Google tops Apple, Facebook in popularity poll

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Baaa...baaa...baaa...humbug!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So Google has more blind sheep than Apple!

• Reply 22 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It was on TV broadcasts the other night. I was shocked to see a minute or so spent spent on discussing the HUD glasses on the nightly news. I think quite a few people probably know about it.

The poll was not done the other night.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

The article claims the margin of error was only 3.5%

Out of tens of millions of users? Rubbish!
  • Reply 24 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The poll was not done the other night.

I have no idea if the poll was done before or after the national media ran with the Google Glass news. I'd expect after or even the media wouldn't have been aware of it to mention the question.

Or perhaps the mention of the Google Glass project was inserted after the poll was done to help explain the results and it was never raised in the poll questionnaire in the first place.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Out of tens of millions of users? Rubbish!

http://stats.org/in_depth/faq/margin_of_error.htm
  • Reply 26 of 67
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    They only polled 1007 people. This sort of poll is worth nothing. Not a large enough sample size. I can poll 1000 people and depending on the demographics and location, I can get a survey that says the exact opposite. Polls are easy to manipulate.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Unfortunately nearly everyone else does too including Facebook, Twitter, LinkdIn and even Apple.

Slight difference in scale between iAd and Google. Close to 100% of Google's revenue comes from tracking what we do on the Internet. iAd was an "f-you" from Steve Jobs to Google more than a way to generate lots of new revenue.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

They only polled 1007 people. This sort of poll is worth nothing. Not a large enough sample size. I can poll 1000 people and depending on the demographics and location, I can get a survey that says the exact opposite. Polls are easy to manipulate.

The demographics and random sampling is how they arrived at the 3.5% margin-of-error. What that means is another poll would result in the same findings, within 3.5%.

Read the linked article I supplied in the previous post which explains the process very well and isn't too hard to understand.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

I have no idea if the poll was done before or after the national media ran with the Google Glass news. I'd expect after or even the media wouldn't have been aware of it to mention the question.

Or perhaps the mention of the Google Glass project was inserted after the poll was done to help explain the results and it was never raised in the poll questionnaire in the first place.

The final results tally was posted 4/1 so I would expect the polling to have been done perhaps a week earlier. I also saw the news clip and it was literally 2 days ago. The article says that Project Glass contributed to the popularity rating. Your suggestion that even the media wouldn't have known earlier is even stronger indication that the question was a plant.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:

The final results tally was posted 4/1 so I would expect the polling to have been done perhaps a week earlier. I also saw the news clip and it was literally 2 days ago. The article says that Project Glass contributed to the popularity rating. Your suggestion that even the media wouldn't have known earlier is even stronger indication that the question was a plant.

I'm with you. I think Google Glass was used for the article when the poll released as an example of projects that excite consumers and contribute to Google's popularity rather than included in the poll questions.

EDIT: A re-read of this article implies much the same. The report mentioned Google Glass, not the poll.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:

I'm with you. I think Google Glass was used for the article when the poll released as an example of projects that excite consumers and contribute to Google's popularity rather than included in the poll questions.

Can't agree with that. The pollsters were fed that excitement prior to the polling in order to skew the results, is what I was thinking.

This is what started the news 4 days ago

Google co-founder Sergey Brin caused a stir at an event in San Francisco last night, sporting a prototype of the company's “Project Glass”
  • Reply 32 of 67
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    This doesn't surprise me in the least. Google is the dictionary definition of a Trojan Horse. [an unqualified remark] I wonder where they'd be if Apple & Netscape didn't put Google search as their default browser search engine.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:

Can't agree with that. The pollsters were fed that excitement prior to the polling in order to skew the results, is what I was thinking.

This is what started the news 4 days ago

Google co-founder Sergey Brin caused a stir at an event in San Francisco last night, sporting a prototype of the company's ?Project Glass?

But the poll was taken between March 28th and April 1st. before the Google Glass project was even announced on April 4th, so how was it used to "feed the excitement"?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:

EDIT: A re-read of this article implies much the same. The report mentioned Google Glass, not the poll.

Perhaps but the report is supposed to be about the poll. It smacks of paid survey.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

But the poll was taken between March 28th and April 1st. before the Google Glass project was even announced on April 4th, so how was it used to "feed the excitement"?

Exactly! A thoroughly planned advertising campaign
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

Exactly! A thoroughly planned advertising campaign

Planned by who and for what?

ABC is owned by Disney who's also holds a place on Apple's Board and has as it's biggest shareholder Mrs. Jobs IIRC. Are you saying ABC is secretly working behind the scenes against Apple, and they're really in Google's back pocket? Pretty darn doubtful, don't you think?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Planned by who and for what?

ABC is owned by Disney who's also holds a place on Apple's Board and has as it's biggest shareholder Mrs. Jobs IIRC. Are you saying ABC is secretly working behind the scenes against Apple, and they're really in Google's back pocket? Pretty darn doubtful, don't you think?

The whole thing is disguised as 'News' and an unbiased "Survey" but they weren't clever enough to make it look like an actual coincidence. There are probably a number of unwittingly clueless dupes involved here. You too seem to be among the hoodwinked.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:

The whole thing is disguised as 'News' and an unbiased "Survey" but they weren't clever enough to make it look like an actual coincidence. There are probably a number of unwittingly clueless dupes involved here. You too seem to be among the hoodwinked.

So who really planned the poll and what was it's purpose? Apparently you don't think it was done at the behest of ABC News and the Washington Post, and they had to be in on this subterfuge by claiming it was theirs.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

So who really planned the poll and what was it's purpose? Apparently you don't think it was done at the behest of ABC News and the Washington Post, and they had to be in on this subterfuge by claiming it was theirs.

Someone needs to explain how Google's fingerprints got on the murder weapon.

Report is altered after the fact?

Pollsters got corrupted?

Someone got paid off?

I don't know, but it fails the smell test.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Told you! Apple's not on top, so it doesn't matter to you Apple fanboys, and with Google in charge, it's even worse for you people!"

Is there a Google Insider site I can go to post trollish comments ? Or do people even care enough to start a web site that follows the news and rumors about Google closely and let people make comments?

And that is the point - most people just know Google as a search company that pops up annoying ads they tolerate to get search results or a free Gmail account. They tolerate beta products because they are free. Some might notice the Google logo popup on their smartphone that was made by HTC or Samsung, but beyond that they are pretty oblivious to what Google does and how they use the all data they gather.

Apple on the other hand is out there selling products that are very innovative and complete, and they are not free, And some Apple customers are so loyal and like the Apple so much they will camp out inline to be the first to buy one, or start a website, or numerous websites, devoted to the company, its products and news, rumors, and stories about the company. Apple also attracts millions of other customers who like Apple's products and see enough value in them to continue to buy them. By the very nature of human beings, this success and public affection generates a group of outsiders who have a strong dislike Apple for any number of reasons, most not very objective or logical, but just plain human ego hatred.

Google doesn't generate this kind of hate, because its relationship with its customers is fairly shallow and usually free and accessible over the web. Google does not inspire much negative emotion. Google is like taking your sister to the prom because you could not get a date. You really lust after Apple, the hottest girl at the dance, but she doesn't even know your name and will never dance with you, so in your petty way you hate her and like to say mean things about her behind her back. Your sister is at least a female and not too homely, and you love her as a sister, and taking her was no cost to you (free). but you certainly aren't looking to sneak out to under the bleachers with her and you won't be bragging to your friends about your date with her. But they better not say anything mean about her, because after all, she is your sister.

It's OK, one day Google will perfect robots who will date you. They will generate one to match you based on all the search queries they have tracked about you. If you can tolerate all the ads that popup.