Famous designer says Apple will reveal 'revolutionary' product within 8 months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Didn't even notice the iPod zither- ya... He sucks.

I didn't see it either until I had studied the photo.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Acclaimed French designer Phillippe Starck revealed in a recent interview that, until his recent firing by the company, he had been working with Apple on a "revolutionary" new product that will be revealed within the next 8 months.

There, I fixed that for you.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This guy's design sense sucks.

He puts Bauhous inspired furniture in a Victorian setting. The couch on the right sticks out into the doorway. The one on the left blocks the radiator. The heat will ruin the leather, and it is facing nowhere.

The photo sucks too. It is overexposed in the bright parts, and underexposed elsewhere. The iPod column fades into the darkness behind it. The other one is in the middle of the floor, waiting to be bumped into.

How is this picture supposed to showcase the work of a talented designer?

Besides all that, he is a blabbermouth!

Everything you said about this photo is true. However, that photo is from Parrot not Starck. He did not set up the shot or take the photograph. All that badness is on Parrot. Besides, there is nothing wrong with modern juxtaposed with period design. Happens in Europe all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 180
    Quote:

He puts Bauhous inspired furniture in a Victorian setting. The couch on the right sticks out into the doorway. The one on the left blocks the radiator. The heat will ruin the leather, and it is facing nowhere.

The photo sucks too. It is overexposed in the bright parts, and underexposed elsewhere. The iPod column fades into the darkness behind it. The other one is in the middle of the floor, waiting to be bumped into.

Apple's next product will be 'Revolutionary'? maybe so. But the adjective that comes to mind as i look over this guys work is: Atrocious
  • Reply 25 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    http://x1brettstuff.blogspot.com/200...hat-feeds.html

Consequently, I'm not a fan of the design of this ironic citrus squeezer. And fruit juice is bad for you.
  • Reply 26 of 180
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Okay, that quote from Jobs' biography was literally a single paragraph in an over 600 page book. If the TV happens, awesome, but it's not the fact that it's a TV that will sell it. It's the content. iPod = iTunes. iPhone/iPad = App Store. This hypothetical TV is going to need some kind of blow-away, revolutionary content store much like the two previous examples in order to take off.

I have wondered ever since Apple started selling TV episodes on iTunes Store why they have not produced any original content to make iTunes Store stand out from Hulu, network websites, DVDs, etc. And then Hulu AND Netflix beat them to the punch.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    I don't believe a word he says. If it were true, and he really wanted to ever work with Apple again he would keep his fat French mouth shut.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Whatever it is, it's not a TV, for heaven's sake.
  • Reply 29 of 180
    Will Apple release a revolutionary product? I believe yes.

Will it be a TV? No. Will it take the place of a TV? Yes.

The thing people are not getting is that the term "Television" will be all but obsolete in two years after Apple introduces a product that becomes the primary entertainment and control hub in the living room. It will have a revolutionary impact not only on how we consume content at home, but how we interact with our homes in general. Television is to "iPanel" as radio is to "iPod".

These "Smart TVs" that companies are releasing will immediately seem 5 years old just by virtue of incorporating the term "TV" in their product.

This not blind fanboy praise. This is logical deduction based on the obvious.
  • Reply 30 of 180
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

This guy's design sense sucks. [snip] The [couch] on the left blocks the radiator.

I think I agree on his design sense. Those iPod column things look stupid, almost like free-standing ashtrays and you're guaranteed to trip over them when the lights are low. Also, the Ikea vases are fine (loads of Ikea in my house) but it doesn't exactly say "high-end," it says something more like "Now only $6.99."

But I think that couch on the left is at least a foot or two from the radiator.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I just checked out the Homepage of this guy, and spoke a prayer:

OMDG please don't let him have any influence on Apple design. Not now, not ever! Thanks! Amen!
  • Reply 32 of 180
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I don't believe a word he says. If it were true, and he really wanted to ever work with Apple again he would keep his fat French mouth shut.

LOL, yes, but he is French, after all! Always talking a big game and then never following through. (disclaimer: this is only meant as a harmless joke, not to offend any of our French friends visiting this web site!)
  • Reply 33 of 180
    mm5mm5 Posts: 1member
    The revolutionary product will most likely be the boat design that Jobs was working on before his death.

Starck has experience in this area
  • Reply 34 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Excellent post.

Must say for once I agreed with something ZZZ said. Although to be fair that is just one photograph ...

I find it odd if anything he says is true that he has opened his mouth. Also given we have Sir J, who needs him?
  • Reply 35 of 180
    sowardsoward Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Bauhaus
  • Reply 36 of 180
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Interesting, another product from the Jobs era. I wonder how long it'll be before we see something conceived entirely since Cook took over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

re-edit

Sir' Jony's toys without Jobs' insight or direction should be vedy interesting.

There appears to be a complete misunderstanding of "The Apple Problem." The Apple prior to Jobs's return did not lack for ideas. Its problem was that it had numerous ideas. Many were products. Many more were sinkholes of corporate resources.

When Jobs returned to Apple, he did the exact opposite of flood the company with ideas. He trimmed products and projects. He developed a focused corporate strategy. Most of the people who helped him carry-out his corporate strategy are with Apple now. They have no fewer ideas now than while Jobs was with us. We can only hope that they have as must discipline.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QRM View Post

...fails us. We have a rumour the Steve J had laid out a roadmap of products for the next four or five years, said to include some of the best yet. We have another rumour from a famous designer that Apple will release something revolutionary within 8 months. And the best we can imagine is an Apple-branded TV set or a redesigned iPhone?

I have no desire to rush out and replace my recently purchased ($1500) large screen or my relatively new iPhone 4S. The next iPhone will be evolutionary, regardless of how much more advanced. A TV set would be a stretch--the key is delivering the content, as the previous post notes. Unless Apple can replace the user interface in the TV AND the cable box at once or crack the content delivery issue without busting the home bandwidth limits (cable companies again!), what would be the point?

No, I expect something entirely new, radical, revolutionary and so intuitively obvious once we see and touch it...but something for which we mere mortals lack the imagination yet to see...

Finally a well thought and intelligent comment about this article!
  • Reply 38 of 180
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Interesting, another product from the Jobs era. I wonder how long it'll be before we see something conceived entirely since Cook took over.

Given that the gestation for the iPhone and iPad was around 5 - 7 years, then I'd say still a few years off.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Okay firstly it is Bauhaus, secondly those rooms are not Victorian but French Neo-Classisical from the Louis XV and XVI periods. Most importantly that "guy" is consider one of the most influential designers of the past 20 years and has designed furniture, home decorative objects and hotels. Mr Ive's most notably work is with Apple exclusively.

The only thing I agree with you on is the photograph used in this advertisement which was produced by the manufacturer not Mr. Starck, is not great and has poor styling.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I'm convinced they're going to make a new product for automobiles.

An Apple 7" touchscreen on the dashboard with a non-beta Siri and Maps would be killer. Have it automatically sync with iCloud and iMatch and pull anything from iOS devices in range and you've got a product no one can match.

Add to that the fact that current audio/map interfaces in cars ALL SUCK. Now you've got a winner.

I wonder if they would come out with some way to link to your current car speakers, or if they would have their own speakers that you would place around the inside of the car? Stupid question probably, but it's non-trivial for a person to install their own car audio equipment...