Software Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a MacPro, bought in 2007. In order to have ICloud, I recently loaded Mac OSX 10.7.3

Originally, I had the computer loaded with the ability to run Microsoft Office. I needed Word and Excel. After loading the new operating system, I can still see the Microsoft Word and Excel documents but cannot load them, or work wih them. I get a messge that Power PC applications are no longer supported.

I tried loading Microsoft Office:Mac again from the CD-Rom and get the same message.

Any idea how I can once again work with these Microsoft programs ? Something I need to download ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumbleweed02 View Post

I have a MacPro, bought in 2007. In order to have ICloud, I recently loaded Mac OSX 10.7.3

Originally, I had the computer loaded with the ability to run Microsoft Office. I needed Word and Excel. After loading the new operating system, I can still see the Microsoft Word and Excel documents but cannot load them, or work wih them. I get a messge that Power PC applications are no longer supported.

I tried loading Microsoft Office:Mac again from the CD-Rom and get the same message.

Any idea how I can once again work with these Microsoft programs ? Something I need to download ?

Thanks.

Since PowerPC apps are no longer supported you probably need to upgrade "office" to a newer version.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Since PowerPC apps are no longer supported you probably need to upgrade "office" to a newer version.

The Office documents can also be opened using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote from Apple. They are cheaper than upgrading to a modern version of Office.

In any case... your DOCUMENTS are still viable, but the APPLICATIONS that open them need to be updated. (10.7 will no longer run PPC coded Apps.)
  • Reply 3 of 6

Hey all!  First post here!! Another option you have might be to get Microsoft Office Starter, which is a free, ad supported program. :)

• Reply 4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by user me View Post

Hey all!  First post here!! Another option you have might be to get Microsoft Office Starter, which is a free, ad supported program. :)

Too bad it wasn't your last!... since starter isn't made for OSX ... and isn't available for purchase either ... it's Pre-Loaded Windows adware designed to annoy you into buying the full Office suite.

In short, it's NOT AN OPTION for someone running OSX.

• Reply 5 of 6
    You condescension is much appreciated. OP can install a windows partition and run it that way.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    user me wrote: »
    You condescension is much appreciated. OP can install a windows partition and run it that way.

Except that it's only available as pre-installed software on Windows PC's.

So it STILL isn't an option for the OP.

... And there's no need to express appreciation ... condescension is my default position.