Google tops Apple, Facebook in popularity poll

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

An ABC News/Washington Post poll released last week showed that of the top four U.S. tech companies; Google, Apple, Facebook and Twitter, the ubiquitous internet search engine took the crown as "most favorable."

Pulling from a random phone sampling of 1,007 U.S. adults, the poll saw 82 percent of respondents view Google in a favorable light compared to Apple's 74 percent. Facebook and Twitter trailed the pack with 58 percent and 34 percent, respectively.

Google has followed up its vast lead in internet search and advertising with online and mobile technology software, among an array of other initiatives.

"Google has followed up its vast lead in internet search and advertising with onlineand mobile technology software, among an array of other initiatives," pollsters found. The report goes on to note Google's side initiatives like Project Glass, the augmented reality heads-up display device currently in beta testing, add to the company's popularity.

Interestingly, Apple's traditionally fervent proponents were outdone by Google supporters as 53 percent of those polled exhibited a strong favorable impression of the Mountain View, Calif., company. The number is 16 points higher than Apple's score of 37 percent. Only 5 percent found Google to be somewhat unfavorable, compared to Apple's 8 percent. Both companies received a 4 percent share of strongly unfavorable responses.

Speaking to the demographics polled, 31 percent of respondents felt unprepared to pass judgement on Twitter while Google, Apple and Facebook were more well-known and only saw 10 percent, 14 percent and 14 percent of "no opinion" responses, respectively.

Among households making $100,000 and above, the favorability of both Google and Apple skyrocketed to 93 and 91 percent, respectively. Of those under 30 years old, the numbers remain steady for Google with 92 percent, but Apple takes a hit and drops down to 81 percent.

The affluent find Google and Apple most favorable, though among young adults the points skew toward the search giant, leaving the iPhone maker 34 points behind.

The survey was conducted by Langer Research Associates on behalf of ABC News and has a 3.5 point margin of error.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    And? So what?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Most common people don't even know that Google is ruthless marketing and advertising company. Nor do they realize that Google is involved in Android. They look at Google as just a nice free search engine start up company funded by venture capital. I seriously doubt even 1% of people polled know anything about Project Glass or the driverless car stuff. I don't think that would have anything to do with this poll.

Apple, on the other hand is sometimes viewed as a pricy elitist luxury item maker which has the potential to be off putting to some lower/middle income people. You know the people who answer the landline phone around dinner time. Most savvy tech people only have cell phones which are off limits to random calling.

Edit: Also funny how Microsoft didn't make the cut of Top Four Tech Companies.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

And? So what?

"Told you! Apple's not on top, so it doesn't matter to you Apple fanboys, and with Google in charge, it's even worse for you people!"

• Reply 4 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Most common people don't even know that Google is ruthless marketing and advertising company. Nor do they realize that Google is involved in Android. They look at Google as just a nice free search engine start up company funded by venture capital. I seriously doubt even 1% of people polled know anything about Project Glass or the driverless car stuff. I don't think that would have anything to do with this poll.

Apple, on the other hand is sometimes viewed as a pricy elitist luxury item maker which has the potential to be off putting to some lower/middle income people. You know the people who answer the landline phone around dinner time. Most savvy tech people only have cell phones which are off limits to random calling.

In the higher income brackets both Apple and Google were viewed very favorably, but Google was still number one even in that group.

I am a bit surprised with the results tho, probably because so many posts here state people don't trust Google. It would appear that's not necessarily true.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Until people realize Google sells your Internet usage behavior for a living.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Until people realize Google sells your Internet usage behavior for a living.

Unfortunately nearly everyone else does too including Facebook, Twitter, LinkdIn and even Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    what a bunch of non-sense.

Pro-Google propaganda BS.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Told you! Apple's not on top, so it doesn't matter to you Apple fanboys, and with Google in charge, it's even worse for you people!"

They need U on the googly board.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Unfortunately nearly everyone else does too? ?even Apple.

You're always good for some evidence. Present some!
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

You're always good for some evidence. Present some!

I'm just assuming you meant Apple, but if you need the others too let me know.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=64
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:

Yep, I'm an idiot. Thinking to myself, "Apple doesn't have search, they don't have analytics, they don't have ads?"

Guess that shows how much of an impact iAd has had on me.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:

Oh c'mon, to put Apple in the same league as Google and Facebook in monetizing user base data for advertising purposes makes you lose all credibility (assuming you had some to begin with).

Apple's revenue from this probably doesn't even register in their EPS to the fourth decimal point.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh c'mon, to put Apple in the same league as Google and Facebook in monetizing user base data for advertising purposes makes you lose all credibility (assuming you had some to begin with).

Apple's revenue from this probably doesn't even register in their EPS to the fourth decimal point.

You obviously didn't read the post I linked if you think I put Apple in the same league as Google. That doesn't mean they wouldn't like to be. They're really trying to make their advertising efforts successful.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    So Google has more blind sheep than Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

In the higher income brackets both Apple and Google were viewed very favorably, but Google was still number one even in that group.

I am a bit surprised with the results tho, probably because so many posts here state people don't trust Google. It would appear that's not necessarily true.

I would like to read the questions asked and how the poller led the respondent with suggestive conclusions. The reason I doubt it was unbiased is because of the remark:

Quote:

pollsters found. The report goes on to note Google's side initiatives like Project Glass, the augmented reality heads-up display device currently in beta testing, add to the company's popularity.

The interviewer would have had to ask about that in some misleading way because almost no one outside of the extreme tech geek would mention that or answer that way especially that this was a factor in their rating of Google. Not without heavy persuasion.

"How would you answer? Very strong, moderately strong or strong, that Google's Project Glass adds to their popularity?"
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:

I would like to read the questions asked and how the poller led the respondent with suggestive conclusions. The reason I doubt it was unbiased is because of the remark:

The interviewer would have had to ask about that in some misleading way because almost no one outside of the extreme tech geek would mention that or answer that way especially that this was a factor in their rating of Google. Not without heavy persuasion.

It was on TV broadcasts the other night. I was shocked to see a minute or so spent spent on discussing the HUD glasses on the nightly news. I think quite a few people probably know about it.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So what was their methodology, and only 1,007 polled? Sounds like a ridiculously small sampling.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti

So Google has more blind sheep than Apple!

This is precisely the attitude of why some people don't like or want anything to do with Apple. By the time you're done looking down your nose at everyone else assuming they're all morons chastising them for their opinions you'd have realized that given the sample size a handful of people make up the difference between them; so the take away here is nothing other than big often used tech companies are popular. No where is a popularity relevant to anything. Grow up children.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So what was their methodology, and only 1,007 polled? Sounds like a ridiculously small sampling.

The article claims the margin of error was only 3.5%
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Someone wake me up when the new Apple whatever arrives--zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote: