Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Apple on Friday quickly quashed rumors that it is working on a "revolutionary" new project with acclaimed French designer Phillippe Starck.

A spokeswoman for Apple said in a statement to All Things D that the company is not working on any new products with Starck. They also declined to speculate what Starck may have been speaking about in a radio interview that gained attention earlier on Friday.

Gilles Dounes, editor in chief of French Mac site Macplus.net, suggested to AppleInsider that Starck was not speaking about a project with Apple, but rather a partnership with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs himself. Starck is said to have designed the yacht that Jobs was having built before he passed away last October.

Dounes said he saw a sketch of a yacht with a glass roof on Starck's website a few months ago. However, the image has since been removed.

Details on the yacht were revealed in Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs released last year. Jobs himself began designing the boat, which features 40-foot-long glass walls, in 2009, though it was not completed before his death.

Dounes also explained that Starck is known in France as someone who likes to create "buzz" for his projects and generate publicity. He was described as "quite the opposite" of Apple's more secretive design chief, Jony Ive.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dounes also explained that Starck is known in France as someone who likes to create "buzz" for his projects and generate publicity. He was described as "quite the opposite" of Apple's more secretive design chief, Jony Ive.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

That's a very kind way of saying that the man is a self-promoting publicity whore. Which he is.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Gimme a call when Apple starts working with Tony Stark
  • Reply 3 of 71
    The First Rule about working on Projects with Apple ....Is, you don't talk about Projects with Apple.

Tim Cook, Calling Phillippe Starck

"...Your Fired !!!" ....dial tone.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What was the exact quote from Apple's PR? If Apple was working with Starck then the comment "is not working on any new products with Starck." would be the truth albeit not the whole truth.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    LOL.... just as well.

The guy's design sensibilities seemed to excite a few folks here, but I thought his stuff was shabby and pedestrian. Certainly not the classy simplicity and elegance found in Apple's aesthetic.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL.... just as well.

The guy's design sensibilities seemed to excite a few folks here, but I thought his stuff was shabby and pedestrian. Certainly not the classy simplicity and elegance found in Apple's aesthetic.

French design in general is overrated. It doesn't impress me much at all.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

That's a very kind way of saying that the man is a self-promoting publicity whore. Which he is.

It would have saved you a lot of time if you would have just typed "He's French."
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Coming in December: the iYacht.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

LOL.... just as well.

Yeah, I won't say the guy's designs aren't striking, but they're not useful in the way I associate with Apple and modernism in general.

It is telling that the BBC's documentary series The Genius of Design notes that his juicer doesn't really work all that well, which I think should be the first objective of good design.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There, I disagree. Strongly. One Starck does not French design make.

You should get around more.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    That was a relief! I was beginning to get worried that Apple was loosing its bearings, by hiring some French loud mouth and sidelining Ive.

If Apple going to make a TV type device, I want it simple, easy to use like the iPad. Do not want to read 200 pages and then forget how it works. Between the TV, DVD player, I close to 100 buttons! Watch the clock blink 12:00.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Looks like a crappy day for Apple fans.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Yeah, I won't say the guy's designs aren't striking, but they're not useful in the way I associate with Apple and modernism in general.

It is telling that the BBC's documentary series The Genius of Design notes that his juicer doesn't really work all that well, which I think should be the first objective of good design.

Philippe Starck is more playful and artistic than functional, by nature. I think he is definitely more interested in form than function. Nothing wrong with that but it seems at odds with Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Say's the guy who has never even heard of Starck.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:

There, I disagree. Strongly. One Starck does not French design make.

You should get around more.

That's why I wrote in general, I wasn't just speaking about that one designer.

We can agree to disagree, but your last comment is simply wrong. It is fully possible for me to have gotten around plenty and still not be overly fond of French design. As a matter of fact, I'm not even that fond of French food, as there are many other types of food that I'd put ahead of French Food, like Italian, Indian, Chinese, American etc. French food doesn't even make my top 10 probably.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    I love the external HDD what he made with LaCie.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10445
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.

So everybody has to like French design, otherwise they're an arrogant American and poorly cultured?

Your statement reeks of ignorance. I've been around plenty, and I've also been to Europe more times than I can remember.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

That was a relief! I was beginning to get worried that Apple was loosing its bearings, by hiring some French loud mouth and sidelining Ive.

If Apple going to make a TV type device, I want it simple, easy to use like the iPad. Do not want to read 200 pages and then forget how it works. Between the TV, DVD player, I close to 100 buttons! Watch the clock blink 12:00.

With due respect, some of us don't need to crack open any manual to operate any TV, DVD, etc. And your math sucks too, BTW (100 buttons my eye).