Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There, I disagree. Strongly. One Starck does not French design make.

You should get around more.

Agree. Plus, nationalistic design *schools* have pretty much disappeared.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So everybody has to like French design, otherwise they're an arrogant American and poorly cultured?

Your statement reeks of ignorance. I've been around plenty, and I've also been to Europe more times than I can remember.

The much ballyhooed French v. US cultural gap has narrowed quite a bit, except in fashion, literature and entertainment.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American.

Xenophobia and ethnocentrism are a reality in all cultures and existed long before there was an America.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.

Pass me some Freedom Fries.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Gimme a call when Apple starts working with Tony Stark

Que the photoshop of Iron Man with an Apple logo where the ARC reactor is.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

With due respect, some of us don't need to crack open any manual to operate any TV, DVD, etc. And your math sucks too, BTW (100 buttons my eye).

You obviously don't own any of the DVD or Blu-Ray players or cable company remotes I've been exposed to in recent years. On my Blu-Ray player alone there's a Menu button and a Top Menu button (what's the difference? who knows) and 2 4-way switches (one wouldn't be enough) and 4 colored buttons in a row with four different shapes that I have never had reason to press. Seriously, with the exception of my Apple TV remote, none of the remotes I own are fully functional without consulting the manual. And if you have 3 remotes you likely have well over 100 buttons.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.

The guy is one of the most well known designers in the world, so it's irrelevant whether you've heard of him or not, and the fact that you haven't says more about than it does about him, as you seem to imply. Also, I'm sure a hell of a lot more people have heard of him than of you, so not sure what your point is, beyond your constant and predictable bashing of anyone and everything.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

so not sure what your point is

The point was quite simple. Nobody is going to go around mentioning some revolutionary product that they're working on with Apple, unless they are really stupid or full of BS. We all know how secretive Apple is.

It turns out that this guy was full of BS, since Apple denied that they are working on any products with this guy.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dounes also explained that Starck is known in France as someone who likes to create "buzz" for his projects and generate publicity. He was described as "quite the opposite" of Apple's more secretive design chief, Jony Ive.

Not just a blabbermouth, but a lying blabbermouth!
  • Reply 30 of 71
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.

Agreed.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Watch the clock blink 12:00.

People like you should worship at Apple's feet.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Look, if there's one thing on which we can agree it's that the Louvre director needs to come to Apple and ask them to fix the pyramid. You saw what Apple has done with the 5th Avenue Apple store and how much cleaner the glass looks there; maybe the citizens of Paris will hate the pyramid less if it's not so gaudied up with rivets and holding circles.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Que the photoshop of Iron Man with an Apple logo where the ARC reactor is.

Liquidmetal Man!
  • Reply 34 of 71
    So Tony Stark brags in the morning he's working on a design for Apple, by afternoon he has a contract from Samsung in front of him. Smart guy.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

People like you should worship at Apple's feet.

The people who designed the UX that often results in people not setting the clock should die in a fire.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    In the not so distant past, we would not have heard a yap from Apple on such trivial topics.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL.... just as well.

The guy's design sensibilities seemed to excite a few folks here, but I thought his stuff was shabby and pedestrian. Certainly not the classy simplicity and elegance found in Apple's aesthetic.

Yey! what a relieve!!

Although I didn't spend a second in believing that their could be any credability in Starcks claims. His design style is 180 degrees to what Sir Ives is doing. And I really can't stand any of his works. Neither older nor recent ones. Just doesn't fit my taste may he be worshipped or not.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    He's a lousy, unimaginative designer, but he certainly has an immense talent for self-aggrandizing and self-promotion.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:

In the not so distant past, we would not have heard a yap from Apple on such trivial topics.

They do seem to be getting more chatty lately. Tim and Steve seem to have different styles in that regard.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Brand protection, perhaps? Stock down 17 today on news of Starck's involvement? hehe