• Reply 41 of 71
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    iGlove?

• Reply 42 of 71
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Watch the clock blink 12:00.

At least his clock is accurate twice a day. Mines always a few seconds off.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

iGlove?

Bleh.... nintendo beat them to it long ago.

• Reply 44 of 71
    amtiamti Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Yeah, I won't say the guy's designs aren't striking, but they're not useful in the way I associate with Apple and modernism in general.

It is telling that the BBC's documentary series The Genius of Design notes that his juicer doesn't really work all that well, which I think should be the first objective of good design.

Absolutely. If it don't work well then it ain't worth shit to me, no matter how pretty it is.

If you can integrate form and function, like Ives can, then you got a winner.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Bleh.... nintendo beat them to it long ago.

That looks freaking sweet!

• Reply 46 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Looks like a crappy day for Apple fans.

How so?
  • Reply 47 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I love the external HDD what he made with LaCie.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10445

Really? I think it looks hideous and it badly affects the form factor of the device for no justifiable reason. I think the Apple design team could do a far better job than anything Starck could come up with.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How so?

Every day is a crappy day for Apple fans when trolls exist.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, if there's one thing on which we can agree it's that the Louvre director needs to come to Apple and ask them to fix the pyramid. You saw what Apple has done with the 5th Avenue Apple store and how much cleaner the glass looks there; maybe the citizens of Paris will hate the pyramid less if it's not so gaudied up with rivets and holding circles.

You do realize the Louvre Pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei who is Chinese American - not French.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You do realize the Louvre Pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei who is Chinese American - not French.

That doesn't stop the French from hating it.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I love the external HDD what he made with LaCie.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10445

He took a 50s styple chrome finish appliance cover and put it on the front and that's a stylish design?
  • Reply 52 of 71
    klonkyklonky Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's why I wrote in general, I wasn't just speaking about that one designer.

We can agree to disagree, but your last comment is simply wrong. It is fully possible for me to have gotten around plenty and still not be overly fond of French design. As a matter of fact, I'm not even that fond of French food, as there are many other types of food that I'd put ahead of French Food, like Italian, Indian, Chinese, American etc. French food doesn't even make my top 10 probably.

I would say that if you had any sort of "general" knowledge of design, French or otherwise, you would know who Phillipe Starck was...
  • Reply 53 of 71
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.

Yes, if you shop at Walmart in rural Nebraska you might have never heard of him.

For more expensive stuff, he is a very well known industrial designer, from furniture to consumer electronics to anything. In the designer world, he is as known as Jonathan Ives -- if not more, since Ives is mostly constrained to Apple the last decade or so.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.

While I strongly dislike said douchebag guy, who's pretty close to political power, scandals and anything that makes lots of money, but rather far from art and innovation imho, "some (guy) I've never heard about and coudn't care less about" just showcases how lame your art culture is.

Stark, as distasteful as he is, is one of the biggest designers of the last 30 years.

Of course, most Americans still seem have some difficulty placing France, Germany, China and Russia on a map of the world, and Vinci, Van Gogh and Rembrandt on a timeline, so I guess that if your "art history" references are based on Apple advertisement, it does make sense you only know Ives, who's one of the biggest designers of the last 20 years.

In short: your point is good, the reason you justify it with is bad.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    I am sure that he is working on all sorts of great designs. The only down side is that they not going to be exclusive to Apple but to Walmart and Target. What else should we expect from a fat faced lying Frenchman?
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That doesn't stop the French from hating it.

Actually, Pei's pyramid dates back to years when Apple's cube was not technically possible. Glass, also, has seen tremendous improvements over 30 years, you should remember that in 1983, year when Pei's pyramid was planned by the President, Apple released its amazing "1984" advertisement.

While the pyramid is not necessarily to my taste, it does showcase a sense of design and engineering that was revolutionary 30 years ago, just like the Apple II next to an iMac/Macbook Air looks like it comes from another galaxy, and still it was revolutionary at the time.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I am sure that he is working on all sorts of great designs. The only down side is that they not going to be exclusive to Apple but to Walmart and Target. What else should we expect from a fat faced lying Frenchman?

I can't help but be amazed at these attacks. While Stark's current work is self-explanatory (as in, I hate it), between the other guy who "never heard of him" (get out of Milton, North Dakota once in a while?) and you who's attacking an artist because he's "fat faced"...

Why not criticize him for "being gay", or "being jew" while you're at it? Personal attacks based on looks, race, age, religion, sexual orientation... are shocking, have nothing to do with the debate, and don't serve to prove any other point than you being as much of a douchebag, at least, as Stark has proven to be.

On the other hand, the amount of replies that basically say "your comments tell more about you than him" are heartening... Apple-forum dwellers are positive thinkers
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

That's why I wrote in general, I wasn't just speaking about that one designer.

As a matter of fact, I'm not even that fond of French food, as there are many other types of food that I'd put ahead of French Food, like... American etc.

The famous American Haute Cuisine.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't differentiate a risotto from a tandori chicken anyway, let alone prepare it properly.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

Sony was like that.

Maybe Sony will come back, there still are amazing designers in Japan (and other places where Sony could hire...)

It could be great to have some competition for the WOW-factor and quality that Apple has made us used to...
  • Reply 60 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.

I suspect he will be leaving his parents basement in a few years, I'm sure his attitude will improve after that.