Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    Another Marc Andreessen bomb.



    I'm guessing wildly, and have zero inside information, but I'd bet he turned that $500k into something approaching $100M.



    So yeah, what a bomb.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    There's value in 100 million + users. Apple is a smart company and could figure out a plan... I'm sure that if Twitter was the right price then it would be well worth it.



    Why?



    Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I can't think of a single reason why Apple would want to buy Twitter. Last time I checked Apple was a hardware/software company, not an ad-company, and not into user tracking and profiling. They'd better not try to become one either because if that happens, I'm out.



    Quote:

    Someone will buy Twitter soon.



    Yes, someone probably will buy Twitter eventually. Facebook would probably love to have it. Microsoft could be another candidate, for the simple fact they don't want anyone else to have it, and to give their own search & ad business a much-needed boost.



    What will probably happen is what I've been predicting all the time: Twitter gets bought by a big-name company, and within a year or two, some alternative based on the same principles as Twitter but more useful and less noisy will pop-up, and Twitter will be worth nothing. In 5 years it will be gone completely.



    The only reason Twitter is popular is because it is the first service of its kind, but if you just look how useless it actually is now that everyone is using it, it can't last long. 99.999% of the crap posted on Twitter has zero value, it's all just noise.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    Last time I checked Apple was a hardware/software company, not an ad-company, and not into user tracking and profiling. They'd better not try to become one either because if that happens, I'm out.



    Apple's iAD is already profiling and tracking you. Clearly they aren't as large or focused on it as Google, but I suspect they're pretty darn good at it. According to an earlier research paper concerning iAd, "This task examines approaches to content-based recommendation and also exploits the user-user collaboration which occurs within the search process in order to improve the quality of a search. iAd is researching user profiling by (both implicitly and explicitly) examining the actions of users in order to model user profiles which will then be employed to support user matching. The user profiles generated will model all aspects of user's interests (which will change over time) as well as the current status of the user.



    Comments from European marketers using iAd corroborate that users are profiled and tracked, including data gathered via iTunes usage.



    "Christophe Cauvy, head of digital, EMEA, at McCann-Erickson suggested iAd's appeal is obvious, while consumer insights provided by Apple strengthened such an offering further.



    "The sheer number and profile of iPod touch and iPhone users is valuable," said Cauvy.



    "The targeting aspect, using iTunes data in addition to demographics and location, is a great tool for advertisers. It's a rich experience for users."



    Way too late to get that cat back in the bag. Apple already knows a heck of a lot about you.



    http://www.warc.com/LatestNews/News/....news?ID=27524
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    Why?



    Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I can't think of a single reason why Apple would want to buy Twitter. Last time I checked Apple was a hardware/software company, not an ad-company, and not into user tracking and profiling. They'd better not try to become one either because if that happens, I'm out.



    So you've never heard of iAd? (as Gatorguy points out) (or was you answer tongue-in-cheek)



    If not tongue-in-cheek then that deserves a "Hmmmmmmm...".
  • Reply 65 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 3,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post


    About $250 M in 1996 dollars, which while less than the NeXT purchase still illustrates how overpriced this purchase is. Oh, and how sh*tty the dollar is.



    $1B today is about $680M in 1996 dollars using an average of 2.44% inflation over the period.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I am going to vomit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    F U C K sake Apple! If you let Twitter slip away I won't forgive you. I have been tweeting you to buy Instagram for 6 months!



    I don't see the point. A bit of software that can throw a few lame filters over the top of a picture sounds like something that Apple could knock up themselves for very little.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,866member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post


    I don't see the point. A bit of software that can throw a few lame filters over the top of a picture sounds like something that Apple could knock up themselves for very little.



    Exactly. What does Instagram do that iPhoto and Aperture don't already anyway?
  • Reply 68 of 71
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Oh, you have to make sure non of your friends are using FB or Instagram. If they do and mentioned about you and have your pictures in FB or Instagram, FB knows about you all right.



    Select your friends carefully. First question: do you use FB or Instagram? If yes, you're out.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I am pleased to say that Facebook doesn't know a single thing about me, and they never will.



    As for Instagram, well good for them. If somebody can make an app and then sell their company for a billion dollars a short time afterwards, then I'd say that's a decent achievement. Personally, I don't use Instagram, as I'm not a retarded hipster and I'm not into taking crappy photos and then applying all sorts of dumb filters to them. But to each their own.



  • Reply 69 of 71
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    You have to remember what FB wants. It's not the Instagram business. It's the zillions of pictures on there. FB will do picture mine and tag all of them for ad purpose.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Exactly. What does Instagram do that iPhoto and Aperture don't already anyway?



  • Reply 70 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post


    If you put you pictures online anywhere without a password, they are effectively public domain, and you lose ownership.



    That's not true. Not even close.



    Putting a picture online without a password would be like making a large painting and hanging it from the front of your house. The fact that others can see it does not mean that you lose your copyright.



    Now, most of the major online services have something in their terms of service that makes it impossible for you to sue them for copyright infringement, but the mere act of posting does NOT waive your rights.



    Similarly, if you have a FB account that no one can see without your permission and close down the access rights as much as possible, your rights are exactly the same as if your account is wide open.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Similarly, if you have a FB account that no one can see without your permission and close down the access rights as much as possible, your rights are exactly the same as if your account is wide open.



    Just an FYI:



    "Facebook profiles are now set by default to let apps obtain all data from a user's friends except sexual preference, religion and political views. That means, for instance, even if a user has set his or her birthday, location and "online status" messages to be private to friends, their friends can approve an app that will also obtain that information."
Sign In or Register to comment.