Apple looking to build 'unibody' earbuds through ultrasonic bonding

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I have found the Sony earbuds to be more comfortable and have superior audio quality, just about the only thing Sony makes well these days lol.

Yea your right but my little MiniDisk player refuses to die. I still use it as my primary music player because the damn thing lasts almost an entire week on one AA battery. I have the version that uses 1GB MP3 disks and also have like 300 MiniDisk albums that I bought at a action for only 60 dollars. It was a crap shoot as the box was sealed but in it were brand new MiniDisks albums like Beatles, Depeche Mode and so on. Score......
  • Reply 42 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

How's the sound of the Beats in-ear earphone?

I had the beats, sound was great but the cords easily frayed and shorted out. Replaced them twice before I decided to go with Klipsch. Those are great, no problems.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Yes and yes I agree I like Apples hardware but man oh man I hate iTunes the only reason its on my computer is because I have an ipod but oh how much it sucks...please do something with it Apple

Thank god with updates to iOS we have to use iTunes less and less. I only launch it when I absolutely have to as it totally bogs down my machine. Time for a revamp of iTunes. Are you listening Eddy Cue and Jeff Robbins?
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Which Klipsch would you recommend?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I had the beats, sound was great but the cords easily frayed and shorted out. Replaced them twice before I decided to go with Klipsch. Those are great, no problems.

• Reply 45 of 59
    Yes, indeed that's why I am asking. There are literally dozens of choices out there, each with each own unique take on the earphone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

They are a testament to the power of advertising. There is much better sound quality available for far less. Check out the recommendations on headfi.org Take the Beats price and use it to buy equivalently priced products by Phonak, Denon, Klipsch, Etymotic, Sony, AKG, Radius, Audio Technica, Panasonic, Sennheiser, Shure, MEElec etc.

• Reply 46 of 59
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Good construction is great, but would they improve the actual acoustics and seal? The dual driver 100 dollar ones are decent, but they're really what should be included by default, listening to the current default ones after using better 'phones they really do sound like listening to your music through a thick blanket or something.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Which Klipsch would you recommend?

I have the S4i. Got them for less than $100 at Best Buy. Great sound quality for the price. I got burned twice with Monster in-ear headphones so staying away from them.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

How's the sound of the Beats in-ear earphone?

Personally, I like them. Not as good as the ER, but I like the no-tangle cord enough to go that route. The silicon christmas trees that ER uses are much better quality for long-wearing comfort compared to the Beats, but they seem to "break in" over time.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    I'd prefer Apple stick to what they do best- making awesome iOS devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

The dual driver 100 dollar ones are decent, but they're really what should be included by default, listening to the current default ones after using better 'phones they really do sound like listening to your music through a thick blanket or something.

• Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

By using a process known as ultrasonic bonding, Apple could create new iPhone and iPod earbuds that would have a seamless, more aesthetically pleasing "unibody"

i just want the things to be comfortable. The current ones hurt after 15 minutes .
  • Reply 51 of 59
    I am leaning towards the ER HF5. Seems like good quality without the over hyped Bose name attached to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Personally, I like them. Not as good as the ER, but I like the no-tangle cord enough to go that route. The silicon christmas trees that ER uses are much better quality for long-wearing comfort compared to the Beats, but they seem to "break in" over time.

• Reply 52 of 59
    Wow, these have really come down in price. $60 new or $31 for refurb at Amazon.

Quote:

I have the S4i. Got them for less than $100 at Best Buy. Great sound quality for the price. I got burned twice with Monster in-ear headphones so staying away from them.

• Reply 53 of 59
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I ? LOVE ? the Playback Control on my Regular iPhone 4S Headset!

Alas, the Cable is Too Short! It must be worse for taller people!

What I'd LOVE to have is:

an Extension, where Apple's Playback Control is connected directly to my iPhone 4S, and I can plug in any Earphones with Mic into that Extension! That way I could have the Best of Both!!!.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1849

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1848

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1726
  • Reply 54 of 59
    I hate these earbuds. I got the Bose in ear ones for the comfort, and now I use my hearing aids that I just got in January to stream audio to them with the included accessory. Much much much better then what apple offers. I would say that apple might have purposefully made the earbuds horrible so people would go and buy something else, hopefully apple's upgraded ones. Heck, I think people should demand apple give us non crummy earphones. That might make the average consumer realize that comfort can be had. Hell, cheep skull candy headphones are better then the crummy apple ones. I'm glad I have my hearing aids so I don't have to use the apple crud. Heck, if I had the time, I'd start an organization that would buy and give away headphones for free so people could be saved from such horrible headphones that come packed in with electronics.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

I think they should concentrate on the internals i never either bother to unpack apple iphones because they are so dire.

Apple actually does a really good job compared to other manufacturers.

That said, I've love to see some nice isolating ear buds with active noise cancellation from Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It could be kind of clever if the headphones themselves provided the ultrasound waves required for the de-burring process.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

I got burned twice with Monster in-ear headphones...

Burned? What were you listening too!!!
  • Reply 58 of 59
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It would be great if Apple could do something about the amount of sound leakage with their stock headphones.

I don't really want to have to everyone else's shitty music all day.
  • Reply 59 of 59

I know a lot of people who have issues with their Apple earbuds, but the answer is really with a new design of earbud cover. In full disclosure, I work for the company that designed the covers called Breppies. We have received great reviews for the product and they are really inexpensive while also extending the life of your earbud. Much better than foam or snap ons. You can see them at www.brepps.com.