'Harry Potter' gains e-book treatment, but no deal yet for Apple's iBookstore

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What is the deal? Anyways, iPad excels in everything except being an e-reader. As e-reader it totally sucks - heavy, big, unusable in sunlight. This is on the contrary to what Tim Cook said at the last keynote about iPad being a favorite device for reading books.

Or not everyone reads outside in the bright sunlight
  • Reply 42 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

To each their own I suppose. While I like Stephen Fry, I never have understood why anyone would want an "audiobook" (except for the obvious case of being blind).

To have someone nattering on in the background is terribly annoying IMO. You can't possibly concentrate on anything else at the same time. And if you have the time and attention for it, then you might as well read it yourself since you aren't doing anything else.

Actually audiobooks are very beneficial to a lot of people, and very useful in situation where a paper version is not. You can listen while walking, driving, travelling etc. And why would you have the issue concentrating on something else? Do you do other things while you read a paper book?
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I never liked Harry Potter anyways. Totally overrated. Apple is better off without them.

Great fan girl reply.

iBooks need a way to read books on Mac/PC either via iTunes or a iBooks app. Often I am stuck in a computer room for hours as things are going on, and I would love to bring up a book on my Macbook that I already have open. With Kindle books I can do this on my Macbook from the app or from the website.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titomcgee View Post

If you bothered to research a little better, you'd know that you can only purchase the books through Rowling's Pottermore site. Take a look on the Kindle store - it only provides a link for purchase on her site - they aren't getting any revenue. So they aren't actually boxing out Apple. They are boxing out all resellers - which is a smart move. Apple is probably choosing not to link to her site. And at the end of the day, you can still read the books on an iPad...so how is this news? I feel like this site is becoming a place for people to just get mad about anything that sort of appears to go against Apple. Good grief. I love Apple, but come on. This is getting old.

Given that Amazon is using its network to deliver copies to people, I have to assume they're getting a cut, maybe less than normal but a cut. For Apple and iBooks, I don't think the issue is the money to them, it's giving up all control over the user. Apple has left money on the table from magazine publishers rather than give them the info they're used to, I can't see them signing off on giving it to a book publisher who normally doesn't get that info.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

As for the Harry Potter books, my kid tells me that ship sailed long ago. Yesterday's news.

Yeah now it's all about the Hunger Games which is apparently in an exclusive deal with Amazon right now.

And the movie is getting crap from casting a black guy in a role that was actually never described in terms of the characters race. And in keeping with the whole "the next Twilight" the female lead is rumored to be hooking up with one of the lead guys

And it goes on and on, like the hyping up of every little issue on Apple's new thing as a great design flaw and the rumors about what the next great thing will be
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Reading EPUB on an iPad is like watching reruns of black and white TV shows on a 70" LCD . An interactive version like the new textbooks would actually be interesting to see.

So... Text is dead and we shouldn't read the classics anymore, unless they are updated with interactive features ??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post

Not that I wouldn't want this to be available in iBooks, but what's the point? Hasn't anyone even remotely interested in the series read all the books by now?

This might have been bigger news five years ago before the final book came out.

So... By that reasoning, there's no point in publishing (on paper or digital) any of the classics anymore...

For example, the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. They're nearly a hundred years old, so anybody that's remotely interested in them has already read his books. Obviously, nobody born in the last 20 years would want to read them... And certainly not on an iPad or Kindle!!!
  • Reply 47 of 61
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I think the only thing slowing ibook store is that glaring 30% cut Apple is taking for basically hosting. It just doesn't sit well with publishers and writers. If Apple really want to compete in ebooks, they need to lower that rate.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Speak for yourself. I'm a huge fan and I don't care if you don't like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We're not fans of piracy here.

• Reply 49 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Speak for yourself. I'm a huge fan and I don't care if you don't like it.

Good for you. I don't want you complaining now in the event that you ever create something and it gets stolen from you.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

I think the only thing slowing ibook store is that glaring 30% cut Apple is taking for basically hosting. It just doesn't sit well with publishers and writers. If Apple really want to compete in ebooks, they need to lower that rate.

You're correct in that the 30% cut is problematic. But here's the thing: an ePublisher that provides access to a eReader device they control (like the iPad/iBookstore, the nook or the Kindle) will need to demonstrate some sort of value added for that fee. AAPL was able to do this with the iPod and music easily, since there was no real competing hardward product. With eBooks, *anyone* can be a writer.

The publishing business, as we know it, is going (or perhaps already has gone) the way of buggy whip manufacturers.

For that 30%, an eBook store linked to devices need show that there is enhnaced sales for the sellers product. While it has been true for some time that anyone could be an author (pen and paper has been available for many, many centuries) the distribution of that globally has only been recently realized. Anyone can now type out a book, make a "Pottermore" store, and literally reach to all of humanity, all in a few hours. But hardly any of humanity will respond, since they is a lot competing for humanity's attention.

Thus, and eBook retailer, with an attractive store, easy access to hardware devices in many peoples hands, and perhaps some social media connections (book reviewers, critics, with reputations for being correct, insightful and helpful) can demand payment for their services.

What remains to be seen is if anyone can actually deploy such a model.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Author J.K. Rowling's "Pottermore" website launched its bookstore feature on Tuesday, making all seven "Harry Potter" titles available in e-book form. The digital titles are now available on e-bookstores from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Google and Sony, but not Apple.

Weird - when you search for Harry Potter on Amazon's Kindle book collection, the actually Harry Potter books are no where near the top returns.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    JKR is the world's first and only billionaire author. I don't think she's hurting for the cash.

Quote:

Good for you. I don't want you complaining now in the event that you ever create something and it gets stolen from you.

• Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:

JKR is the world's first and only billionaire author. I don't think she's hurting for the cash.

"She's rich; it doesn't matter if I steal her stuff," is not a valid excuse morally, logically, or legally. But feel free to try it out in court.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Actually, some moral philosophies argue that the end result of an action is more important than the action itself. Piracy is an example of a "victimless crime". Since JKR is already a billionaire, she is not affected by the piracy of her books. And the positive reaction gained from reading her material has increased her reach due to the positive word-of-mouth I've given it.

But feel free to keep up the holier than tho act. It's amusing, to say the least.

Quote:

"She's rich; it doesn't matter if I steal her stuff," is not a valid excuse morally, logically, or legally. But feel free to try it out in court.

• Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Since JKR is already a billionaire, she is not affected by the piracy of her books.

"Since I have a dollar, I'm not affected by the piracy of my?"

Instant problem. Broken argument.

Quote:

And the positive reaction gained from reading her material has increased her reach due to the positive word-of-mouth I've given it.

That's really the only argument pirates have, and you don't see much proof of it anywhere, do you?

Quote:

But feel free to keep up the holier than tho act. It's amusing, to say the least.

I don't pirate. Period. I fail to see why I can't continue the fight against idiots that don't seem to understand how an economy works.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    If you honestly cared about the economy, you wouldn't be a Republican. They created this mess in the first place.

And don't bother denying it. Before W we had a surplus and a thriving economy. His policies led us to The Great Recession which is going to take a great Democrat two terms to repair.

So save your BS for one of your dumb lackies. No one here with a brain is buying it.

Quote:

"Since I have a dollar, I'm not affected by the piracy of my?"

Instant problem. Broken argument.

That's really the only argument pirates have, and you don't see much proof of it anywhere, do you?

I don't pirate. Period. I fail to see why I can't continue the fight against idiots that don't seem to understand how an economy works.

• Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

If you honestly cared about the economy, you wouldn't be a Republican. They created this mess in the first place.

And don't bother denying it. Before W we had a surplus and a thriving economy. His policies led us to The Great Recession which is going to take a great Democrat two terms to repair.

So save your BS for one of your dumb lackies. No one here with a brain is buying it.

This has nothing to do with politics. Don't bring politics into this discussion again.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Hmmm. Someone didn't like it when I pointed out the hypocrisy of his argument.

Quote:

This has nothing to do with politics. Don't bring politics into this discussion again.

• Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Hmmm. Someone didn't like it when I pointed out the hypocrisy of his argument.

Either explain how politics is at all relevant to the discussion or drop the issue.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    I'll dumb it down for you. I'm looking at something you fail to see: The Big Picture.

Your argument is essentially that Pirates don't completely comprehend the damage they cause to The Economy.

My rebuttal is that from 2002-2008, the Republicans, led by that goon George W, caused near irreparable damage to the economy by launching pointless wars, taking too many vacations, and relaxing regulation so much that it led to The Great Recession.

er go, Republicans don't care about the economy, only themselves, rending your argument hallow and hypocritical.

Capish?

Quote:

Either explain how politics is at all relevant to the discussion or drop the issue.