Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor updates roll out

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.

So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?

Seriously doubt it.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, I have Motion 5.0 and it was not purchased from the App Store. It was previously updated via Software Update. Apple has no upgrade path for transitioning to the App Store, evidently.

Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.

Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.

That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mKunert View Post

So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?

Seriously doubt it.

Are you an idiot? He's saying there is a paradigm shift in video editing happening and anyone saying there isn't is deluded.

He used his Men in Black cred to highlight that he's not just some teenage fanboy in love with Apple products.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

LOL... NOT!!

Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.

• Reply 27 of 39
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do.

Well Adobe added a magnetic timeline-like feature to Photoshop 6 so it looks like they might be starting already.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.

Yes having crows for their 3 meals.

To those who had jumped ship - too bad.

They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.

Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuckFuddy View Post

LOL... NOT!!

Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.

For your consideration, the history of the Final Cut Pro Studio "box set"

Went as high as FCP 7, Motion 4, and Compressor 3.5, plus a bunch of stuff that's been EOLed.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.

Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
    Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store

Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3?
    Very weird.

Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.

Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.

True, but monitoring for broadcast and multicam work has not been smooth, even if they had been added features months ago. If this update does fix the quirks there that will be important, because really those two important aspects have not been solved to date. Plus, the last update didn't really address enough how it behaves with long form content, so if Apple finally puts THAT together, under "overall performance and stability" that would be a very good development.

I'm rooting for FCPX, not against it. OTOH, the last Logic Pro and Aperture (especially) updates were two steps forward and one and a half back, so let's see how this goes.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
    Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store

Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3?
    Very weird.

Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?

I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.

A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.

It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.

A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.

It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.

Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?

Yes there was an App Store then.

Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharleyClose View Post

After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Same problem here.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Yes there was an App Store then.

Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.

No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.

Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.

Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.

Glad you got it sorted. I went through multiple emails with support. In the end, I found the Spotlight solution on the net.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.

It's not a delusion, sorry. All of this fanboyish talk of "new paradigms" and nonsense like that is just a bunch of words with no actual meaning.