New Apple TV, iPad 2 may be testbeds for Samsung's 32nm chip-making process

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

As long as Apple uses Samsung, Samsung knows exactly what Apple will use for hardware in the next 18 months of products. That is one of the reasons why Samsung is successful today.

Yep, Samsung wouldn't have a clue how to make 32nm chips - or anything else - without relying on Apples awesome chip making skillz and know-how.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

TSMC 28 nm does not have a problem, beside its late.

Pay more attention to news in the tech world. Good reason Nvidia was whining about the liabilities TSMC was creating. I don't blame them. When your shareholders are breathing down your neck, you'll be pushing to find a new supplier!

Quote:

The best case scenario is that Apple dual sources its SoCs to TSMC and Samsung.

As long as Apple uses Samsung, Samsung knows exactly what Apple will use for hardware in the next 18 months of products. That is one of the reasons why Samsung is successful today.

The strange thing with all this is all the reports that Apple got back test wafers from TSMC at two times last year (June/October).

Yes, Apple tried going to TSMC multiple times. And guess what? TSMC couldn't deliver!

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not bashing TSMC. But TSMC doesn't get any brownie points from me for being horrible at execution. If you're going to push a product, make sure you can follow through. Seriously, go do some more research. TSMC's spin department keeps insisting they have things under control, but notice: They haven't made any official announcements about having fixed all the teething issues.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    However to be honest Apple is probably one of the more aggressive companies when it comes to QC issues with new products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

This probably explains all of the interest from Apple when I returned my brand new ATV that I picked up when I got the new iPad (both were released the same day). The ATV worked fine for a couple of days and then developed a series of white flashes the got progressively worse. After trying everything that I knew to try, I phoned Apple Technical support and they confirmed that I had done everything I could and authorized a replacement back at the Apple store.

Well, it wasn't long after replacing the unit that I received a series of emails from Apple Technical Support requesting lots of information on what happened. This was followed up with a series of phone calls from another Apple tech group. As I had taken photos of the screen and had provided very detailed information on all models and s/n from all of my connected electronics (TV, stereo, etc.) they seemed quite happy.

I don't think I've ever had this much attention for a returned product before. The new ATV is working perfectly!

• Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

That's what I thought, they're testing out 32nm in smaller batches before the big ramp up for the next iPhone. That also fits in with the rumour of the power enhanced A5X variant for the next iphone, although I'm not sure with a screen that small it needs that extra GPU power. I'd rather keep the 543MP2 graphics cores and have them speed up the CPU cores instead.

With a die shrunk chip like this Apple can most likely speed up the clock considerably and still lower power. Further they can choose to speed up either the CPU's or the GPU's or both. I suspect we are indeed looking at the next iPhone chip.

The thing is, looking at the pics leads me to believe that it is more than just a simple die shrink. Maybe there are goodies in there yet to be explored.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

What processors is Apple currently using?

Current Models
    • iPad 3: A5X with dual core CPU, quad GPU and 1 GB RAM, Retina

• iPhone 4S: A5 with dual core CPU, dual GPU and 512 MB RAM, Retina

• iPad 2: A5 with dual core CPU, dual GPU and 512 MB RAM, Non-Retina

• aTV (3rd Gen): A5 with single core CPU, dual GPU and 512 MB, on 32nm process

• iPhone 4: A4 with single core CPU, single core GPU and 512 MB RAM, Retina

• iPod Touch 4G: A4 with single core CPU, single core GPU 256 MB RAM, Retina, slower clock speed

Previous-Gen Models
    • iPad 1: as iPhone 4, only 256 MB RAM

• aTV (2nd Gen): as iPhone 4, only 256 MB RAM

• iPhone 3G: ARM Cortex A8 (single core), single core GPU and 256 MB RAM

• iPod Touch 3G: as iPhone 3G, only 128 MB RAM (?), slower clock speed

I think the A5X is a dead end, it's too big, to power-hungry and too hot. The iPad 4 will get a quad-core CPU (Apple A6), quad-core GPU made one a shrinked process (28/32nm), and remain at 1 GB RAM.

Well that is a whole year off. As to the number of cores it is a function of what the best path to follow for increased performance in combination with reduced power. 32nm does allow for a considerable clock rate increase without loosing thermal performance so they could stay dual core and go that route for the next round. Staying at 1GB is tough though, like it or not it limits the apps that can be squeezed into a tablet.

Given all of the above I'd much rather see them attack the iPad flash storage problem more than anything else in iPad 4. That is double or more the flash capacity at each step in the lineup. The lack of storage space is a significant problem, more than anything else with iPad3

Quote:

The iPhone 5 will get a shrinked A5 (ie dual-core CPU and GPU on 28/32nm; and maybe some other slight improvements such as higher clock speed, improved CPU design or improved GPU, and definitely 1 GB RAM). Its most important advantage will be reduced power consumption to allow for the new iPhone 5 design and/or improved battery life. Only the iPhone 6 will also get the A6, but with dual-core graphics only.

I suspect you are right no the money here. The only issue is RAM, as they need a solution that can be done in a 3D stack. That should be possible but I would not be surprised to see them stay with 512MB which isn't to bad for a Phone.

Quote:

The iPod 5G should catch up with the iPhone 4S at least (if it will be released before the iPhone 5) or will also receive the shrinked A5 of the iPhone 5 (but with 512 MB RAM only), again with reduced clock speed, if it's being released alongside the iPhone 5.

Actually I'm expecting a completely refactored iPod 5G. In this sense something that is fully able to replace the current Touch and the Classic.