Samsung's 7" Galaxy Tab 2 tablet coming to US in April, 10" version in May

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Samsung is looking to provide an update challenge to Apple's iPad on its home turf with the U.S. release of the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 on April 22 and the 10-inch Galaxy Tab 2 on May 11.

The South Korean consumer electronics manufacturer announced on Wednesday release dates for its 2012 tablet lineup, MacNN reports. Samsung had previously teased the devices at the Mobile World Congress in February.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has been stripped down to compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire for the low-end market. The 7-inch tablet will cost $250 and includes dual-core 1GHz processors, Android 4.0 and a three-megapixel rear camera. Preorders for the device begin on Thursday ahead of an April 22 launch.

An early review of the tablet notes that the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 "performs gracefully" while costing half as much as the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, while doubting whether consumers will choose the device over the Kindle Fire.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 | Credit: MacNN

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will cost $50 less than its predecessor when it arrives on May 13. Both 7-inch and 10-inch tablets will function as infrared remote controls by way of the Smart Remote Android app by Peel.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 | Credit: MacNN

Samsung is also set to release the Galaxy Player 4.2 on May 13. The $200 iPod touch competitor will utilize a single-core processor and feature 8GB of storage, a two-megapixel rear camera, FM radio and GPS.

Galaxy Player 4.2 | Credit: MacNN

Though the Galaxy Tab series was one of the earliest competitors to Apple's iPad, it has seen limited success. Even in Samsung's home market of Korea, where the company has traditionally enjoyed high brand loyalty from consumers, the iPad has outperformed the Galaxy Tab. Some estimates have pegged the iPad's market share in Korea between 70 and 80 percent.

Apple specifically targeted the Galaxy Tab in its legal battle against Samsung and succeeded in winning injunctions against the device in some regions. Samsung subsequently tweaked the device and re-released it as the Galaxy Tab 10.1N.

Samsung has also responded by turning the lawsuits into a selling point for its tablets. Late last year, advertisements for the Galaxy Tab began billing it as "the tablet Apple tried to stop."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0??

My boyfriend has a Samsung phone with Android. It's a piece of shit. He can't wait to replace it with the newest iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Oooh, ooh I want one!

/
  • Reply 3 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Oooh, ooh I want one!

/

The evolution of the sarcasm tag...
    <sarcasm> </sarcasm>

/sarcasm

/s

/

Eventually everything will be assumed sarcasm unless otherwise wrapped in <reverence> </reverence> tags.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Love how on their website they throw the word "innovative" around an awful lot. I would love to see someone hack the site and replace every "innovative" word with "duplicative". That would be a sweet site. ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 53
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

<sarcasm> </sarcasm>

/sarcasm

/s

/

Eventually everything will be assumed sarcasm unless otherwise wrapped in <reverence> </reverence> tags.

Thanks for the laugh! Hahahaha

On topic though, I don't know, the 7" Tab just doesn't look right for some reason... Bezel looks too big maybe not sure.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

<sarcasm> </sarcasm>

/sarcasm

/s

/

Nice!
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

On topic though, I don't know, the 7" Tab just doesn't look right for some reason... Bezel looks too big maybe not sure.

Cooked by Fire is my guess.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    <reverence>I STILL want one!</reverence>

Quote:

<sarcasm> </sarcasm>

/sarcasm

/s

/

• Reply 9 of 53
    Or it could be that awkward 16:9 ratio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Thanks for the laugh! Hahahaha

• Reply 10 of 53
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    Quote:

For about five minutes, until we start using <reverence> </reverence> tags sarcastically / ironically.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Ummm... neither of these Samsung products look like there're gonna stick to a wall... NEXT!

Apple isn't likely to change their prices, but if they were to, it would bollox up this rollout something terrible.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    7" Galaxy Tab 2? I could have sworn this was last year's news... too bad for Samsung if it isn't...
  • Reply 13 of 53
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    "Apple specifically targeted the Galaxy Tab in its legal battle against Samsung and succeeded in winning injunctions against the device in some regions. Samsung subsequently tweaked the device and re-released it as the Galaxy Tab 10.1N."

Actually, it was only one region.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the Engadget review was pretty plain: it's a stripped down version of the latest 7" Galaxy tab solely intended to match the Kindle Fire, but $50 more. ok but nothing special.

Samsung's business model is the classic 'blanket the market' approach, with a model of everything they make - TV, phones, refrigerators, cameras, whatever - for every segment of those product markets, low end to high end. and overall it's working good for them, with growing sales and good profits these days. while many others, like Sony, are struggling.

in this case tho, it's just one more small black tablet on a store aisle full of them. without a compelling ecosystem to challenge even the Fire.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Still running "Android for tablets"?

• Reply 16 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

7" Galaxy Tab 2? I could have sworn this was last year's news... too bad for Samsung if it isn't...

Maybe with a 7" device, Samsung's attorneys can tell the difference between the Tab and the iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

<sarcasm> </sarcasm>

/sarcasm

/s

/

Perfect!

/r
  • Reply 18 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An early review of the tablet notes that the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 "performs gracefully"

Is that something like "sales are smooth"?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

in this case tho, it's just one more small black tablet on a store aisle full of them. without a compelling ecosystem to challenge even the Fire.

It has the Samsung brand name, which is well respected. WRT ecosystem, it can access all the major Android App Stores, along with all the major content providers, except Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    iluomoiluomo Posts: 25member
    You know, it's really weird, but I think I can see those icons just fine on that 7 inch screen. Just like I can on my 3.5 inch screen on my iPhone. Wow, that's just amazing!

Well, actually, it's not amazing, because the statement that 7 inchs is not the optimal size for viewing icons and content on a tablet (made by our former great leader - may he RIP... and I mean that sincerely) was huge load of BS.

I want a 7 inch iPad. It would be perfect for me. I would take it everywhere, which I will not do with the bulky 10 inch model.

Apple, I expect this by end of year. A 7" Galaxy Tab 1 or 2 or 73965 is no substitute for the real deal. Make it happen, Apple or else, well, I'll continue to not have what I want. And good GOD, man, what would this country be coming to if I, a member of the lord-god-king faction known as "The Consumer" didn't get what he wanted? Madness, I say, sheer madness.