AT&T to spend $150M on Lumia launch, more than it did with iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In order to help bolster launch sales for Nokia's new Lumia 900 handset, exclusive U.S. carrier AT&T is willing to spend up to $150 million in ad money, more than it spent on Apple's iPhone.

I think most of these money came in a form of incentive for a carrier from Microsoft. They already lost count of money they spent promoting WP so extra 150m wont be even noticeable.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Reviews are already out. Anandtech was pretty positive on the phone, and that's probably one of the least-biased tech sites out there.

How long before the posts arrive trashing Anandtech?
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ugly phone, and an Ugly interface. If that is their best promotional photos I doubt the device will be a runaway success out of the gate. It might take off IF it works well...

Only a true moron would even think anything good bout that phone.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

No. It's the top selling phone on amazon.

Case closed. Amazon is who brought us the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    .... And a stunning 800x480 display....
  • Reply 26 of 87
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Ugly phone, and an Ugly interface. If that is their best promotional photos I doubt the device will be a runaway success out of the gate. It might take off IF it works well...

... and they'll need to spend every penny to move that dog ...
  • Reply 27 of 87
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    get ready to blow taps ... it's over.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    if it wasn't so fugly… it's just not aesthetically "there" at all…

I'm curious about the "metro" interface though, although it has always felt more a "gimmick" to me than the giant leap it's being promoted as…

It's a visually clever way to present a familiar icon set…. SMS, Calls, eMail, Browser, Photos, etc… but otherwise, what's special or seriously groundbreaking about it?

For the new "lumia 900", I'm sure they'll attract plenty of low-hanging fruit. They're literally giving it away. That should help kick up some initial momentum. But can they sustain it? I'm thinking probably not.. because, in the end, it's still a fugly gadget phone…

And for next year's follow up model? I'm guessing the "Cherry 2000" maybe? :P
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Nice phone. But, um, it looks like someone took a rolling pin to my daughter's iPod Mini from a few years back.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

.... And a stunning 800x480 display....

It's not a bad resolution but for a 2012 device it's certainly not a flagship caliber PPI.

Worst of all it's the same resolution as the Lumia 800 at 0.6" smaller display at 3.7". I understand why they kept the resolution consistent from a technical standpoint but from a marketing one it doesn't make your product stand out.

Personally I'm a fan of the Nokia HW and WinPh but this campaign doesn't seem to be turning many heads. MS has the benefit of holding off indefinitely refining the platform and waiting for an opening but Nokia may only have a couple years to many things click.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    It's this kind of UI that will keep me away from Win 8
  • Reply 32 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    MS is late to the party. They should just stick to the enterprise market. I would argue most iPhone users are loyal customers, but what reason would someone have to dump Android for Windows? Is there a compelling software reason to switch?
  • Reply 33 of 87
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    iPhones don't need false praise.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

MS is late to the party. They should just stick to the enterprise market. I would argue most iPhone users are loyal customers, but what reason would someone have to dump Android for Windows? Is there a compelling software reason to switch?

There is no such thing as the enterprise market anymore. There is only the consumer market which has enveloped what used to be the enterprise market.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, very late, but they usually are. I can't think of a single market they were first and yet can think of several of them that they ended up dominating for one reason or another.

Apple was also say to be "late to the party" and that "the market was saturated" and "there was no way PC guys are going to come in and figure it out" but they did, and exceedingly fast. As previously noted the benefit MS has is not needing the mobile market the way Nokia does so they can hold out indefinitely waiting for an in. Does it not then behoove them to keep better their product whilst they wait for the opportunity? I think it the smart move.

As for reasons, I can think of security, SW, services, and refinement off the top of my head for switching from Android to WinPh.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Whatever AT&T spent on promoting the iPhone is a total waste of money. The iPhone sells itself without any need for advertisement.

Now they spend more money to advertise for this than the iPhone should not come as a surprise since they NEED to advertise this product heavily in order to sell it. Not a surprise at all!

I agree completely. Word of mouth sells the iPhone, far beyond the TV spots or print ads. Who in their right mind is talking about the Windows Phone? No one I know.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

There is no such thing as the enterprise market anymore. There is only the consumer market which has enveloped what used to be the enterprise market.

Then how do you explain how RIM is still around? ........ wait, I think I may have answered my own question.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member
    What's up with the bright primary colors?
  • Reply 39 of 87
    I'd take a Windows phone over the abomination that is called Android. At least Windows mobile isn't just an imitation of iOS. Microsoft is brave enough to try something different. Hate the UI all you want. It's not just a poor copy of iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I'd rather have the android.