Availability of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pros constrained ahead of redesigned models

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Speak for yourself. If I didn't want an optical drive, I would just buy a Mac Air. I use the optical drive weekly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Skinny 17 Pro, please. I rarely, and I mean rarely use the optical drive in my 17-Inch MBP.

Kill the optical. Kill the platter-based drive.

Gimme.*

* Insert 'Shut Up And Take My Money' Fry here.

• Reply 42 of 169
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Can't see the point rolling out the new MBP model by model over a few months. If everyone knows a new design 13" OR 17" is in the pipeline sales of the existing models will drop off a cliff. Better to go with a full launch and make a splash about the Mac for a change.
  • Reply 43 of 169
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Eliminating the Mac Pro would also be somewhat of a blow to OS X server as the Mac Pro was also configured as server model. That would leave the Mac Mini as the only dedicated hardware to run OS X server.

The Mini is powerful enough as a server:

http://www.macminiserver.com/can-a-m...traffic-sites/

http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

"For the ultimate in performance, choose dual 256GB solid-state drives. This configuration performs up to 60 percent faster in file server tests than a quad-core Xserve with internal SAS drives."

According to Mac Mini Colo, Apple calls the Mini their most popular server system:

http://www.macminicolo.net/faq.html

13 Watts idle and uses up 1/30th the space of the Pro.

None of this should come as a shock to anyone. Personal computers have been around for just 30 years and we've seen them go from giant boxes that could only run basic software to pocket devices that are hundreds of times faster.

We can't hold onto old form factors as if they are the only way or even the best way to build computers. Sure people complain when there's a shift just like people did moving to the sealed-in batteries on the laptops but now we have longer-lasting laptops than ever before and no bulging battery compartments.

When the new MBPs arrive, people will lament the missing optical drive, FW800 and ethernet ports, some might even dislike the entry model having integrated graphics but the mourning will quickly pass.
  • Reply 44 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think Apple is going to produce the MacPro line since there are a lot of professionals in the audio and video production that have been clamoring for it and they won't abandon them since that is a big enough market for them to continue. They also have users buying the MacPro for low cost server applications. I personally think that they might actually change the form factor, which they should have done years ago. I think they should have made it a rack mounted unit as optional or standard where they just simply make it to be used sideways.

I REALLY hope you are correct. I am one of those people.
  • Reply 45 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

"For the ultimate in performance, choose dual 256GB solid-state drives. This configuration performs up to 60 percent faster in file server tests than a quad-core Xserve with internal SAS drives."

According to Mac Mini Colo, Apple calls the Mini their most popular server system:

None of this should come as a shock to anyone. Personal computers have been around for just 30 years and we've seen them go from giant boxes that could only run basic software to pocket devices that are hundreds of times faster.

We can't hold onto old form factors as if they are the only way or even the best way to build computers. Sure people complain when there's a shift just like people did moving to the sealed-in batteries on the laptops but now we have longer-lasting laptops than ever before and no bulging battery compartments.

When the new MBPs arrive, people will lament the missing optical drive, FW800 and ethernet ports, some might even dislike the entry model having integrated graphics but the mourning will quickly pass.

i dont think you know what youre talking about. for AV professionals many of those higs are necessities for which there are no easy replacements.
  • Reply 46 of 169
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

They haven't killed the iPod classic yet - but we all know it's coming as soon as they push out a 128GB iPod touch.

Apple is only interested in what's best for Apple. If the Mac Pro doesn't sell well anymore they will ditch it even if it means leaving customers high and dry. They've done it before and will do it again.

Yes and no. Apple makes decision based on sales, for sure. They are not interested in spending much time and effort on a loosing proposition. As Apple gets bigger what represents a loosing proposition becomes somewhat unclear... BUT, its not JUST the money / sales. There is something about keeping an important user base happy. I don't know this for a fact but I imagine Apple has an interest in seeing as many Macs as possible in places where people who may influence other people work. Musicians, graphic artists, film makers are important as they keep the notion that Mac's are for creatives, alive. I think the general population, creative or not, likes the idea that creatives use the same gear as they do. I think there is a halo effect that I am not sure Apple wants to loose.

I am just guessing, but I think the MP is going to stick around for a while.

Having said that - a top specced iMac is no slouch and will be sufficient for a lot of heavy lifting out there.
  • Reply 47 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So what kind of time frame are we expecting for the new machines? (I have't read the article or the forum posts yet so if this has been answered then please ignore.)
  • Reply 48 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loveandcapture View Post

EVERY recording studio and production lab I've been in has many Mac Pro towers integrated.

And if you add up all those sales together, in the aggregate, they amount to enough for Apple to, Well, to ignore them completely, because they don't add up to much of anything for a company the size of Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I have. Windows is not an option. That leaves me with either A) building a hackintosh, B) waiting for the new iMac or C) waiting for Apple to officially kill or refresh the Mac Pro. So the problem for me is the "not knowing". I can't pull the trigger on a new iMac until I know for certain what Apple will do with the Mac Pro.

Have you considered Linux?
  • Reply 50 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If nothing else, Apple cares about iOS development, and some developers will want a proper workstation.

Tell me what iOS development tasks cannot be done on an iMac.
  • Reply 51 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Musicians, graphic artists, film makers are important as they keep the notion that Mac's are for creatives, alive. I think the general population, creative or not, likes the idea that creatives use the same gear as they do.

The general population neither knows nor cares what sort of machines are used by "creatives".

Indeed, they don't even know anything of the production process. All they know is Britney Spears and Tom Cruise. The real fanatics know the manufacturer of those people's clothes.

But knowing the brand names of the machines that are used to record their performances? I doubt it.

If it were otherwise, Marshall and Ampeg would be consumer brands, but they ain't.
  • Reply 52 of 169
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    My biggest hope is for the 13" to really earn that pro moniker with discreet graphics and a quad core CPU like its older siblings. Without the optical drive they have a lot more space for thermal dissipation and extra battery capacity to make up for the higher power draw.

Between Ivy Bridge, new chassis design, and retina displays, it seems one thing or another is going to be a letdown like always in the face of all the rumors and hyperbole. My bet is on the first two, and retina-ish displays will come later.
  • Reply 53 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

My biggest hope is for the 13" to really earn that pro moniker with discreet graphics and a quad core CPU like its older siblings. Without the optical drive they have a lot more space for thermal dissipation and extra battery capacity to make up for the higher power draw.

Between Ivy Bridge, new chassis design, and retina displays, it seems one thing or another is going to be a letdown like always in the face of all the rumors and hyperbole. My bet is on the first two, and retina-ish displays will come later.

If Apple does keep the 13" MB Pro around, I honestly don't think it will get a discreet GPU. If anything, the biggest things differentiating the 13" MB Pro and the 13" MB Air is that the Pro machine will have a quad-core processor and be expandable to 8GB of RAM.
  • Reply 54 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

If Apple does keep the 13" MB Pro around, I honestly don't think it will get a discreet GPU. If anything, the biggest things differentiating the 13" MB Pro and the 13" MB Air is that the Pro machine will have a quad-core processor and be expandable to 8GB of RAM.

Well, I guess I would still be happy with that, Ivy Bridge graphics are around 40-60% better (than the HD300 in Sandy) anyway. The quad would be more important for most people.
  • Reply 55 of 169
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes and no. Apple makes decision based on sales, for sure. They are not interested in spending much time and effort on a loosing proposition. As Apple gets bigger what represents a loosing proposition becomes somewhat unclear... BUT, its not JUST the money / sales. There is something about keeping an important user base happy. I don't know this for a fact but I imagine Apple has an interest in seeing as many Macs as possible in places where people who may influence other people work. Musicians, graphic artists, film makers are important as they keep the notion that Mac's are for creatives, alive. I think the general population, creative or not, likes the idea that creatives use the same gear as they do. I think there is a halo effect that I am not sure Apple wants to loose.

I am just guessing, but I think the MP is going to stick around for a while.

Having said that - a top specced iMac is no slouch and will be sufficient for a lot of heavy lifting out there.

As a pro user myself I hope you're right but I honestly don't think that this kind of sentiment even comes into Apple's equation. It's all about the numbers. If the MP doesn't sell in sufficient numbers they will axe it. Ok they'll probably spin some crap about how you don't need one anymore coz the MBP or iMac have pro-like specs these days. Apple is a machine these days.

They killed Xserve leaving a lot of people high and dry. Many of those companies would have to go back to Windows Server and retrain their staff.
  • Reply 56 of 169
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Marvin I know this well. I have a Mac Mini server myself.

I have an older model that has a core 2 cpu and it works well for my needs but they are modest. I don't know how a MM server would work for someone who has more demanding needs.

The lack of other options doesn't seem reassuring to me and I'm am relying on Apple to continue OSx server and a line of servers to run it.
  • Reply 57 of 169
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I want a 15" Pro/Air with 8gb of RAm and at least a quad i7. 500gb+ would be nice as well... ( Need to be able to run Windows as a VM)

Keeping my fingers crossed.....
  • Reply 58 of 169
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:

I wonder if a quad-cluster of MacMinis 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 8 GB memory each and Dual 256 GB solid state drives. The cost is certainly lower than a comparable (in most regards) MacPro and the computing power is greater as well. Furthermore, with the flexibility of a server rather than a dedicated workstation, a workgroup could likely be as productive without the high costs of providing everyone a dedicated MacPro workstation.

How did this become a discussion of the MacPro? I thought only MacBook Pro was mentioned in the article.

Anyway, I am happily waiting for:

15" Retina Display MacBook Pro

quad-core Intel Ivy Bridge core-i7 3770T (2.5 GHz)

8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM memory

512GB solid state drive

AMD Radeon 7000 series (28 nm process) (4k resolution capable)
  • Reply 59 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I want a 15" Pro/Air with 8gb of RAm and at least a quad i7. 500gb+ would be nice as well... ( Need to be able to run Windows as a VM)

It will no doubt have i5 Ivy Bridge chips as a baseline. Those will usually be toe to toe with the current i7's, and the new i7's will be faster still (Intel really needs a better naming scheme). 8GB stock at the same price? I would bet dollars to donuts it won't happen, look how reluctant Apple has been moving from 2 to 4 across all its lines. 500GB could happen.
  • Reply 60 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The lack of other options doesn't seem reassuring to me and I'm am relying on Apple to continue OSx server and a line of servers to run it.

There are even fewer people who need OS X Server than need a Mac Pro. OS X Server is essentially a set of management tools for people who don't know anything about UNIX. Technically speaking, any Mac can be configured as a server if you know your way around the command line. However, if you do know your way around the command line and you need a UNIX server you would probably not choose OS X anyway. Apple should kill OS X Server. It is by far the most useless product they sell since they don't make any rack mounted hardware.