copies is that we can have an original archive disc, we have better quality audio, extra content.

The cons is higher cost, have to convert using some sort of encryption cracking software, BluRay requires a BluRay player (decent ones cost a minimum of $1,000)

Personally, I would only buy a movie once I know it is one that I would watch more than a few times. Only the Classics so to speak, which aren't that many of. I would also need to have a very nice HomeTheater system to enjoy it.

What is kind of rip off is 4G LTE costs. Let's say you just bought an IPad 4G LTE and had a $50 a month service, you can only have 5G of data usage. One 1080p movie is over 3G. So, aside from the price of renting or buying that movie, it is going to cost another $25 or so just to download the freaking thing. Buying BluRay, one has to have a player, which costs money, and be able to spend time converting it into a digital file to put on our computers/tablets.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Bring on iTunes Movie Match!
  • Reply 26 of 48
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

And license this iTunes service out finally across other platforms. This rental on iTunes piece by piece model only on Apple hardware

Since when does Apple make Windows hardware?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That should save people some HD space. Yes, movie match would be nice, but I would settle for a cheap SD to HD upgrade for past purchases.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Rupert Murdock cant afford to let people re-download paid content through iCloud. Lets start a pool to collect money to help mr Murdock and his financial plight.

An accurate depiction of mr Murdock huh?

(enter sarcasm here)
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Since Boot Camp
  • Reply 30 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

I don't find iTunes movies to be overpriced. I buy less DVDs these days and increasingly download more iTune movies and TV programmes. However, there is still a much wider selection of DVDs.

You are right about the bonus features. I do miss them on downloads. I wonder why they aren't included? One day maybe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There are extras, the problem is that the Apple TV doesn't support them for some reason. Boggles the mind.

So some do watch the "extras"?

The fact that they're not available from iTunes is unlikely due to Apple's decision. It's more likely the studios' way of protecting their DVD business.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Nope, that costs extra.

Yes, that fact is hilarious, by the way.

Yes, all here who buy Apple stuffs understand it is hilarious to pay more FOR more.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Yes I do. It's just nice to have it to watch on my on my iPad as I travel. But I would never ever buy or rent from iTunes- like throwing money out the window. All my iTunes movies are freebies from Blu - the ultimate format.

Was the redownload the 1080p version?
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yes, all here who buy Apple stuffs understand it is hilarious to pay more FOR more.

The difference here being you're already legally entitled to your digital copy even when you're not paying extra for it.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

Was the redownload the 1080p version?

No sadly- the freebies included are never HD- though I'm hoping that this may eventually change.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

When was the Windows iPod invented? Remember- hell froze over!
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I've never bought a Blue Ray movie. Do all of them come with a digital copy?

Many do- when you redeem them at iTunes store they are treated like a purchase- like the free songs at Starbucks. So you can redownload them across any Mac machine. I supose Windows iTunes users too. I just think at this point iTunes should be available on more entertainment options besides just the Apple TV. It is hindering growth in the video department. Look at Amazon and Netflix- they are everywhere, on everymachine.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Crap Hollywood Version)

DVD - $17.99 (Amazon), $29.99 (Best Buy in Store)

Blu Ray - $22.99 (Amazon), $39.99 (Best Buy in Store)

Amazon Download - $12.99 or $3.99 to rent (SD)

iTunes 1080p - $17.99

iTunes 480p - $12.99
  • Reply 38 of 48
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    So everything should be available yet I still have 7 movies from iTunes that are not available for re-download:

Batman: Year One

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Lady and the Tramp

The Nightmare Before Christmas

We Are the World: The Story Behind the Song

White Christmas

Zombie Prom

The Harry Potter movie is real weird since films 1-6 (except 4) are showing up for me. Nightmare Before Christmas is another odd one as it shows up for re-downlond for a friend of mine. Obviously there are still some kinks to work out. Until this "just works" it's not much of a selling point.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

The difference here being you're already legally entitled to your digital copy even when you're not paying extra for it.

That's been illegal since the 90s. Circumvention of the encryption is a no-no.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:

That's been illegal since the 90s. Circumvention of the encryption is a no-no.

You'll notice I'm not talking about that.